Author Topic: CBS - playoff whisperer  (Read 1501 times)

CBS - playoff whisperer
« on: August 23, 2018, 06:45:53 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I wrote some facts that most of us probably know, but I definitely find them worth mentioning again in the wake of the 18-19 season and our stacked roster. Brad finds the best mix of guys, regardless of the roster quality.

2015-16 playoffs, 1st round vs Atlanta (3rd)
We are trailing 2:0 in the series.
Brad inserts Jonas Jerebko in the starting lineup (15,1 regular season mpg, salary 5 mil$)
We unprobably win the next 2 games to tie it at 2:2, but we eventually lose due to injuries and less talent.

2016-17 playoffs, 1st round vs Bulls (8th)
We are trailing 2:0 in the series.
Brad inserts Gerald Green in the starting lineup (11,4 regular season mpg, salary 1,4 mil$)
We win the next 2 games with him in the lineup and then 2 more to win it 4:2, we won due to this adjustment, more talent, and a Rondo injury.

2017-18 playoffs, 1st round vs Bucks (7th)
We are tied at 2:2 in the series.
Brad inserts a rookie Semi Ojeleye in the starting lineup (15,8 regular season mpg, salary 1,3 mil$)
We win the next 2 out of 3 games and win the series due to this adjustment, home court, and M.Smarts return.

On average in our last 3 1st round playoff series, Brad Stevens used a bench warmer/role player (14 mpg, 3 mil$) to the positive effect (at least 2 playoff wins or to advance in the 2nd round). All are a sort of a PF. Not your usual suspects to pivot in such right direction. I can't recall a similar feat in NBA history. Please tell if similar happened before.

Call me an optimist, but with Brad finally getting a roster he deserves, I believe we will chase the best record in the league this year and the home court advantage in the finals. I expect a 64/65 win team even with some injuries. Brad always seems to find a way, especially with a deep roster such as this.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:41:51 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: CBS - playoff whisperer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:43:46 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I could be wrong but I feel like most NBA coaches adhere to the philosophy that you play your best players as much as possible while Stevens seems more interested in match-ups.

I heard Jeff Van Gundy talk about it one time, saying messing with the starting lineup isn't something he did while he was a coach but has come around to the idea watching what Stevens does and he thinks he would do it more now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 10:06:59 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I could be wrong but I feel like most NBA coaches adhere to the philosophy that you play your best players as much as possible while Stevens seems more interested in match-ups.

I heard Jeff Van Gundy talk about it one time, saying messing with the starting lineup isn't something he did while he was a coach but has come around to the idea watching what Stevens does and he thinks he would do it more now.
I feel like the best paid players play by GMs influence. They need to approve their spendings and if a highly paid player is sitting, it would be impossible.
GM has a safe seat, Brad puts out the best lineups.
GM is on a hot seat, Earl Watson plays less optimal ones.

Remember that GMs can fire Head coaches.
Excluding the ones with a dual role, as they would never do it. GM fear just star players and ownership.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:39:12 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I feel like the best paid players play by GMs influence. They need to approve their spendings and if a highly paid player is sitting, it would be impossible.
GM has a safe seat, Brad puts out the best lineups.
GM is on a hot seat, Earl Watson plays less optimal ones.

Remember that GMs can fire Head coaches.
Excluding the ones with a dual role, as they would never do it. GM fear just star players and ownership.

TP
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:57:38 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

2017-18 playoffs, 1st round vs Bucks (7th)
We are tied at 2:2 in the series.
Brad inserts a rookie Semi Ojeleye in the starting lineup (15,8 regular season mpg, salary 1,3 mil$)
We win the next 2 out of 3 games to tie it at 2:2, and win due to this adjustment, home court, and M.Smarts return.

On average in our last 3 1st round playoff series, Brad Stevens used a bench warmer/role player (14 mpg, 3 mil$) to the positive effect (at least 2 playoff wins or to advance in the 2nd round). All are a sort of a PF. Not your usual suspects to pivot in such right direction. I can't recall a similar feat in NBA history. Please tell if similar happened before.

Call me an optimist, but with Brad finally getting a roster he deserves, I believe we will chase the best record in the league this year and the home court advantage in the finals. I expect a 64/65 win team even with some injuries. Brad always seems to find a way, especially with a deep roster such as this.
Does it seem like to anyone else that Semi has been around longer then 1 year? I had to think for a minute when you said "a rookie" when referring to Semi. I guess it was because he was getting minutes early and often, especially with Marcus Morris missing time with his knee issues early in the season.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 12:59:38 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I think we were supposed to lose that series against the Bulls, if not for the Rondo injury.

But alas we impossibly stole two straight games on the road to reclaim HCA, followed by trouncing them in Boston and in Chicago. And then went on to go neck and neck with the Wizards.

But I still like 2017-2018 run more. Celtics were really 9 points shy in a Game 7 of making their first NBA finals appearance in forever.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 05:03:57 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I just can't wait to see this team in the playoffs.
If Brad can make the aforementioned guys look solid on a good team (interestingly now Jerebko is in GSW, Green is in Houston, 2 contenders), imagine what can he do with 5 high-level starters along with 6/7 high level reserves that give a lot of versatility.

And these are not some OK vets with a half-empty tank, these are hungry and able young men looking for career accomplishments and life securing money.

65-17, Banner no. 18 in 10 months.