Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 419848 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1545 on: April 30, 2019, 08:46:53 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I still keep wanting to see the half dead Caitlyn Stark to show up.  I found her to be one of the  better story lines in the books.

Not me, I hated her in the books, and she has almost no redeeming qualities.

I am glad they only have a few episodes left, it has been a great show but the great build of the Nightking and a lame death, tells me they have jumped the shark.

She wasn't super likable, but I was intrigued to see what her role would be I. Coming back from the ultimate obscurity.

I think her role was going to mainly be Frey exterminator and they gave that to Arya. Though the last thing in the books was her getting ahold of Jaime which could've been interesting but wouldn't have killed him.  It was cool in the books but would've just added another plot thread in a show that tried really hard to combine as many as possible.

« Reply #1546 on: April 30, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Do the dragons have a limited supply of fire in their lungs?

I’d have been way more proactive with spraying the flames down on the bad guys.
Or even spraying Viseryon. Like they bite him repeatedly instead of just using fire. Unless the dragon was immune to fire we never saw it.
was thinking the same thing during the dragon air battle and the ground battle --> you have 2 of the ultimate weapons that should decimate the opposition.
- why not have both dragons attacking the Night King in the aerial battle and at least trying to fry him on the back of  his dragon.  sure, it wouldn't have mattered to him as we  found out later but it might have taken out his dragon.
- if the idea was to have Dany light the trench with dragon fire (I mean really, how freaking stupid was it not to have someone just set a torch to it?), why not have either her or Jon light up the dead as they approached while keeping the other in reserve to watch out for the Night King?   to add to that, why not have several trenches that could be set ablaze as the dead approached -- better yet set them up so that it funnels the dead into a central killing zone for the dragons/archers/soldiers?  horrible battle tactics the entire show.

« Reply #1547 on: April 30, 2019, 08:54:51 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I still keep wanting to see the half dead Caitlyn Stark to show up.  I found her to be one of the  better story lines in the books.

Not me, I hated her in the books, and she has almost no redeeming qualities.

I am glad they only have a few episodes left, it has been a great show but the great build of the Nightking and a lame death, tells me they have jumped the shark.

She wasn't super likable, but I was intrigued to see what her role would be I. Coming back from the ultimate obscurity.
She was an awful person when she was alive as well.  She almost by herself led to the downfall of the Starks.

When I first began watching GoT I kind of liked Caitlyn Stark, but after re-watching the first season a few months ago I came away really disliking her.  While I can appreciate her motherly instincts kicking in to protect her children, she was completely reckless and as you said - almost led to the downfall of the Stark family all by herself.

When she kidnapped and prosecuted Tyrion with virtually no actual evidence, poor Ned had to tell people that she did it on his command.  Ned did what a leader and good spouse would do, but Caitlyn was neither of those in key moments.

As a result I'm really glad she never came back as lady stonehands.

« Reply #1548 on: April 30, 2019, 10:02:46 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
Do the dragons have a limited supply of fire in their lungs?

I’d have been way more proactive with spraying the flames down on the bad guys.
Or even spraying Viseryon. Like they bite him repeatedly instead of just using fire. Unless the dragon was immune to fire we never saw it.
was thinking the same thing during the dragon air battle and the ground battle --> you have 2 of the ultimate weapons that should decimate the opposition.
- why not have both dragons attacking the Night King in the aerial battle and at least trying to fry him on the back of  his dragon.  sure, it wouldn't have mattered to him as we  found out later but it might have taken out his dragon.
- if the idea was to have Dany light the trench with dragon fire (I mean really, how freaking stupid was it not to have someone just set a torch to it?), why not have either her or Jon light up the dead as they approached while keeping the other in reserve to watch out for the Night King?   to add to that, why not have several trenches that could be set ablaze as the dead approached -- better yet set them up so that it funnels the dead into a central killing zone for the dragons/archers/soldiers?  horrible battle tactics the entire show.

Then again they do have people engaged in a heated debate over the best way to utilize fire breathing dragons to stave off an attack from a bottomless pit of winter bringing dead guys.
Yup

« Reply #1549 on: April 30, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I knew I'd seen that Arya dagger hand switch move before but couldn't remember where. She did a slicker version of it in the opposite direction sparring with Brienne last season:

https://twitter.com/kathleennwalker/status/1122697201589813252

« Reply #1550 on: April 30, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Here’s my off the wall prediction for the ending:

While I LOVED the episode last night, something felt a little unsatisfying about it this AM that we literally have been worried about the White Walkers since season 1 and finally the living battle them and they die without us even knowing what their purpose was. Were they just pure evil? I don't think so...I think that's what the writers want us to think, but GRRM is very political and supposedly the Walkers are supposed to be a metaphor for climate change. Let's remember, this isn't some devil that was created at the beginning of time...the children of the forest literally created the Night King to help them against the humans. GoT is a series which literally ties so many loose ends up - certainly the important ones - and I just can't accept that the White Walkers are done and gone without us ever knowing why they were marching south for the first time in 1000 years.

