Author Topic: New CSN broadcast format  (Read 4802 times)

New CSN broadcast format
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Hi all,

I was wondering, it seems from reading the thread about cousy and tommy, that some feel as me and redz do, and i just wanted to get the pulse of the blog.

the announcer changes aside, does anyone else feel that the new "mainstream" feel of the broadcast is a major mistake.

Things i dislike-

the new "nba primetime-esq" intro song

extreeemmmmmeee exploding graphics

lack of the cool player cut aways (baby spinning a ball, ect)

general tone

the new "updated" score bar that looks right out of TNT.

I was just wondering how others felt about this. I'm seriously considering starting a petition, or at least a mass email, to CSN. As i said on the other thread, this is a local broadcast, i want it local. There is a reason, when games are on CSN and national networks that i choose CSN.

soon i won't need to choose, they'll be genericly the same.

thoughts?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: New CSN broadcast format
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:57:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Even though I don't like it, I don't necessarily think it is a "mistake".  I think the new broadcast looks more "professional", and will likely appeal more to the casual fan than the older broadcast that had a little more charm. 

It is kind of like some of the "in game entertainment" stuff, which drives many of us who are there for the basketball crazy, but the Casual fans love.

Since the Casual fans are the ones most likely to stop coming at some point, it is a smart business move to try to appeal to them.

I will say one thing I did like though.  The standard definition broadcast seemed to be improved from last year (which was nearly unwatchable).  It may have just been the building, or maybe they got some new cameras or something, but I found it much easier to watch.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
I change the channel whenever gary tang comes on anyways so I don't see it being an issue.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 02:02:59 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I agree with you to an extent.  I feel like they are trying to go a little too "mainstream"

But now that I think about it I am pretty sure that I have felt that way just about every season.  Not only on CSN but with NESN also.  After about a couple of weeks or a month we will just get used to it.  I especially felt like that last season with the hiring of Donny Marshall and that Blonde girl (whose name I forget) because I didn't believe they were real Celtics diehards, like Gary and Greg, but rather just pretty faces who know how to talk on TV.  But I eventually got used to it and kind of embraced it.

As long as they keep all of the reporters and announcers TRUE diehard celtics fans then the new graphics don't really bother me.  Those things are going to be different every season anyways.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 02:05:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I agree with you to an extent.  I feel like they are trying to go a little too "mainstream"

But now that I think about it I am pretty sure that I have felt that way just about every season.  Not only on CSN but with NESN also.  After about a couple of weeks or a month we will just get used to it.  I especially felt like that last season with the hiring of Donny Marshall and that Blonde girl (whose name I forget) because I didn't believe they were real Celtics diehards, like Gary and Greg, but rather just pretty faces who know how to talk on TV.  But I eventually got used to it and kind of embraced it.

As long as they keep all of the reporters and announcers TRUE diehard celtics fans then the new graphics don't really bother me.  Those things are going to be different every season anyways.

This is a good point.  I think a lot of the problem is that it takes a little while to get used to anything new.

It is like when they switched to the wider angle view of the mound on red sox broadcasts in the middle of this season.  It was really distracting for a couple of weeks, but by the end of the season, it just seemed normal.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Whatever they do, don't bring back the "Sportschannel box".  I think that was the closest I ever came to swearing off a team.   ;)

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If they're going for the national feel, they should make it look like this.  Crazy 3-D graphics n stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB4k5qc6HIs&feature=related
Yup

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I agree that graphics are outdated, but i like the content of the show.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15
Just be glad you weren't stuck watching the game on the NBA TV feed.  Worst picture quality I've seen in a long time.  Almost unwatchable at points.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 04:33:02 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I have two things to add here.

The shot clock display is constantly red, which is really going to be hard to get used to. I constantly found myself looking up at the thing.

I think they finally got rid of the score ticker at the bottom that distorted the screen badly. It used to be the biggest pet peeve for me.

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I change the channel whenever gary tang comes on anyways so I don't see it being an issue.
Agreed.

And from the broadcast on Wednesday night, did I understand them to say that Dickerson has pro-created?  Up to the devil's bizness.  Way to go Greg.  And 14 pounds at 5 weeks.  Holy "Big Baby" Batman! Watch out, Glen Davis.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 06:52:10 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
Agreed.

And from the broadcast on Wednesday night, did I understand them to say that Dickerson has pro-created?  Up to the devil's bizness.  Way to go Greg.  And 14 pounds at 5 weeks.  Holy "Big Baby" Batman! Watch out, Glen Davis.

I can tolerate Greg. Gary is just garbage.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 09:11:51 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
ehh i'm okay with the new look. i'll get use to it.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 11:09:03 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
What's wrong with Gary?
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 11:09:59 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I don't know what the new CSN format looks like because I no longer live in New England. But when CSN replaced Fox Sports Net, I got use to CSN and forgot what Fox Sports format looked like. Same with the Celticsblog forums. I forgot what the old one looks like now. I think in a couple games or so you guys will get use to it.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6