Author Topic: Compelling Argument on why Boston needs to trade Rondo now  (Read 10134 times)

Re: Compelling Argument on why Boston needs to trade Rondo now
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2013, 09:40:02 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
I find it funny that the Green lensed glasses homers on here can't make much of a legitimate argument rebutting the article and instead choose to just rip the guy. He makes some valid points. He doesn't try and state it is absolute fact and will happen, rather is presenting a rational thought process behind why it might make sense to trade the guy.

Kennedy argument : Facts mixed with opinions

Homers argument : Nuh Uh! You're an idiot! Rondo is the greatest player ever!!

::)
Rondo is a great player on a great contract. He is one of the greatest pgs of his time
Just checked twitter today.  Thought it was funny that some fans are already prepping to steal Rondo from our down-in-the-dumps team in 2015:

Evan Roberts ‏@JoeandEvan 1 Jul

When the Knicks have major cap room in summer of 2015, I have noticed Rondo, Love and Hibbert as big free agents

Rafael Villegas ‏@inhalethebeat 1h

So I've been thinking.. maybe the Rockets are trying to make a run in the 2015 free agency. Rondo and Aldridge are two notable free agents..

That "contract" isn't as favorable as some like to believe.  An injury prone player like Rondo... we'll be lucky to see him even play half of the games over the final two years of that contract... and then good luck trying to sign him to an extension... Wonder how "favorable" his next contract will be. 

Fact is, Boston's probably not making the playoffs over the next two years even WITH a healthy Rondo.  That's one of the key points of this guy's article... even if you think you can sign Rondo to an extension, Boston's not going to be a threat to win anything until Rondo's next contract... when he'll be in his 30s and he'll likely be overpaid.

So I guess CP3 must be 'injury prone' as well.  Rondo has had 1 significant injury during his whole career, the latest acl partial tear.  Does that make him injury prone?  What I have read on Rondo's recovery has been good so far as well.  I haven't heard 1 single report of a setback or any reason not to expect that he will be healthy again.  Assuming he will only play 1/2 of the games in the next two years doesn't match up with Rondo's history as a player.  It doesn't make any sense. 

Total games played since 2006-2007 season:

Rondo - 475+92 (playoff) = 567

Chris Paul - 477 + 40(playoff) = 517

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

One of the dumbest, articles I have seen regarding Rondo. I am convinced some folks are trying to make his value low via perception and in doing so help another team get him. Yeah...conspiracy...but I cannot begin to fathom what drives this?

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2013, 09:47:16 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
That "contract" isn't as favorable as some like to believe.  An injury prone player like Rondo... we'll be lucky to see him even play half of the games over the final two years of that contract... and then good luck trying to sign him to an extension... Wonder how "favorable" his next contract will be. 

Fact is, Boston's probably not making the playoffs over the next two years even WITH a healthy Rondo.  That's one of the key points of this guy's article... even if you think you can sign Rondo to an extension, Boston's not going to be a threat to win anything until Rondo's next contract... when he'll be in his 30s and he'll likely be overpaid.

Lol.

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2013, 09:54:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I find it funny that the Green lensed glasses homers on here can't make much of a legitimate argument rebutting the article and instead choose to just rip the guy. He makes some valid points. He doesn't try and state it is absolute fact and will happen, rather is presenting a rational thought process behind why it might make sense to trade the guy.

Kennedy argument : Facts mixed with opinions

Homers argument : Nuh Uh! You're an idiot! Rondo is the greatest player ever!!

::)
Rondo is a great player on a great contract. He is one of the greatest pgs of his time
Just checked twitter today.  Thought it was funny that some fans are already prepping to steal Rondo from our down-in-the-dumps team in 2015:

Evan Roberts ‏@JoeandEvan 1 Jul

When the Knicks have major cap room in summer of 2015, I have noticed Rondo, Love and Hibbert as big free agents

Rafael Villegas ‏@inhalethebeat 1h

So I've been thinking.. maybe the Rockets are trying to make a run in the 2015 free agency. Rondo and Aldridge are two notable free agents..

So I guess CP3 must be 'injury prone' as well.  Rondo has had 1 significant injury during his whole career, the latest acl partial tear.  Does that make him injury prone?  What I have read on Rondo's recovery has been good so far as well.  I haven't heard 1 single report of a setback or any reason not to expect that he will be healthy again.  Assuming he will only play 1/2 of the games in the next two years doesn't match up with Rondo's history as a player.  It doesn't make any sense. 

Total games played since 2006-2007 season:

Rondo - 475+92 (playoff) = 567

Chris Paul - 477 + 40(playoff) = 517

Be careful. If you try and apply some of the "logic" that people use about Rondo to other stars in the league people's heads may explode.

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Compelling Argument on why Boston needs to trade Rondo now

Do not open topics talking about Rondo trade because this will influence the health of some people on this forum...This is a friendly advice

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
We should consider trying to trade away Avery Bradley too. It's just that he's only able to concentrate on defense because he plays with other good players and he's not really as good as people think and in a few years he'll be a free agent.  Plus he's been hurt once and said he was still playing hurt so we'll probably be lucky if he plays most of his games. 

