Author Topic: Warriors (34-14) at Celtics (30-18) GAme #49 1/26/19  (Read 38866 times)

Re: Warriors (34-14) at Celtics (30-18) GAme #49 1/26/19
« Reply #780 on: January 26, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Irving
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Vucevic

Smart
Hayward
Morris
Theis
Baynes

Im good with that for now.

« Reply #781 on: January 26, 2019, 11:32:08 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Rozier and Hayward combined for 4 points. Pathetic.

35 mill this season for those 4 points

But wait! Hayward's coming off from a major surgery so he gets a pass!  ::)

I thought it was 2 major surgeries.

And it took paul george 6 years to get back to normal. So patience is key

Wrong. The season (after his injury): 27.2 points, 8.1 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 1.6 steals, 45.9% field goal, 45.5% three-point, 85% free throw, 26.19 player efficiency rating, and +7.7 plus-minus.

Paul George had a better year the year after his broken leg than the season before it.

« Reply #782 on: January 26, 2019, 11:34:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
As much as Smart and Mook have played well as starters, it has weakened the bench majorly. And that tells me that the guys that should be starting are not getting it done (Brown and Hayward).

This team needs Brown and Hayward to start playing more consistently (Brown) and Hayward to start playing like a functional player so Mook and Smart can return to the bench and make it better.
Do I really have to roll out Brown's stats every day to show people how wrong they are about Brown's consistency and overall play since going to the bench. Here's the stats....since going to the bench, they are almost the exact same stats as he put up last year while doing it in less minutes a game as he played last year.

Then put him back in the starting line up. Something has to give with that second unit

You have been one of the biggest of Brown's detractors on this board.  If you think he is so bad, why do want him in the starting unit again?  Your 'since Brown and Hayward suck move them back in the starting lineup' logic makes no sense.

« Reply #783 on: January 26, 2019, 11:34:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As much as Smart and Mook have played well as starters, it has weakened the bench majorly. And that tells me that the guys that should be starting are not getting it done (Brown and Hayward).

This team needs Brown and Hayward to start playing more consistently (Brown) and Hayward to start playing like a functional player so Mook and Smart can return to the bench and make it better.
Do I really have to roll out Brown's stats every day to show people how wrong they are about Brown's consistency and overall play since going to the bench. Here's the stats....since going to the bench, they are almost the exact same stats as he put up last year while doing it in less minutes a game as he played last year.
Odd take considering Brown played a pretty strong game on defence and had a really good patch on offence tonight
Yeah, makes no sense to me, gouki. Brown has been playing great ball and had a good game.

« Reply #784 on: January 26, 2019, 11:34:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Wrong. The season (after his injury): 27.2 points, 8.1 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 1.6 steals, 45.9% field goal, 45.5% three-point, 85% free throw, 26.19 player efficiency rating, and +7.7 plus-minus.

Paul George had a better year the year after his broken leg than the season before it.
That's not even close to true.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

The 8 game season after his injury he averaged 8 points, and then he had a whole offseason, and he was still only at 23PPG. Where did you get those numbers?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #785 on: January 26, 2019, 11:36:23 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Odd take considering Brown played a pretty strong game on defence and had a really good patch on offence tonight
Yeah, makes no sense to me, gouki. Brown has been playing great ball and had a good game.

I am completely on board with you guys as well.  Brown has been playing well off the bench.  Really he has been playing well starting or off the bench since late december.

« Reply #786 on: January 26, 2019, 11:36:24 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

Really ? 6 Years ?

I am not familiar with the details of Paul George's recovery - how was he 1 year and then 2 years after his injury ?

I am all for Hayward and I do give him a pass for a horrible injury. Seems he has regressed since a month ago, though and i'm not just referring to the Minnesota games. After Irving encouraged him to be more aggressive with scoring, he played better for awhile.

Just don't leave him in the 4th quarter of an important game right now. He is not ready and force feeding him minutes isn't going to help. Just needs time, practice time and game time where he is not hurting us during crucial minutes.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #787 on: January 26, 2019, 11:37:42 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Then put him back in the starting line up. Something has to give with that second unit

You have been one of the biggest of Brown's detractors on this board.  If you think he is so bad, why do want him in the starting unit again?  Your 'since Brown and Hayward suck move them back in the starting lineup' logic makes no sense.

I said that in those 2 should be starters but their play has not warranted it. In order for the Cs to be the best version they can be Brown and Hayward need to pull their weight as starters. That improves the bench. But neither have done this.

But the bench is pitiful with those 2 coming off of it. Starting brown and blending him into the best part of the team might cover him where he does not have to be counted on so much. Smart has proven to be really good off the bench. Hayward is a lost cause at this point. You can't hide him anywhere.

« Reply #788 on: January 26, 2019, 11:40:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Really ? 6 Years ?

