Author Topic: Warriors (34-14) at Celtics (30-18) GAme #49 1/26/19  (Read 38656 times)

Re: Warriors (34-14) at Celtics (30-18) GAme #49 1/26/19
« Reply #795 on: January 27, 2019, 12:02:58 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Problem is down the stretch other guys have to contribute. Morris was a no show most of the game. Tatum made nothing in the 4th. It was Kyrie and a little bit of Al.

GS shot 16 FTs in the 4th. I don't think Boston got to the line at all
Unfortunately the FT disparity is part and parcel of each team.  We don’t get to the line, and they do.

Yes I agree Boston settles too much for long 3s but GS got come calls tonight. The call on Al on Durant on his 3 was terrible. Same with the call on Mook on Durant. Refs anticipate fouls on Curry and Durant and then call them

If you are talking about the calls I think you are, both were fouls. Al hit Durants arm. Maybe you could argue it was before the shot but it was a foul. It wasn't  the refs tonight guys.

Morris did not touch Durant on the 3-pointer. Literally did not touch him.

Unfortunately he did. Those were both fouls

They called the Cs much tighter than the Warriors. Kyrie could of had several and ones in the 4th and did not get any calls.

You can disagree with it being a shooting foul maybe, but Horford did touch Durants arm on the 3 pointer.

« Reply #796 on: January 27, 2019, 12:04:47 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Regarding Brown:  I actually think it's time to ramp up his usage off the bench.  Give him some of the playmaking duties that are currently going to Hayward.  Let's see what he does with them.  He's a lesser passer than Hayward, but I do think he's shown some progress in that department.  And he's much more of an scoring threat than either Hayward or Rozier this season.  His ability to force the issue in the paint is something we otherwise lack on our roster. 

I'm all but done with the Rozier-off-the-bench experiment.  I don't know why he sucks off the bench, but it's nonetheless the case.  He made one play all night.  And while I still believe in Hayward long-term, I don't think he's going to return to form this season.  So let's put the ball in the hands of the guy who is occasionally able to do something positive with it.

Agree. If your offensive initiator can't get into the paint, can't beat anybody and is afraid to shoot at times your offense is gonna be bad. that's what we saw tonight. Brown can't give you worse than nothing in that department, let him run some stuff, make some mistakes, and see where it goes.

I guess giving Brown some more chances in PnR, and running a few more plays for him can't really hurt.  I mean Gordon isn't really trying to get his, we might as well put Jaylen in as many positions as possible to exploit a good matchup.  Thing is, having a more pass first point guard on the 2nd team might help that process as well.

« Reply #797 on: January 27, 2019, 12:08:00 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Regarding Brown:  I actually think it's time to ramp up his usage off the bench.  Give him some of the playmaking duties that are currently going to Hayward.  Let's see what he does with them.  He's a lesser passer than Hayward, but I do think he's shown some progress in that department.  And he's much more of an scoring threat than either Hayward or Rozier this season.  His ability to force the issue in the paint is something we otherwise lack on our roster. 

I'm all but done with the Rozier-off-the-bench experiment.  I don't know why he sucks off the bench, but it's nonetheless the case.  He made one play all night.  And while I still believe in Hayward long-term, I don't think he's going to return to form this season.  So let's put the ball in the hands of the guy who is occasionally able to do something positive with it.

Agree. If your offensive initiator can't get into the paint, can't beat anybody and is afraid to shoot at times your offense is gonna be bad. that's what we saw tonight. Brown can't give you worse than nothing in that department, let him run some stuff, make some mistakes, and see where it goes.

I guess giving Brown some more chances in PnR, and running a few more plays for him can't really hurt.  I mean Gordon isn't really trying to get his, we might as well put Jaylen in as many positions as possible to exploit a good matchup.  Thing is, having a more pass first point guard on the 2nd team might help that process as well.

I don't disagree. I think letting brown run some stuff might help him get more involved, and I remember thinking he has some decent feel for the pick and roll last year in limited opportunities. Tatum maybe even more so, but its a greater need on the bench. I would not be against swapping Rozier for a better pass first point, its a minor move that could help a lot. Just not sure who that guy would be.

« Reply #798 on: January 27, 2019, 12:15:34 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I don't disagree. I think letting brown run some stuff might help him get more involved, and I remember thinking he has some decent feel for the pick and roll last year in limited opportunities. Tatum maybe even more so, but its a greater need on the bench. I would not be against swapping Rozier for a better pass first point, its a minor move that could help a lot. Just not sure who that guy would be.

I disagree. Brown has been a pretty subpar ball handler this year. I wouldn’t want him running PnR.

That said, I hate when GH runs the offense. When he dribbles at the top of the key and motions for Baynes to set a screen and then he goes right? That usually results in a weak drive where 10 secs of the shot clock is wasted, or a jumper by the elbow which is hit or miss. Ugh!

I think we need to run more post action for brown! Put him in spots where he can succeed: one dribble away from the basket.
- LilRip

« Reply #799 on: January 27, 2019, 12:17:09 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We need a vet coach or some vet players.  This combo isn’t working.

I'm a little baffled at this conclusion after that game.  Basically played the Warriors toe to toe throughout the game.  And could have won if they'd boarded a FT.   You conclude Coach-Player combo isn't working after tonight?  Worked pretty well tonight.

We’ve got too many inexperienced guys that don’t know how to finish the games and a coach that doesn’t know how to get the most out of his players, rotate in, or call timeouts properly.  Yes, something needs to change.  Warriors missed a ton of shots down the stretch so let’s not act like it was close.  And the only reason it was was because of vet guys like Al and kyrie.  Seems kyrie was right about his assessment of the team...too inexperienced.  We’ll see who they are in the playoffs.

