Author Topic: 2020 NFL Draft thread  (Read 18255 times)

Re: 2020 NFL Draft thread
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2020, 08:10:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The more I research these guys the more happy I am with some of our picks.

Dugger is that big hybrid Bill has wanted forever. Easily slots in to replace Chung, and can matchup with TE’s way better.

Uche is a great athlete off the edge, who can replace KVN. The O-linemen the Browns took said Uche was his hardest matchup! He’s also a former teammate of Wino.

Jennings should be a solid guy who will long-term take Collins’ spot (Wise will probably get starts).

Asiasi & Keene are guys I’m really stoked about. Two of the best blocking TE’s available, and both under-utilised in their passing games at college. Feel like our offence will be a bruising one.

Rohrwasser is a weird one, but he was 14/14 in the 4th quarter... I dunno. Don’t think we needed to use a pick this early on him. Don’t know if I agree with him politically, lol.

Onwenu was a big steal for me. He’s a huge guard who has been practicing snaps, so he’s fully aware of the value of versatility for linemen. Learning behind Andrews and Shaq Mason will be great for his technique.

The other picks I don’t really care about, but Cassh Maluia is a really athletic LB. He’ll probably be a good special teamer for us.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2020, 01:24:57 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Patriots sign undrafted qb from Michigan (state)!

Next tom?

Brian Lewerke

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2020/04/26/brian-lewerke-patriots-quarterback-michigan-state/amp

He threw for a whopping 3,079 yards as a senior, and threw 17 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions.

-His sophomore year, he racked up 20 touchdown passes compared to seven interceptions.
-Ran a 4.61 40
-He played through an injured throwing shoulder.
After a breakout 2017 season,  in which he led Michigan State to a 10-3 record, Lewerke injured his throwing shoulder in an upset win over Penn State in 2018.

Video highlights: https://youtu.be/Lkug-NdH8fM

Seems pretty accurate. And his down year was due to injury

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2020, 04:37:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Next tom?

Brian Lewerke

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2020/04/26/brian-lewerke-patriots-quarterback-michigan-state/amp

He threw for a whopping 3,079 yards as a senior, and threw 17 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions.

-His sophomore year, he racked up 20 touchdown passes compared to seven interceptions.
-Ran a 4.61 40
After a breakout 2017 season,  in which he led Michigan State to a 10-3 record, Lewerke injured his throwing shoulder in an upset win over Penn State in 2018.

Think the battle between he and our other UDFA QB will make for a good battle for QB3 for the season. He’s a dual threat with a good arm, he’s just got consistency issues. However, his o-line & coaching was really bad in his last two seasons. He was really good as a sophomore.

I think with a bit of time in the pocket and some good coaching he could be a legit backup quite easily, and has starter potential (best case, obviously). However, considering the UDFA successes we’ve had, it’s not impossible!

That said, maybe Stid the Kid is a stud!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So James Develin retired today from "unforeseen complications" of his neck injury. Sad to see, but I had a bad feeling about it when it basically forced him to miss most of last season once he injured it. Also, they signed Vitale (another FB) earlier in the offseason.

I'll miss him. Develin and Gronk among others were two of our best blockers on the team all these years and contributed greatly to our SB runs the past decade. Like Slater, Develin is criminally underrated.

I do think this also explains why they double dipped at TE, with one of those TEs profiling as a blocker/future FB.

Overall, it's kind of sad to see so many key guys leave. Not just Brady, but Develin, Gostkowski, Gronk (officially traded away), etc. Some of these guys who have set and hold monumental records within the franchise.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2020, 03:13:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
OK, let’s say that you inadvertently get a tattoo that is linked to white supremacist groups.  I can accept that.  What I’m a bit more concerned about why you haven’t seen fit to have it removed in the 4+ years before now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2020, 03:44:44 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
All of the departures are a bummer, but I don't want Develin risking another injury, either. He was a FANTASTIC fullback, and he and Gronk were huge in the run game with their blocking. Let's hope that Vitale, Keene, and Asiasi can be good in that phase of the game.

