Author Topic: Robert Covington  (Read 5184 times)

Re: Robert Covington
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 10:28:51 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Celts can get more for Smart than just Covington.

Help me understand how you value them. Use whatever method you think is helpful. Is Covington 80% of Smart in your mind? Is Covington a nickel and Smart is a dime?

I think they are pretty even value. Covington is on par with Smart defensively. Their disruptive stats and versatility are similar. So is their advanced stats.

Covington is a better shooter than Smart and takes better shots within the offense than Smart. Smart is a ball shot-creator and passer than Covington.

In my mind, they even out. I think Covington would be a better fit.
I actually think Covington has more value than Smart because of Smart's atrocious shooting.  There really is no way to get around the fact that Smart is perhaps the worst shooter in league history, especially when accounting for volume. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 11:06:39 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Celts can get more for Smart than just Covington.

Help me understand how you value them. Use whatever method you think is helpful. Is Covington 80% of Smart in your mind? Is Covington a nickel and Smart is a dime?

I think they are pretty even value. Covington is on par with Smart defensively. Their disruptive stats and versatility are similar. So is their advanced stats.

Covington is a better shooter than Smart and takes better shots within the offense than Smart. Smart is a ball shot-creator and passer than Covington.

In my mind, they even out. I think Covington would be a better fit.
I actually think Covington has more value than Smart because of Smart's atrocious shooting.  There really is no way to get around the fact that Smart is perhaps the worst shooter in league history, especially when accounting for volume.
^this. Covington is slightly more valuable than Smart due to top notch wing defence (extra size gives him more versatility) and better shooting. Both are at that fringe All-Star level though, they're very good players to have.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 11:52:48 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Covington is also very durable, too. Other than his surgery last season which limited him, I don't think he has much of an injury history.

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 12:42:15 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Wouldn't be Smart to trade Marcus.

Dude wasn't the reason we lost tonight.

GH - Love ya, Brother - but dude couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Not sure why he's getting a pass.............

We were missing Jaylen also.

Smart made several key plays as well....we trade him and this team will get worse defensively.

Smart exemplifies Celtic Pride.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 07:52:26 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I say Timberwolves will trade with Warriors..T-Wolves wants Russell badly so they can keep Towns happy
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 08:28:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Smart is a better defensive player than Covington. Smart's physical toughness and one-on-one defense gives him the edge over Covington's finesse D. Covington is a lightweight defender who gets pushed around by physical forwards and on switches against bigger players.

Offensively it is a trade off. Covington's superior shooting (consistent 36-37% three point shooter on high volume 6 attempts per game) vs Smart's superior ball-handling, passing & secondary playmaking. Covington the better off ball offensive threat. Smart the better on ball and more well rounded offensive threat. Which player is better depends what your team needs I reckon.

Overall, I'd much rather have Smart because of his considerably superior defensive talent & offensive versatility.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 09:08:39 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Smart is a better defensive player than Covington. Smart's physical toughness and one-on-one defense gives him the edge over Covington's finesse D. Covington is a lightweight defender who gets pushed around by physical forwards and on switches against bigger players.

Offensively it is a trade off. Covington's superior shooting (consistent 36-37% three point shooter on high volume 6 attempts per game) vs Smart's superior ball-handling, passing & secondary playmaking. Covington the better off ball offensive threat. Smart the better on ball and more well rounded offensive threat. Which player is better depends what your team needs I reckon.

Overall, I'd much rather have Smart because of his considerably superior defensive talent & offensive versatility.
Covington has been a 1st team all league defender and has finished as high as 8th in DPOY voting.  I think you are underestimating his defensive ability a great deal.  He is very disruptive on that end.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 09:56:45 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Covington has been a 1st team all league defender and has finished as high as 8th in DPOY voting.  I think you are underestimating his defensive ability a great deal.  He is very disruptive on that end.
and Smart hasn't gotten recognition for his D in that regard for his career so i wouldn't go by that when comparing their defensive abilities.

Smart's been the superior defender between the 2 of them.  it's really not that close.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

and Smart hasn't gotten recognition for his D in that regard for his career so i wouldn't go by that when comparing their defensive abilities.

Smart's been the superior defender between the 2 of them.  it's really not that close.
Of course it is close.  They defend different positions and differently, but this idea that Smart is a vastly superior defender to Covington is a strange one.  They are both uber elite defenders. 

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Covington has gotten more credit for his defense than he deserves. He is a disruptive team defender with his length but he is an average man defender. He just isn't able to play against physically powerful forwards. He plays like a guard. Finesse. He struggles against top offensive forwards because of this and he struggles on switches on opposing bigs because of this.

Covington is not an elite defender. He is an above average defender. Because of these limitations.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2020, 11:31:28 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Forgot trading Smart, the C's could "easily" acquire Covington without including him.  Having both Smart and Covington (with all other core pieces) sounds like a pretty nice defensive squad to me.

Now it all depends on what Minny is looking for, but this could be a time to consolidate some chips (which the C's will need to do before next year anyway, not enough room for the 3 main rookies from this year + 3 rookies next year + Waters).  Trades for Covington like the following work in the trade machine:

Poirer+Langford+Edwards/Ojeleye
Poirer+G. Williams+Ojeleye

Plus maybe throw in 1-2 picks from this years draft (are we really expecting much out of the Bucks and Celtics picks?).

I'm sure someone will argue not to trade the young guys, haven't even seen what Romeo can do, definitely don't include picks, yada, yada, yada, but you have to give to get.

Romeo might never see the light of day playing behind Smart, Brown, Hayward, Covington, Tatum at the wings.
Williams/Ojeleye would lose time to Covington.
And the C's might have to waste a pick on another Yabu-like-stash because they won't have room on the roster next year.

With Covington you also get a guy with a medium sized contract for the next 2 years, making other trades much more feasible.

Also a chance to promote Waters to the main roster.

3-for-1 for a player on Covington's level is always tough, but could also make it a three-way to spread it out a little.  Just spitballing something that works (not thinking about why the other teams would actually do it, just how it's possible):

Covington to Boston, Bjelica and Edwards to Minny, Langford and Poirier to Sacramento.

Of course, this all assumes at least one of Langford, G. Williams, Edwards having some value across the league.

Just spitballing, not really analyzing too much.  But it seems possible to me to keep the core and add Covington by trading some rookies and picks (if Minny values that).

Or maybe Boston helps facilitate a D'Angelo Russell trade  ;D, with Boston sending picks to GS instead of Minny.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Wolves are big game hunting. They aren't looking for a package of prospects or picks with Covington. He's already as good of a role player fit as you could ask for next to Towns. If they move him they want a more frontline player.