I think over the next couple of episodes some weird stuff is going to start happening - and it will be clear that the Lord of Light is behind it. In a song of ice and fire, there is no longer ice. So fire will reign. Perhaps crops are going to die, perhaps stone men are going to start showing up in Westeros, or perhaps more undeads like Beric are going to be around but in a bad way. By the end of this series, Bran is going to go back and figure out why the Children created the Night King...and determine that for the balance of humanity they need to be created again. First thought is Bran becomes the NK, but I think he's too important to the living for memories so he'll stay the 3 eyed raven. One of Dany and Jon will become the new NK (or NQ), and due to the prior NK's trait of being impervious to fire, my current money is on Dany (believe Jon burned his hand in season 1 or 2).

This is probably crazy and out there but just seems like it could be the crazy twist we've all been waiting for. Finally, I have a theory on who will be a co-conspirator in this NK or NQ creation - Lord Varys. Mel predicted he'd died in Westeros AND he is the most unabashed hater of the Lord of Light due to what happened to him. I can see him be the one pushing the dragon glass into Dany or Jon to make the NQ or NK and then die immediately after. A final sacrifice by Varys to save humanity slash combat his true enemy - the Lord of Light.
Just a point to make about the bolded part: Jon snow is still ice as he's the son of Lyanna Stark, who was a northerner. George Martin also likes to play with words. That said, if you remove the letter "g" from the book titles it would read "A son of ice and fire". That would equal Jon Snow, though we all know his real name by now.

« Reply #1551 on: April 30, 2019, 12:38:35 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
During all the darkness of the episode I missed the ice spiders and Hodor. Did anyone see either?

« Reply #1552 on: April 30, 2019, 01:45:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
During all the darkness of the episode I missed the ice spiders and Hodor. Did anyone see either?

I didn't care about Hodor but man I was hoping for those ice spiders. Imagine them holding off the wights at the castle wall then a horde of dog-sized spiders just come skittering over the top. Giants hurling masses of spiders at formations. Probably really hard to do affordably and non-cheesily.

« Reply #1553 on: April 30, 2019, 02:08:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

While I LOVED the episode last night, something felt a little unsatisfying about it this AM that we literally have been worried about the White Walkers since season 1 and finally the living battle them and they die without us even knowing what their purpose was. Were they just pure evil? I don't think so...I think that's what the writers want us to think, but GRRM is very political and supposedly the Walkers are supposed to be a metaphor for climate change. Let's remember, this isn't some devil that was created at the beginning of time...the children of the forest literally created the Night King to help them against the humans. GoT is a series which literally ties so many loose ends up - certainly the important ones - and I just can't accept that the White Walkers are done and gone without us ever knowing why they were marching south for the first time in 1000 years.

I think over the next couple of episodes some weird stuff is going to start happening - and it will be clear that the Lord of Light is behind it. In a song of ice and fire, there is no longer ice. So fire will reign. Perhaps crops are going to die, perhaps stone men are going to start showing up in Westeros, or perhaps more undeads like Beric are going to be around but in a bad way. By the end of this series, Bran is going to go back and figure out why the Children created the Night King...and determine that for the balance of humanity they need to be created again. First thought is Bran becomes the NK, but I think he's too important to the living for memories so he'll stay the 3 eyed raven. One of Dany and Jon will become the new NK (or NQ), and due to the prior NK's trait of being impervious to fire, my current money is on Dany (believe Jon burned his hand in season 1 or 2).

