Author Topic: 76ers get 'barometer" vs. champs  (Read 3601 times)

76ers get 'barometer" vs. champs
« on: October 09, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »

Offline joeb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/27093857/

Are you kidding me? Pre-season game #1 a barometer?

Re: 76ers get 'barometer" vs. champs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:33:49 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
if big three played the entire game, it would have been a different story. scratch that, if rondo played the whole game, there's no way williams score 27 or whatever he scored.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:38:04 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, our starting five from last season *did* play a combined 72 minutes, after all.  Barometer, indeed.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
yea, if you just went starter on starter, we won by about 20 points.

comments from the other side is hillarious today, you'd think they won the championship because they beat our 2nd and 3rd string bench units with a mix of thier starters and 6th and 7th man.   :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Didn't mention in that article that when the Celts had the starters in against their starters we where up 12. The only came back when we had all of our bench players in. Philly can take all the preseason wins they want. We'll take care of them when it matters.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 11:45:21 AM »

Offline joeb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
Something to get used to. Tommy mentioned during the telecast last night, every team will be gunning for us and if they win it will make their week. Of course, I naively thought we had to wait for the start of the regular season for that ::)

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
We'll see how they feel once the season actually starts, I think Philly is obviously going to be better, but is coming into the season vastly overrated.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I hope we lose every preseason game. Give other teams false hope. I see a lot of blow outs during the regular season. Bench needs to be ready for these games.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I watched the game on NBA TV and they announcers were from Boston. Even if I was a Boston fan, if I had to listen to those guys every game of the year, I would shoot myself. They were clueless about anyone on the Sixers and just made the dumbest comments.

"Louis Williams can score! I'm not sure if he can do anything else, but he can score."

"Look at Eddie dribble the ball!" *Eddie House dribbling the ball up to half court with no Sixers defender even paying attention to him yet*

"Tony Allen just blew by that guy and then got fouled by that guy." *Keep in mind that "that guy" and "that guy" were recognizable names on the Sixers*

I had to stop watching the game in the 3rd because they were driving me crazy.

From a Philly fan on another board.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
76ers are stupid....... it's like saying you won the championship during gym class.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 02:48:19 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I watched the game on NBA TV and they announcers were from Boston. Even if I was a Boston fan, if I had to listen to those guys every game of the year, I would shoot myself. They were clueless about anyone on the Sixers and just made the dumbest comments.

"Louis Williams can score! I'm not sure if he can do anything else, but he can score."

"Look at Eddie dribble the ball!" *Eddie House dribbling the ball up to half court with no Sixers defender even paying attention to him yet*

"Tony Allen just blew by that guy and then got fouled by that guy." *Keep in mind that "that guy" and "that guy" were recognizable names on the Sixers*

I had to stop watching the game in the 3rd because they were driving me crazy.

From a Philly fan on another board.

Uh? What is that gentleman complaining about? Doesn't he know the players on his own team? Doesn't he know what Louis Williams can do or who are those other guys? Does he need the announcers to tell him those things? Crappy fan.

Personally, when I'm watching games which are broadcasted by he pt channel, I miss Tommy. I like to mock his bias on the officiating, but he's pure greatness. I may understand fans of other teams finding him a little annoying, but if those guys are so sensitive, they should mute or turn off the tv. He's doing the color commentaries to the Celtics fans, not to them. Too bad if he hurts theirs feelings.

Tommy knows more about basketball than the entire population of Pennsylvania. That young Philadelphian should man up.

On topic, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that they did outscore our starters on those 20 minutes they played. Absolutely meaningless though, as any pre-season game.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 02:57:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
The first of many, many, many litmus tests for the Sixers.

By the look of that game Phily have a lot to work on over the next couple of months.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

By the look of that game Phily have a lot to work on over the next couple of months.

I don't care much for execution at this point in time, but wasn't Brand particularly kind of heavy/slow, lacking fluidness and explosiveness?

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

I don't care much for execution at this point in time, but wasn't Brand particularly kind of heavy/slow, lacking fluidness and explosiveness?
Yes I thought the same thing. Brand did not look good, also, he looked mentally slow ... in his decision making at recognition of his options. Some of his teammates looked uncomfortable playing off of him too. So there's a fair bit of work to be done there.

Likely just early day problems. Be interesting to see how much they've grown after the first month or two of the regular season.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'

Yes I thought the same thing. Brand did not look good, also, he looked mentally slow ... in his decision making at recognition of his options. Some of his teammates looked uncomfortable playing off of him too. So there's a fair bit of work to be done there.

Likely just early day problems. Be interesting to see how much they've grown after the first month or two of the regular season.

in the offseason before the 07-08 season, Jackie Mac said of the Celtics acquiring a big star by trading away such a greta prospect as Big Al:

"I don't like Al Jefferson, I love him.  But there's a difference between Elton Brand and Kevin Garnett."

I think this is a simple idea but it says a lot.  Brand is a fantastic player, and I don't take much from preseason games about how a proven big man will adjust to a new team (call me crazy but I think Philly is going to be nasty this year) but he has always been limited.  He can't be enough to shoulder a team, as KG can. 

Although Brand will play very well for the 76ers eventually, he's spent much of his prime injured.  I don't think anyone should expect him to be more than a Carlos Boozer type, I wouldn't want to hang my hat on him.