« Reply #800 on: January 27, 2019, 12:24:22 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Lots of things can be said about tonight's game, but I'll just point out this:

GSW top 3 (Durant / Curry / Thompson) = 78 points

BOS top 3 (Irving / Horford / Tatum) = 74 points

Final margin (115- 111) = 4 points

Boston is right there with GSW

« Reply #801 on: January 27, 2019, 12:31:06 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The bench lost them this game. They need to get rid of Rozier for a 3&D guard and allow Hayward to run that unit. Brown had a strong game imo. They need to figure that situation out because the starters went toe to toe with the GS starters and held their own. Shame that the other guys just didn’t do anything to pick those guys up.

« Reply #802 on: January 27, 2019, 12:38:37 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Can we sticky this somewhere?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #803 on: January 27, 2019, 12:47:23 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Lol we lost by 4 points to one of the greatest modern-day dynasties in the NBA, an all-star team that added Cousins and yet all I’m seeing here is “trade Kyrie! Hayward should retire! We’re doomed! Trade and rebuild!”  ::)

Yeah it was a tough loss but good grief...

Well we do have high expectations, [dang it]!! I was disappointed we didn't win by 30 ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #804 on: January 27, 2019, 12:53:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Can we sticky this somewhere?
That's a very cool little statistic.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #805 on: January 27, 2019, 01:00:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As much as Smart and Mook have played well as starters, it has weakened the bench majorly. And that tells me that the guys that should be starting are not getting it done (Brown and Hayward).

This team needs Brown and Hayward to start playing more consistently (Brown) and Hayward to start playing like a functional player so Mook and Smart can return to the bench and make it better.
Do I really have to roll out Brown's stats every day to show people how wrong they are about Brown's consistency and overall play since going to the bench. Here's the stats....since going to the bench, they are almost the exact same stats as he put up last year while doing it in less minutes a game as he played last year.

Then put him back in the starting line up. Something has to give with that second unit

You have been one of the biggest of Brown's detractors on this board.  If you think he is so bad, why do want him in the starting unit again?  Your 'since Brown and Hayward suck move them back in the starting lineup' logic makes no sense.

I said that in those 2 should be starters but their play has not warranted it. In order for the Cs to be the best version they can be Brown and Hayward need to pull their weight as starters. That improves the bench. But neither have done this.

But the bench is pitiful with those 2 coming off of it. Starting brown and blending him into the best part of the team might cover him where he does not have to be counted on so much. Smart has proven to be really good off the bench. Hayward is a lost cause at this point. You can't hide him anywhere.
You want to move Brown into the starting lineup because he has been playing poorly and needs to be covered up? Are you for real?

Since going to the bench this is Brown:

13.3ppg
4.3rpg
1.5apg
1.1spg
0.6bpg
48.5/38.5/70

In just 24.5 mpg while leading the team in scoring 4 times and scoring 20+ 8 times in the 24 games he has played in since going to the bench.

Last year Brown starting
14.5ppg
4.9rpg
1.6apg
1.0spg
0.6bpg
46.5/39.5/64.4

In 30.7mpg

So in 6 less minutes a game Brown has been putting up 1.2 points, 0.6 rebounds, 0.1 assists less but has 0.5 more steals and the same amount blocks with better overall shooting during this bench run as compared to his great breakout year last year.

Brown's game does not need to be hidden in with the starters

« Reply #806 on: January 27, 2019, 01:08:32 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Stevens has a play he has been using for Brown out of timeouts and game stoppage where they get him isolated right side of court with just him and his defender and Brown goes right to the baseline, curling to the basket for the jam or layin. Been working great. Need more stuff like that for Brown to use his ability to go quick past people he has on his hip and get to the basket.

And get him more looks in the paint for that fall away jumper. That's been deadly for Jaylen.

« Reply #807 on: January 27, 2019, 01:15:29 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Kyrie was good but he made some costly turnovers and that air ball was a killer.

No one getting the rebound after Green's 2 missed free throws also killed our chances.

I agree with the fan who posted that dumping Hayward would be addition by subtraction. And we need a center. Baynes is okay as a back-up.

Tatum, Morrris, Smart and Horford all played really well.

Not sure where to go from here. I thought this would be a quiet trade deadline but I am not so sure. After losses like tonight, I feel Ainge could do something that surprises alot of people.

This is a good team, but it may not be ready to contend for a championship.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:21:28 AM by gpap »

« Reply #808 on: January 27, 2019, 01:27:11 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I’ll also point this out:
Hayward -8
Brown -8
Rozier -4
Baynes -11

Looney +13
Iguodala +7
Livingston +2
McKinnie +11

Our starters can hold their own against GSW but our bench got killed tonight AT HOME!
- LilRip

« Reply #809 on: January 27, 2019, 01:27:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kyrie was good but he made some costly turnovers and that air ball was a killer.

No one getting the rebound after Green's 2 missed free throws also killed our chances.

I agree with the fan who posted that dumping Hayward would be addition by subtraction. And we need a center. Baynes is okay as a back-up.

Tatum, Morrris, Smart and Horford all played really well.

Not sure where to go from here. I thought this would be a quiet trade deadline but I am not so sure. After losses like tonight, I feel Ainge could do something that surprises alot of people.

This is a good team, but it may not be ready to contend for a championship.
Uhhh, what? Morris sucked majorly on offence, and hurt our chances massively with his ice cold ball-stopping ways
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)