This is probably crazy and out there but just seems like it could be the crazy twist we've all been waiting for. Finally, I have a theory on who will be a co-conspirator in this NK or NQ creation - Lord Varys. Mel predicted he'd died in Westeros AND he is the most unabashed hater of the Lord of Light due to what happened to him. I can see him be the one pushing the dragon glass into Dany or Jon to make the NQ or NK and then die immediately after. A final sacrifice by Varys to save humanity slash combat his true enemy - the Lord of Light.
Just a point to make about the bolded part: Jon snow is still ice as he's the son of Lyanna Stark, who was a northerner. George Martin also likes to play with words. That said, if you remove the letter "g" from the book titles it would read "A son of ice and fire". That would equal Jon Snow, though we all know his real name by now.
He clearly meant Ice as in the Night King and Fire as in the Red God.  The theory being with the Night King killed order and balance in the universe is off, which will cause all sorts of problems.  I don't buy that theory at all.  Just doesn't fit with the narrative of the books or the show at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1554 on: April 30, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He clearly meant Ice as in the Night King and Fire as in the Red God.  The theory being with the Night King killed order and balance in the universe is off, which will cause all sorts of problems.  I don't buy that theory at all.  Just doesn't fit with the narrative of the books or the show at all.
Martin loves double meanings. I think the title of the book series probably has that double meaning. Ice and Fire could be the Night King and R'hllor but it could also be the story of a person with Stark and Targareon blood. Or it could be both. If I were you guys I wouldn't argue that it is clearly one or the other because it's probably is both.

« Reply #1555 on: April 30, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Are we rooting for the NK now... Because its seems those dissapointed by his death at the hands of Arya seems to feel so.

The show already explained it in ep 2 what the NK is and what he wants.. What more do we want.

Dissapointed that there is no one on one with Jon well blame the NK.. He didn't want one and was more concerned about getting to Bran... So yeah he freaking deserve that dagger at the hands of an assassin....the show hinted it several times in the past.. The fan boys just weren't paying attention.. Yes it came as a surprise and I betcha those who bet on Arya killing the NK have fat wallets now.

Now let's get on with the living and there are certainly more deaths and betrayals perhaps to come.

« Reply #1556 on: April 30, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I love Arya killing the NK.

It was perfect. It was hinted way back in season 3...I had completely forgotten about it, up until the little meeting between the Red lady, hound and Arya happened. Then I knew at one point, Arya would kill the NK.

It was a fitting end, the entity that spread so much fear and death while staying at the back of the fray operating out the shadows, was taken out by Arya who operated in the shadows herself.

« Reply #1557 on: April 30, 2019, 03:31:21 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

never made that connection before, brilliant theory.

Jon is a man of the north, and was resurrected by the god of light.

And we know who his mother and father are, so the whole son of fire and ice has a double meaning in reference to him.

« Reply #1558 on: April 30, 2019, 03:40:17 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

Martin loves double meanings. I think the title of the book series probably has that double meaning. Ice and Fire could be the Night King and R'hllor but it could also be the story of a person with Stark and Targareon blood. Or it could be both. If I were you guys I wouldn't argue that it is clearly one or the other because it's probably is both.

Thanks, Nick.  That's exactly what I meant. Greenshooter, Yes I know Jon Snow is still ice (and so is Sansa, Bran, and Arya)...if I literally was suggesting there were no Starks left, it would show I missed a lot last episode...

The Starks tagline is literally "Winter is Coming"...does anyone think Winter will still be around without the Night King?  He literally "brought the storm".  Let's see what the climate is like the next few episodes before scoffing at my idea...

Another thought, which someone else had which I cant steal as my own, but is derived from my general idea, is that Jon makes Dany into the Night Queen and that is also his Azor Ahai/Nissa Nissa moment.  I like that derivation a bit better than my own.  I like this even more because:

Dany's life would literally be A Song of Ice and Fire
We all know Jon's life is a Song of Ice and Fire
And the Night King/Rhollor Song of Ice and Fire idea...

« Reply #1559 on: April 30, 2019, 04:46:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Are we rooting for the NK now... Because its seems those dissapointed by his death at the hands of Arya seems to feel so.

I was rooting for the Night King and I think it's cool that Arya got him - I felt like it was set up really well with her character but poorly within the episode, but in hindsight they laid the groundwork for it well there too, they just deliberately left the approach to the Night King absent and focused on Jon's futile attempt to reach him for maximum drama.

never made that connection before, brilliant theory.

Jon is a man of the north, and was resurrected by the god of light.

And we know who his mother and father are, so the whole son of fire and ice has a double meaning in reference to him.

The books make this clearer with Rhaegar having a vision/obsession that he'll have a son and (paraphrasing) "his shall be the Song of Ice and Fire", which is what motivates him to run off with Lyanna.

To me it meant both the ice+fire of the Night King vs Fire God and the Stark + Targaryen blood. Basically the mixing of ice and fire within will let him deal with the clash of ice and fire without. I thin there may be a "fire" crisis yet too - probably involving that full Targaryen lady with dragons, a deep sense of entitlement and a major brutal streak.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:52:02 PM by fairweatherfan »