As for Rohrwasser, I don't know what to think. I have no reason to doubt him when he says he originally thought it was a military-support symbol. I can also understand when people say, "Why didn't he get it changed by now?" But I can also say that I'd never heard of that symbol being linked to a far-right group until now. I mean, it's a Roman numeral, right? Maybe he figures that most people don't know of its link to that group and would just assume he likes the number 3?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2020, 04:08:12 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
All of the departures are a bummer, but I don't want Develin risking another injury, either. He was a FANTASTIC fullback, and he and Gronk were huge in the run game with their blocking. Let's hope that Vitale, Keene, and Asiasi can be good in that phase of the game.

As for Rohrwasser, I don't know what to think. I have no reason to doubt him when he says he originally thought it was a military-support symbol. I can also understand when people say, "Why didn't he get it changed by now?" But I can also say that I'd never heard of that symbol being linked to a far-right group until now. I mean, it's a Roman numeral, right? Maybe he figures that most people don't know of its link to that group and would just assume he likes the number 3?

Ehh I think he'll get the cut sooner or later. Bill don't wanna deal with things like that on his team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2020, 04:11:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
OK, let’s say that you inadvertently get a tattoo that is linked to white supremacist groups.  I can accept that.  What I’m a bit more concerned about why you haven’t seen fit to have it removed in the 4+ years before now.
cost?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
cost?

He seems to have money to get a bunch of tattoos. Covering over one would not be any more expensive.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2020, 04:59:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
cost?

He seems to have money to get a bunch of tattoos. Covering over one would not be any more expensive.
Depends a lot on what he is going to do.  Sure covering it with another tattoo probably not so expensive, but if he was actually going to have it removed, that can be pretty darn expensive depending on how many sessions he needs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
So James Develin retired today from "unforeseen complications" of his neck injury. Sad to see, but I had a bad feeling about it when it basically forced him to miss most of last season once he injured it. Also, they signed Vitale (another FB) earlier in the offseason.

I'll miss him. Develin and Gronk among others were two of our best blockers on the team all these years and contributed greatly to our SB runs the past decade. Like Slater, Develin is criminally underrated.

I do think this also explains why they double dipped at TE, with one of those TEs profiling as a blocker/future FB.

Overall, it's kind of sad to see so many key guys leave. Not just Brady, but Develin, Gostkowski, Gronk (officially traded away), etc. Some of these guys who have set and hold monumental records within the franchise.

On to the next!!

I’m ready for the new chapter. It was great that they scraped out another super bowl year before last but I been ready to move on and root for a new story line. Frankly, I had lost interest in Patriots regular season football. Bring on the scrappy overachievers!

« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

Next tom?

Brian Lewerke

-Ran a 4.61 40

My in laws went to Mich State and my wife to Michigan (during Tom Brady’s time there...always tease her about saying him and I stole her away...), so I’ve watched a fair share of Big10 and particular Mich football.
He’s a good QB, carried that state team but clearly became overmatched when he was hurt and didn’t have players around him. I think he can be coached up.

« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The thing that surprises me most about this is that it's the Patriots that let this happen to them.  Usually they seem much better about doing their homework on this sort of thing.

« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2020, 07:26:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The thing that surprises me most about this is that it's the Patriots that let this happen to them.  Usually they seem much better about doing their homework on this sort of thing.

Reminds me of Christian Peter, at least in terms of lack of appreciation for the public backlash.

« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2020, 08:34:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Reminds me of Christian Peter, at least in terms of lack of appreciation for the public backlash.

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.  Had a decent little stint with the Giants after seemingly getting his life on track, before bottoming out again after he left football.

But yeah, that was another Patriots draft pick that blew up in their face, although that was during the Parcells era, I think.