Author Topic: Kyrie Irving currently leads EC guards in All-Star fan voting  (Read 6205 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving currently leads EC guards in All-Star fan voting
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 05:26:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
If the starters don't end up as:

Kyrie/Kemba/Kawhi/Giannis/Embiid

And

Steph/Harden/LeBron/KD/AD

Then the voting needs to be done away with. This, more than most years, it's very obvious who the top 5 are in each conference. I mean it's ridiculously easy this year.

You're completely right.

And since there's meaning (even money) based to All Star appearances I believe that the 12 best players from each Conference should be in the game and not the most popular ones. And if Wade wants a goodbye game then they can organize one themselves.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 05:29:00 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Pretty crazy to see Rose and Wade where they are. While Rose doesn't deserve it, it kind of would be a cool comeback for him to make it. If Wade is voted in I feel like the league should consider doing something like a legacy spot if there is a superstar that people want to see one last time so that they don't take a spot away from somebody else. Imagine if Doncic makes it?

Also great to see Walker beating out coke zero in votes. It would be a travesty if he made it in and Walker didn't given how good walker has been.

Doesn't really matter. Fan vote is now only 50% of the total vote because of the Zaza almost-debacle.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 06:41:53 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
While I agree that Wade anywhere near the ASG would be abysmal, I don’t see what the big deal is about the fan voting.

This game is worthless, so if that’s who the most people want to see play, so be it.

Plus, the fan vote isn’t everything so I doubt Wade (or Rose) sniffs this one.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And

Then the voting needs to be done away with. This, more than most years, it's very obvious who the top 5 are in each conference. I mean it's ridiculously easy this year.
I dunno if I agree that it’s so clearcut. Beal & Oladipo both deserve consideration for the spot Kemba has (although I’d like Kemba to have it), and Paul George, especially since his 43 point game through to now, has been just as good as KD and LeBron. It’s not so simple IMO
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 07:38:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And

Depends on how to define what an All-star is. The NBA has unapologetically made the all-star game about the fans.

Besides, I definitely think you could argue for Simmons or Beal over Walker. Other than that, you are probably right.

Kemba deserves to start, don't think it is really close. For the most part, the rest of that roster is a complete dumpster fire (Batum has fossilized into a horrible player, lost Howard, Kaminsky and MKG never developed). The fact that they are .500 is basically because of Kemba single handedly. Their third leading scoring is Malik Monk!
Well he did say an argument could be made for Beal and Simmons. Not sure that's an argument that can be won, but yeah, I guess it can be made.

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 06:36:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

And

I'd have Paul George over Durant and wouldn't give it much thought.  George has been absolutely fabulous on both sides of the ball and the Thunder are sitting there with a better record than the Warriors (who frankly have looked mediocre in the games Curry missed).  Curry has missed 11 games, given that, I could easily see an argument for Lillard despite Curry's clear value to the Warriors.  And Jokic is the best player on the best team in the West while the Pelicans are a crap storm, so I could easily see Jokic getting the nod.  Oladipo is the best player on a team that is much better than the Hornets and is putting up similar stats to Kemba.  Why is Kemba an automatic?  Heck Lowry is 2nd in the league in assists and kept the Raptors humming when Kawhi was out (6-4 in the games Lowry missed but 7-2 in the games Kawhi missed). 

This idea that there are only 5 worthy people from each conference just seems strange to me.  I mean I didn't even mention Westbrook's triple double, Drummond going for 17/15, Tobias Harris having a career year while the Clippers are overperforming, Hield shooting his way to making the Kings respectable (Hield is going for 20/5 on over 43% shooting from 3), Doncic taking the league by storm and leading the Mavs to respectability, DeRozan keeping the Spurs in the playoffs, etc.  There have been a lot of very strong performances thus far this year.  It just seems disrespectful to declare only 10 people worthy of starting given that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 07:39:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And

I'd have Paul George over Durant and wouldn't give it much thought.  George has been absolutely fabulous on both sides of the ball and the Thunder are sitting there with a better record than the Warriors (who frankly have looked mediocre in the games Curry missed).  Curry has missed 11 games, given that, I could easily see an argument for Lillard despite Curry's clear value to the Warriors.  And Jokic is the best player on the best team in the West while the Pelicans are a crap storm, so I could easily see Jokic getting the nod.  Oladipo is the best player on a team that is much better than the Hornets and is putting up similar stats to Kemba.  Why is Kemba an automatic?  Heck Lowry is 2nd in the league in assists and kept the Raptors humming when Kawhi was out (6-4 in the games Lowry missed but 7-2 in the games Kawhi missed). 

