Author Topic: Woj: Jrue to Celtics  (Read 52547 times)

RodyTur10, Wretch, jambr380, RMO and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: Woj: Jrue to Celtics
« Reply #390 on: Yesterday at 09:55:41 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2956
Are we really doing this? Brogdon was not helpful pretty much most of the playoffs last year, largely because he was injured. And guess what, he was injured with a season-ending injury yet again this year. So not sure how helpful that would've been.

As for Smart, I'm not even sure how he is brought up here, as we traded Smart for KP months before getting Jrue, so it was never even a possibility.

But, no, we wouldn't be better with Smart either. While Jrue has been somewhat disappointing in the playoffs thus far, I don't think Smart would be very helpful with this group either.

« Reply #391 on: Yesterday at 10:34:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
As many on here know, I've been critical of the extension because of Jrue's age and downward trajectory, but you make that trade every single time without giving it a second thought.  The team is simply better with Jrue and KP than it is with Smart, Brogdon, and Rob. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #392 on: Today at 03:35:06 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Agree with both posts above. If you were expecting Holiday to take his game to another level in the playoffs I have to presume you’re having a Shaq moment: you were unfamiliar with his game.

Let’s presume that this season unfolds the same way, with us keeping Marcus and Rob but that they’re now both out - would you rather have Holiday? Of course you would.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #393 on: Today at 06:54:21 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 180
Straight up with no other moving pieces I would take a healthy smart over jrue. Sorry. Jrues been awful.

« Reply #394 on: Today at 07:30:20 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 417
I take Holiday over Smart & Brogdan any day..holiday role here is different is why his numbers aren’t eye popping
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #395 on: Today at 07:46:43 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
I think it is OK to concede that more than one thing is true at the same time.  It is true that Jrue has not played as well as I expected.  He is really not that much better than Smart or Brogdon were last season.  Now I understand, both have been injured this season, we are better for having Jrue, that is true, but it is also true that he has not been as good as I had hoped and probably not as good as the team thought, when you consider what they gave up.

And as others have said, the debate should be Holiday + Porzingis vs. Smart + Brogdon.  There is no question that these were good moves, that the team is better for it.  But I thought we would see more out of Holiday, even considering his adjusted team role.

« Reply #396 on: Today at 08:07:26 AM »

Online G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 99
Straight up with no other moving pieces I would take a healthy smart over jrue. Sorry. Jrues been awful.

You can’t be serious.  Smart thought he was a star and shot way too much.  Jrue has been a little disappointing, but not “awful”.

« Reply #397 on: Today at 08:11:20 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 180

You can’t be serious.  Smart thought he was a star and shot way too much.  Jrue has been a little disappointing, but not “awful”.

At least someone played like they thought they were a star. I am serious. I’m taking prime healthy Marcus over this version of jrue…to each their own.

« Reply #398 on: Today at 08:38:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that some fans can't appreciate the difference between great defense and flashy defense.

Jrue is like Iguodala.  His impact generally isn't in the stat sheet.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #399 on: Today at 09:08:01 AM »

Offline KeepBigAl

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Brad extending Jrue at 34M per baffled me.

He can still make good decisions (especially when compared to Smart last year) hit open shots and defend bigger players in the post.

He cannot stay in front of guards with any semblance of quickness, create his own shot well, and he's a less effective finisher now - these skills will likely continue to decline over the next 4 years.

There are some things Jrue does better, but in totality, PP is a better player RIGHT NOW.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:43:58 AM by KeepBigAl »

« Reply #400 on: Today at 10:34:59 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2956
I think that some fans can't appreciate the difference between great defense and flashy defense.

This is definitely true.

I think it’s also true that Jrue has had some very poor moments defensively. Some of that is how we’re using him in the “free safety” role, and so some gambles and getting burned are just part of the process. Then there’s other nights like last night where he was just bad. Seemed like he couldn’t keep anyone in front of him and had several miscommunications leading to points.

But overall his defense has been fine, and his offense is the worrisome part. He’s scoring a measly 8 points on 36% shooting and 32% from 3, including missing a ton at the basket. That’s unacceptable, especially with how well he shot the three during the year.

« Reply #401 on: Today at 10:55:52 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008

This is definitely true.

I think it’s also true that Jrue has had some very poor moments defensively. Some of that is how we’re using him in the “free safety” role, and so some gambles and getting burned are just part of the process. Then there’s other nights like last night where he was just bad. Seemed like he couldn’t keep anyone in front of him and had several miscommunications leading to points.

But overall his defense has been fine, and his offense is the worrisome part. He’s scoring a measly 8 points on 36% shooting and 32% from 3, including missing a ton at the basket. That’s unacceptable, especially with how well he shot the three during the year.

It's probably the shoulder injury that's still bothering him

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #402 on: Today at 11:06:08 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

This is definitely true.

His rhythm just seem all off last night. He didn't look comfortable. Not sure what it was. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #403 on: Today at 12:10:59 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2496
Jrue has a .415/.330 career playoff shooting splits. He's been a little worse than usual this postseason. But he's not a natural scorer to begin with, and he clearly tightens up under pressureand always has.

« Reply #404 on: Today at 12:18:04 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Btw, I didn't mean to indicate that I think Jrue sucks (I probably let my emotions get the best of me last night). I just think he's slightly overrated and slightly overpaid. And I think we overpaid to get him. He is still a very good player who can help us win a championship. And if that happens, then all that stuff won't matter at all.

I'll give Roy credit, though. He has loved Jrue ever since I can remember. And I definitely understand why when he is playing at his best.