Author Topic: 2017-18 NBA Season  (Read 204802 times)

Re: 2017-18 NBA Season
« Reply #1950 on: April 08, 2018, 01:23:04 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Great win by the Bucks sans Giannis tonight. Miami and Milwaukee are both now a full game up over Washington with each having two games left. Miami owns the tiebreakers over both teams, and Washington will own the tiebreaker over Milwaukee.

As of now to avoid Washington and play one of Miami or Milwaukee, we'll most likely need to beat them on Tuesday night. By beating them on Tuesday night, that should be enough to keep them in 8th place to give Toronto a really tough first round series, so long as Milwaukee takes care of business Monday night against Orlando.

Our most ideal situation would be for Miami to lose out and Milwaukee to win in Orlando and lose to Philly, which would then put us in line for Miami in the first round and Philly (or Milwaukee) in the second round, all of which are very winnable series that we're still probably favored in.
Not sure why you are so afraid to face Washington. They have lost 12 of their last 18 games. They've lost 4 straight. They have been awful since February.

Now maybe teams like Cleveland or the Big 3 Celtics can play poorly before the playoffs then flip a switch and be really good but this Washington team isn't Cleveland or those old Boston teams.

None of Miami, Washington or Milwaukee scare me and I could care less which of the 3 we play.

So you do care.  How much do you care, though, since you could not "not care less"?   ;)

« Reply #1951 on: April 08, 2018, 01:26:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Great win by the Bucks sans Giannis tonight. Miami and Milwaukee are both now a full game up over Washington with each having two games left. Miami owns the tiebreakers over both teams, and Washington will own the tiebreaker over Milwaukee.

As of now to avoid Washington and play one of Miami or Milwaukee, we'll most likely need to beat them on Tuesday night. By beating them on Tuesday night, that should be enough to keep them in 8th place to give Toronto a really tough first round series, so long as Milwaukee takes care of business Monday night against Orlando.

Our most ideal situation would be for Miami to lose out and Milwaukee to win in Orlando and lose to Philly, which would then put us in line for Miami in the first round and Philly (or Milwaukee) in the second round, all of which are very winnable series that we're still probably favored in.
Not sure why you are so afraid to face Washington. They have lost 12 of their last 18 games. They've lost 4 straight. They have been awful since February.

Now maybe teams like Cleveland or the Big 3 Celtics can play poorly before the playoffs then flip a switch and be really good but this Washington team isn't Cleveland or those old Boston teams.

None of Miami, Washington or Milwaukee scare me and I could care less which of the 3 we play.

So you do care.  How much do you care, though, since you could not "not care less"?   ;)
Uh..oh. The grammar police. 👮👮👮

« Reply #1952 on: April 08, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Uh..oh. The grammar police. 👮👮👮

LOL.....I couldn't resist.

I've just always found it funny how that phrase gets butchered by so many people, including even Obama.

« Reply #1953 on: April 08, 2018, 02:01:47 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
We want the Pacers to win today so the Cavs cannot clinch the tiebreaker over 76ers for #3 seed.

66-52 Pacers up over Hornets. A pretty high scoring game for the first half...

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1954 on: April 08, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
76'ers looking like they are going on win #14 in a row.  Is this team really this good without Embiid?  They certainly are on one massive hot streak.  Maybe we are better off if they fall to #4?

« Reply #1955 on: April 08, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
76'ers looking like they are going on win #14 in a row.  Is this team really this good without Embiid?  They certainly are on one massive hot streak.  Maybe we are better off if they fall to #4?

Hell no...
I have no confidence in the Sixers.. Their 15 game winning streak is a false sense of security.. They will fall back to earth come playoff time..

Much rather face em in the 2nd round if we get there than the Cavs.

« Reply #1956 on: April 08, 2018, 03:24:41 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
they are massively overachieving by playing burned out tired teams or tanking teams

Advanced stats shows without embiid, sixers are bad

« Reply #1957 on: April 08, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
they are massively overachieving by playing burned out tired teams or tanking teams

Yeah, but our team is so depleted Philly's gonna crush in the second round and go the ECF.  Then the Philly faithful will be downright incorrigible.

