Author Topic: Scalabrine  (Read 10752 times)

Scalabrine
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:49:46 AM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
He looked awful last night.. couldn't make a shot, turned it over a few times, couldn't play D..
I know the roster needs to be downsized, is there any chance he would get cut?
Would you rather have miles over scal?

Re: Scalabrine
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:53:08 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I just don't see him getting cut.  If the Celtics decide to keep Miles (which I think is a longshot if they want the rookies to get minutes) they will make a trade to create roster space.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:54:16 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
He looked awful last night.. couldn't make a shot, turned it over a few times, couldn't play D..
I know the roster needs to be downsized, is there any chance he would get cut?
Would you rather have miles over scal?

no shot, and yes i would.

heck, he even got destroyed on deefnse last night (scal) which i thought was supposed to offset his horrid flaws in every other area of the game.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:01:25 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
I've never been a Scal defender, but i've never minded his presence on the team as his contract isn't overly burdensome, he probably leads the team in charity work, and he's never really complained about his relegation to the bench.  However, if cutting Scal means i no longer have to listen to the "scal-a-briiiin-e" chants then i'm all for cutting him.

I know there were several threads last season that addressed this issue, but i just don't see the purpose of this chant.  It's somewhere in between supportive and mocking, yet he's done nothing (good or bad) to deserve recognition in the form of a chant.  Personally, i think that the chant has to do with the fact that he's a goofy-looking white guy, and nothing else.

Wish we could start a petition to bar all Scalabrine chants from the Garden...that is, until he actually contributes in a meaningful fashion.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Scal looked lost and everybody knows he's still here because of his contract, otherwise he'll be gone. Unfortunately I don't think Danny will cut him...

I don't want to see anybody else cut, only Scal

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:45:07 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Sorry, but I'm a long time Scal basher. Nothing I saw last night changed that. That might have been the first time I've seen someone, unpresured, turn the ball over twice on the same possion. When Tommy yelled "get a stick and kill that thing" I was hoping he was talking about Scal.
Take the hit. Please just cut this guy. I really can't stomach the thought of watcking him for another year.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Yeah, buy him out. Please. This guy is beyond horrible. He doesn't do anything on the court productively. He is the butt of jokes on the team. I understand he does charity work and all but guess what, there are better potential 15th men in the NBA and Scal... well, I'm surpised he even made the varsity team in HS. He is so totally devoid of skills, and he looks fatter than ever before.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Every team needs a Kevin Millar, Scal is ours. He has one of the few financially movable contracts on the team, unfortunately that is way more valuable than his play.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I have always thought that as a 15th man, you could do worse than Scal, a guy who won't complain, accepts his role, etc., unlike many who would be gnashing their teeth in that role and could be divisive to the team.  However, off of that performance last night, it is crystal clear to me that he is indeed 16th on the depth chart.  Clearly, because of contractual issues, who is cut(or traded) isn't solely based on talent, but if that were the only criteria, Scal would be the one to go.   This is not a huge knock on Scal for me, you can't judge a player based on one game, but rather, seeing who the other 15 are compared to him, he just should not make this team at the expense of one of the other 15.  Here's hoping through releasing him or trading him, he ends up being the one to go, not Pruitt, Miles, or anyone else on the roster.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Every team needs a Kevin Millar, Scal is ours. He has one of the few financially movable contracts on the team, unfortunately that is way more valuable than his play.

then we need to move him, because if we cut pruitt or miles, both of whom are wayyyy more useful than scal, i'll be ticked.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 10:59:54 AM »

Offline Petro

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 6
Scal is horrible period. he does not belong in the NBA. I'm sure he's a likable guy , great teamate etc. but he has no business being on the NBA floor. And I'm not just saying this because of last night I have watched him with the Nets as well when I would go to Net games and I was baffled that Danny gave him that contract. By gar Danny's worst free agent signing. I've been saying this since the day they signed him. But boy what great way to make a living if your Scal.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

then we need to move him, because if we cut pruitt or miles, both of whom are wayyyy more useful than scal, i'll be ticked.

how is pruitt more "useful" than Scal?  What has he done except make a nice pass last night in a preseason game or drop 20 in the d-league?

Scal is a smart and serviceable player.  He's also making 3M.

Pruitt is gonzo and Scal is here to stay.  Get over it.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 11:16:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Has Miles really locked up a spot?  Did he play that much better then the rookie?   

If they are close, Miles is gone as they will allow the rookie to develop. 

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 11:20:59 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

how is pruitt more "useful" than Scal?  What has he done except make a nice pass last night in a preseason game or drop 20 in the d-league?

Scal is a smart and serviceable player.  He's also making 3M.

Pruitt is gonzo and Scal is here to stay.  Get over it.

what, pray tell has been servicable about scal for the last 2 seasons while he's sat around balloning up to ham sandwich size?

passing? opps, he's bad at that

rebounding? lets move along.

shooting? nope, just last night he airballed 2 open looks and clanged 3 others.

defense? nope, got toasted last night, as he did in his limited times last year.

offensive awarness? nope, he through the ball away 3 times last night anticipating a cut that never came, and once when he saw the cut and threw the ball 5 feet behind the cutter.

so what, pray tell, is "servicable" about him? the fact that he's still breathing?

i'm so sick and tired of the "well sure, i mean, he's not a good basketball player, but he's cerebral about the game!"

h does nothing. N-O-T-H-I-N-G that is useful to us.

seriously, name me one thing he's even average at, and not from 2 years ago. from right now, with a new spare tire around the waist.

your right in that he won't be the cut because of his terrable contract, but dont tell me he's worth something. He's a terrable player, easily the worst we have.

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 11:23:18 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I bet Scal will holster his shots much better in the regular see when (if) he gets on the court.  I think he just saw it as probably one of the few opportunities he'll have this season of getting a guaranteed 15 minutes of PT regardless of what he did and launched a few.  At least I hope.

He did have a nice touch pass near the hoop to Big Baby(?).

After keeping him around for so frustratingly long, the Celtics can't just cut him now when his contract is finally becoming a valuable trading asset.