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Article is harsh but it's also realistic.
Everyone is saying 'why trade him now, why not wait till his value goes back up'. What if his value doesn't go back up?
We have 2 seasons left and in those two seasons you'd assume if we don't put a contending cast around him then he's gone as a free agent in 2015 anyway.

Look at his defense as an example- he used to be an absolute pitbull, but as time's gone by, it's regressed.

It's a perfectly reasonable argument to question that without the good shooters he had around him for the past 5 seasons, that his stats and game will suffer. He has improved his jumpshot but I don't know if the perception about his jumpshot has changed that much.
People are calling it all lies and misinformation but the stats he's given aren't made up. ACL injuries generally induce a decline. Add that to the probability that now Rondo will carry more of a load on his shoulders offensively than ever before and his rough and tumble style of play is going to increase as well.

I love him. He's a warrior. He's been Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. on by critics for having NBA legends as team mates. I don't think this writer has been completely fair but he hasn't been completely unfair as some on Celticsblog are suggesting.

I see two options for Ainge.
Trade Rondo and keep Humphries and Wallace (if he can't package one of them in a Rondo trade). Or move Wallace and Humphries and let Rondo stay, hoping to bink a 2014 top 5 pick and then reloading around the pick and Rondo in 2015 free agency.

Keeping Rondo, Humphries and Wallace just makes us slightly too good to be anything other than mediocre/wasting our time.

Wyc, Danny and the owners are 'championship or bust' kinda guys. Sputtering through to the 8th seed or 10th place in the East is not going to happen under their guide.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Everyone is saying 'why trade him now, why not wait till his value goes back up'. What if his value doesn't go back up?
We have 2 seasons left and in those two seasons you'd assume if we don't put a contending cast around him then he's gone as a free agent in 2015 anyway.

Look at his defense as an example- he used to be an absolute pitbull, but as time's gone by, it's regressed.

It's a perfectly reasonable argument to question that without the good shooters he had around him for the past 5 seasons, that his stats and game will suffer. He has improved his jumpshot but I don't know if the perception about his jumpshot has changed that much.
People are calling it all lies and misinformation but the stats he's given aren't made up. ACL injuries generally induce a decline. Add that to the probability that now Rondo will carry more of a load on his shoulders offensively than ever before and his rough and tumble style of play is going to increase as well.

I love him. He's a warrior. He's been **** on by critics for having NBA legends as team mates. I don't think this writer has been completely fair but he hasn't been completely unfair as some on Celticsblog are suggesting.

I see two options for Ainge.
Trade Rondo and keep Humphries and Wallace (if he can't package one of them in a Rondo trade). Or move Wallace and Humphries and let Rondo stay, hoping to bink a 2014 top 5 pick and then reloading around the pick and Rondo in 2015 free agency.

Keeping Rondo, Humphries and Wallace just makes us slightly too good to be anything other than mediocre/wasting our time.

Wyc, Danny and the owners are 'championship or bust' kinda guys. Sputtering through to the 8th seed or 10th place in the East is not going to happen under their guide.

I think it's more likely that the C's end up with Wallace this year despite Danny's efforts and whether or not Rondo stays.  Humphries and Bass, I think, he'll be able to more or less give away.

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
You know who's totally overrated as a pg? Tony Parker. He's just always had such good teammates. Plus he's 31, which is past his prime. They should probably just trade him now. Take like 70 cents on the dollar. You just know he's going to want a raise at some point

And Mike Conley. That guy just has good teammates. Most of his career now.

And Jeremy Lin. The guy has been around at least one all star at all times.

And Stephen Curry. I mean David Lee and Andrew Bogut? Geeze.

And don't even get me started on Russell Westbrook or Ricky Rubio.

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2013, 10:58:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Not on the 27 prime is was not.

Plenty of articles about keeping him, too.  Anyone can post articles that amount to little more than opinions that match theirs.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/pros_and_colleges/x853683457/Megliola-Celtics-should-keep-Rondo-in-the-fold

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/ainge-looks-keep-rondo-rebuilding-celtics

http://bostontitletown.sportsblog.com/post/100064/the_celtics_should_keep_rondo.html

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2013, 11:02:18 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Do not open topics talking about Rondo trade because this will influence the health of some people on this forum...This is a friendly advice

TP. Solid advice.

But the threads are such fun to read, and the thread total would drop by 40 percent on this blog if Rondo leaves . I'd hate to see Rondo traded for that reason alone.
 ;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

TP. Solid advice.

But the threads are such fun to read.

;D

Not half as fun as reading all the posts from the people who were telling everyone that the team's offense would be perfectly fine without Rondo before we set records for offensive ineptness while playing against a poor defensive team in the playoffs. They actually joke around with each other about how all the people who were right about Rondo are still "spouting their nonsense". It's not just amusing because they're consistently wrong about what they say, but they're extremely smug about it.