« Reply #1958 on: April 08, 2018, 06:02:10 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

Embiid is certainly their critical piece but the Sixers are no longer a bad team without Embiid.  Looking at full season stats, doesn't take into account the growth of their young players and their development as a team overall during the season.  It also doesn't take into account the addition of Ilyasova and Belinelli who have really improved their bench play. 

As for the playoffs, it sounds like Embiid may be ready for the 1st game.  Assuming he's healthy, he should be even tougher since there is no concern of B2Bs. 

« Reply #1959 on: April 08, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
Well I know that Philly's schedule hasn't been super demanding, but I don't think you can say that a 14 game win streak is ever a fluke, especially without their best player.  I am not sure I would rather face the Cavs, but if Embiid is back for the whole series, I am starting to wonder.

« Reply #1960 on: April 08, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

Embiid is certainly their critical piece but the Sixers are no longer a bad team without Embiid.  Looking at full season stats, doesn't take into account the growth of their young players and their development as a team overall during the season.  It also doesn't take into account the addition of Ilyasova and Belinelli who have really improved their bench play. 

As for the playoffs, it sounds like Embiid may be ready for the 1st game.  Assuming he's healthy, he should be even tougher since there is no concern of B2Bs.

I think C's probably lose to Philly in the 2nd round if both teams make it there.  That said, I think C's have a better shot v. Philly than they would v. Cleveland.   The only reason I'd rather lose to Cleveland than Philly is "optics" -- we'd be expected to lose to Cleveland but it would be a statement for Philly to beat the C's (even with no KI or GH).   Would this matter in any real way?  Probably not, but might lead mid-level FAs more toward Philly than Boston. 

Philly is on the move.  If healthy and Fultz develops they are perennial contenders for 10 years.  They also pick up the 10th(ish) pick in this year's draft.   Fultz plus #10 also give them an attractive package for a veteran if they want to go that direction. 

« Reply #1961 on: April 08, 2018, 06:41:55 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Well I know that Philly's schedule hasn't been super demanding, but I don't think you can say that a 14 game win streak is ever a fluke, especially without their best player.  I am not sure I would rather face the Cavs, but if Embiid is back for the whole series, I am starting to wonder.

Cavs have LeBron James whose got probably the most playoff experience and finals experience in the East. The 76ers haven't sniffed a postseason since the Celtics ousted them in 2012. And they have an entirely new set of casts since the last time they were in it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1962 on: April 08, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson

Cavs have LeBron James whose got probably the most playoff experience and finals experience in the East. The 76ers haven't sniffed a postseason since the Celtics ousted them in 2012. And they have an entirely new set of casts since the last time they were in it.

I still said I wasn't sure...lol.  I am fully aware of Lebron's experience.  But there is a first time for everything, and new teams eventually break through and older superstars eventually become human.  I suppose the smart money would still be on avoiding lebron, but Philly worries me as well, esp without the scoring we get from KI.

« Reply #1963 on: April 08, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson

I think C's probably lose to Philly in the 2nd round if both teams make it there.  That said, I think C's have a better shot v. Philly than they would v. Cleveland.   The only reason I'd rather lose to Cleveland than Philly is "optics" -- we'd be expected to lose to Cleveland but it would be a statement for Philly to beat the C's (even with no KI or GH).   Would this matter in any real way?  Probably not, but might lead mid-level FAs more toward Philly than Boston. 

Philly is on the move.  If healthy and Fultz develops they are perennial contenders for 10 years.  They also pick up the 10th(ish) pick in this year's draft.   Fultz plus #10 also give them an attractive package for a veteran if they want to go that direction.

Like Kawhi perhaps?   Philly certainly has the trade ammo to do it.  Now that wouldn't be a fun outcome for us.   I know we are going to be battling Philly for the east in the next few years, and would rather they not have Kawhi.

« Reply #1964 on: April 08, 2018, 07:26:41 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

Like Kawhi perhaps?   Philly certainly has the trade ammo to do it.  Now that wouldn't be a fun outcome for us.   I know we are going to be battling Philly for the east in the next few years, and would rather they not have Kawhi.

Scary for the C's for sure.  But C's getting Leonard for a package starting with JB or TR and the Sac pick would be scary to the Sixers too.    A re-boot of a great rivalry has potential of developing over the next few years.  Right now I see Embiid as the difference maker.  He's MVP caliber right now and will get even better if healthy.