This idea that there are only 5 worthy people from each conference just seems strange to me.  I mean I didn't even mention Westbrook's triple double, Drummond going for 17/15, Tobias Harris having a career year while the Clippers are overperforming, Hield shooting his way to making the Kings respectable (Hield is going for 20/5 on over 43% shooting from 3), Doncic taking the league by storm and leading the Mavs to respectability, DeRozan keeping the Spurs in the playoffs, etc.  There have been a lot of very strong performances thus far this year.  It just seems disrespectful to declare only 10 people worthy of starting given that.
I agree with all your honourable mention type guys, except for maybe Hield. It is not nearly as clear-cut as one might initially think
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 01:02:12 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Second returns (Jan 10):

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 01:43:30 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
We really need to see LeBron and Kyrie as team captains. Kyrie has some ground to make up but seems possible, when does voting end?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 07:08:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wow, Derrick Rose is well up there. I thought his voting buzz would die off as time passes.

Nice to see Doncic doing so well.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Looks like this "votes count twice" campaign is really pumping up the numbers.  There's already 6 players with at least 2 million votes (which I believe is a record), and it looks like there could end up being a few more too. maybe 8-10 when all is said and done. 

Kind of interesting looking at historical results. It looks like Magic Johnson was the first to break 1m in '86, Michael Jordan was the first player to break 2m in '97, nobody broke it again until Vince Carter in 2004.  After that there were multiple players every year getting 2m+ votes until 2012 (lockout).  Then from 2012-2017 there were no 2m+ vote getters, while last year there were 5.

Dwight Howard is the only player to crack 3m, which he did in 2009  :o

Voting differences from year to year is interesting. '89 , '90, and '91 for example.  Jordan was the top vote getter all those years, but he went from 1m in '89 to 320k im '90 back up to 1.2m in '91.  What happened in '90 for such a low voter turnout?  It wasn't just Jordan's votes that were down that year, it was everybody.

'91-'93, Jordan was the only one to break 1m.  So '94 with no Jordan it makes sense voting is down with no player at 1m+.  But '95 (before Jordan's return) things are better than ever with 6 players at 1m+. '96 (Jordan full return) every starter has 1m+ and same thing in '97 but with Jordan breaking 2m, hitting 2.451m).  But then in '98, Jordan is the only player to break 1m and barely does so at 1.028m.  So what happened in '98?  This was before the lockout, so I it's not like fans were sour about it.  No voting in '99 (lockout), but then in 2000 everything is back to normal (9 players at 1m+).

So what was happening in '90 and '98?  Did the NBA just not promote voting or try some new format that didn't work?

Also interesting the drop off from 2012-2017 with no 2m+ vote getters.  Multiple 2m+ vote getters every year from '05-'11.  The Heat superteam formed in 2011, and there was only a slight dip in LeBron and Wade's votes (still at 2m+ though), Bosh took a bigger hit, seeing his votes drop by about 50%.  Thought the superteam would actually give him more votes, probably had all of Canada voting for him before though which is probably what hurt him.  Felt like the NBA was as popular as ever from '12-'17, so surprised voting was low.  One theory I have is lack of a foreign superstar to drive international participation.  Yao was a big vote getter up until 2011, then votes dropped (but also lockout).  2018 when voting picks back up (new format) you had strong voting for Giannis, Embiid, Porzingis.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 04:05:47 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
3rd returns today

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Great that Kyrie's being recognized. But so many awful takes in those votes. Dwyane Wade ahead of Dipo and Beal is a crime. What is Derrick Rose doing in the 2 spot in the West ahead of James Harden?! Luka Doncic is ahead of Durant, George, and Davis?!?!  Uh.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Great that Kyrie's being recognized. But so many awful takes in those votes. Dwyane Wade ahead of Dipo and Beal is a crime. What is Derrick Rose doing in the 2 spot in the West ahead of James Harden?! Luka Doncic is ahead of Durant, George, and Davis?!?!  Uh.

While I don't necessarily agree with it, I feel like some times these hall of famers on their retirement tour get extra votes.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 05:11:34 PM »

Kiorrik

While I don't necessarily agree with it, I feel like some times these hall of famers on their retirement tour get extra votes.
Hence all-star game.

It's about who the public wants to see play. It's not the "best of the best" game.