I am not familiar with the details of Paul George's recovery - how was he 1 year and then 2 years after his injury ?

I am all for Hayward and I do give him a pass for a horrible injury. Seems he has regressed since a month ago, though and i'm not just referring to the Minnesota games. After Irving encouraged him to be more aggressive with scoring, he played better for awhile.

Just don't leave him in the 4th quarter of an important game right now. He is not ready and force feeding him minutes isn't going to help. Just needs time, practice time and game time where he is not hurting us during crucial minutes.
6 years is definitely an exaggeration, but it's taken him until now to develop into the player people thought he would become pre-injury.

His recovery is also hard to compare to Hayward's, because he came back to play 8 games during a season (whereby he was a virtual non-factor) and then he had another offseason and pre-season. I think next year is when Hayward will be 100%
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #789 on: January 26, 2019, 11:40:42 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
On the bright side, if the Celts beat the Nets and Hornets next week, it will be a successful January.

Nets game will be another frustrating slog. Cs just seem to play so casual against teams that aren't considered powers.

I'm hoping that will change because Celts still have a shot at the #2 seed.

Both Indy and Sixers lose tonight.

Celts losing tonight didn't really hurt them in the standings.

It did hurt - we have to gain ground when we have a chance and we blew an opportunity tonite. The teams in front of us have not gone on extended streaks of losing this season and making up losses has been slow.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #790 on: January 26, 2019, 11:41:47 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I agree, i mean if it is by how they've been playing recently Brown would be closing games over Hayward and Morris. But Stevens (and most coaches) tend to favor veterans and tend to change rotations slowly. The same tendency that led to brown retaining the starter role longer than he probably deserved to start the season is suppressing his minutes right now. He was 3-6 for ten points at half, then in the seocnd half  he took only two shots. A wild running floater he missed but has to take late shot clock, and a contested tip off an offenisve rebound. Thats it. Untill Hayward is back to Utah Hayward Brown is our best bench offense option, run some plays and PnR for him.

« Reply #791 on: January 26, 2019, 11:42:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
good basketball game

We we close and took their best game and hung right there .

Whoa? Is this... an optimistic post?  :P

Im a realist.   they played good enough to win played hard ,  GS was a few points better ....it was close  .   It was entertaining and a good basketball game . I hate losing , but the losses to really bad teams I find unacceptable.   Thats lack of effort , not professional.

« Reply #792 on: January 26, 2019, 11:43:53 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

That's not even close to true.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/georgpa01.html

The 8 game season after his injury he averaged 8 points, and then he had a whole offseason, and he was still only at 23PPG. Where did you get those numbers?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2015/12/02/numbers-paul-george-before-and-after-injury/76685516/

Granted this tailed off to the 23 ppg but it did not take him 6 years to get back up to speed. Obviously the timing was different than Hayward's but it was about the same amount of time and in his first full season back he was at 23 ppg.

I think we won't see Hayward impact much this season on offense. He looks really timid and just is not much of a factor. Hopefully next year he can contribute. But I am not buying he will be ready for the playoffs. The Hayward we see now is what we get for the season. Sucks but it is what it is

« Reply #793 on: January 26, 2019, 11:48:45 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Regarding Brown:  I actually think it's time to ramp up his usage off the bench.  Give him some of the playmaking duties that are currently going to Hayward.  Let's see what he does with them.  He's a lesser passer than Hayward, but I do think he's shown some progress in that department.  And he's much more of an scoring threat than either Hayward or Rozier this season.  His ability to force the issue in the paint is something we otherwise lack on our roster. 

I'm all but done with the Rozier-off-the-bench experiment.  I don't know why he sucks off the bench, but it's nonetheless the case.  He made one play all night.  And while I still believe in Hayward long-term, I don't think he's going to return to form this season.  So let's put the ball in the hands of the guy who is occasionally able to do something positive with it. 

« Reply #794 on: January 27, 2019, 12:00:47 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Regarding Brown:  I actually think it's time to ramp up his usage off the bench.  Give him some of the playmaking duties that are currently going to Hayward.  Let's see what he does with them.  He's a lesser passer than Hayward, but I do think he's shown some progress in that department.  And he's much more of an scoring threat than either Hayward or Rozier this season.  His ability to force the issue in the paint is something we otherwise lack on our roster. 

I'm all but done with the Rozier-off-the-bench experiment.  I don't know why he sucks off the bench, but it's nonetheless the case.  He made one play all night.  And while I still believe in Hayward long-term, I don't think he's going to return to form this season.  So let's put the ball in the hands of the guy who is occasionally able to do something positive with it.

Agree. If your offensive initiator can't get into the paint, can't beat anybody and is afraid to shoot at times your offense is gonna be bad. that's what we saw tonight. Brown can't give you worse than nothing in that department, let him run some stuff, make some mistakes, and see where it goes.