Author Topic: xbox 360 questions  (Read 13156 times)

Re: xbox 360 questions
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 10:34:50 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Dark Lord, your getting ready for "The Force Unleashed", aren't you. ;)

If you have an HD tv

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!  when i heard i was getting it free, the first thing that popped in my head was, "i can get the force unleashed on sept. 16th!"  <sad, i know, lol>

unfortunately, the dark_lord lives in low-def, lol.

HBO HD ran all 6 films in HD a few months back, they looked incredible.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 10:46:28 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
return of the jedi was in HD on spiketv last night - looked good!
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 10:58:37 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
i have a quick question for those with an xbox 360.  im getting one from a family member who was getting rid of it bc he got a ps3.  i need to get a harddrive for it.  which one is best and what are the differences between the few i have seen?

also, how much does xbox live cost a month/year.

thanks!

If you're buying a hard drive for it, go ahead and get the 120GB.  Yeah, it's about 4179, but the 20GB is about $89.  So the former is a better deal.  Besides, if you ever want to download high def videos/movies from the Marketplace, you'll need all that extra space. 

The silver membership is free.  With that, you can shop the Marketplace. 

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 03:32:09 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
Question : My husband still has the "I guess.. original " XBOX. However he can't get current games because they only make them for the newer systems. I would like to buy him a new system. Mainly he plays Football and boxing games, some bball of course as well. Which system do you all recommend? And if you know more or less how much it costs please share that as well. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions.
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Question : My husband still has the "I guess.. original " XBOX. However he can't get current games because they only make them for the newer systems. I would like to buy him a new system. Mainly he plays Football and boxing games, some bball of course as well. Which system do you all recommend? And if you know more or less how much it costs please share that as well. Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions.

As somebody who owns both, I'd say the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are really about equal.  I prefer the PS3, but that's because I was used to the PS2 beforehand.  Xbox has more exclusive games, but the sports ones you're looking for work equally well on both systems.  If he's used to the Xbox, then it probably makes more sense to get a 360, only due to familiarity with the controller.  (Plus, the 360 will play *most* of his old games.)

A PS3 with a 40GB harddrive retails for $400, I think.  An Xbox without a harddrive costs $280, and an Xbox with a 20GB harddrive retails for around $350 (although you can probably find one cheaper).

From my experience, the Xbox has a lot of "hidden" costs that the PS3 didn't.  The Xbox doesn't have wireless capabilities built in; if you use wireless internet, the Xbox adapter will cost roughly $80 more.  Plus, the xbox controller uses batteries; you need to buy a rechargeable battery back; the PS3 has a detachable wire to charge the controllers from the console.  Also, if your husband watches Blu-Ray movies, maybe it's better to get a PS3, since it has a built in blu-ray player, whereas the Xbox doesn't play movies.

Confused yet?  Really, you can't go wrong with either system.  I think the $400 PS3 is a better value than the $350 Xbox, but they're both really good systems (and as I said, your husband would probably prefer the Xbox, unless he's a huge movie / blu-ray buff.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !

Thanks for all the info!

I'll probably go with the 360 then.

"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 03:57:57 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Congrats on scoring a free 360 Dark.

Xbox Live is a definite must, and if your into FPS so is Call Of Duty 4.

It's the first fps that I ever really liked.

I also play it all the time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 09:06:30 PM by ManUp »

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »

Offline Green Jello

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Didn't read the whole thread but...

Xbox live is $50 a year, but can be had for less on Amazon or Buy.com, probably $45.  Also, some subsrciptions come with a bonus month, so keep an eye out for those.

Call of Duty 4 is my favorite game for xbox live.  They also have a lot of fun arcade type games for casual fun.  Also, the Guitar Hero games are fun.

The Hard Drive prices might drop soon, as there is a price drop for xbox's in general that is happening next week.  The pro is going down from $350 to $300.  I have a 20gb and its fine for me.

Finally, your cousin might have a xbox live id with a gold live memebership still attached to it, if so, ask him if you can use it.  Otherwise it'll just run out.

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 04:36:48 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I have the elite (gamertag is cdif1025) and if you're looking for some fun multiplayer online games, I think Halo 3 can't be beat. I have been playing GTAIV, but haven't put it online yet - also lots of Guitar Hero and Rock band, good times - I like the NBA2K series better than live, if you're interested in a hoops game - if you like racing games, I think Project Gotham Racing 3 is one of the best out there... My neighbor just let me borrow Orange Box (to play Portal) so I'm excited about that - but yeah Darklord welcome to the Xbox community!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 05:20:42 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I have both and enjoy the Xbox 360. The problem is, they don't hold up well. The average life of an XBOX 360 is 2 years before you see the dreaded ring of death. For that reason if I had to choose just one, I'd choose a PS3. If you decide to go PS3, this is the best deal going.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644489281

Sign up for this credit card, then purchase a PS3 with it on the Sony Style website. It automatically will knock a $100 off your PS3.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
my 360 actually just broke though. the dvd drive ceases to work but no red light has come on. ...microsoft support says it'll take 99 dollars to fix it because its out of warranty... anyone here got any better solutions?

I had a similar problem, where my system broke down (graphics card was shot) but I had no RROD and so was facing a $99 charge.  You have a couple of options to get around this.  The key is that they replace the unit, so everything gets "fixed" free if you have the RROD.  The first option is to deliberately overheat your XBox to the point that it RRODs before sending it in.  I wouldn't recommend this, but there are quite a few how-tos on the Web and on YouTube.

The second approach, which is the one I took, is to call customer support - tell them you are getting the RROD, but not every time you boot up, say you get it maybe 1 out of 3 times.  Also say that when it does successfully boot, you still can't play cause the drive is also busted.  My guess is they'll look at the unit a couple of times, fail to get it to produce the RROD (which you told them will happen a lot), but the drive part checks out, so they'll just give you a new one regardless.  I tried this and it worked; I didn't have to pay a dime.  Your results may vary, though.

As for games, I am loving Ninja Gaiden 2 right now - I also recommend Bioshock (only single player, though), Dead Rising, and the Guitar Hero/Rock Band genre.

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 06:04:18 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Is COD 4 that good?  I mean yeah dumb question its the top game played online for the 360 I think but a few of my friends said it wasn't that good.  I'm still playing Halo 3 but its getting really boring and I need something new to play.  Thanks for the help. 

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2008, 09:08:00 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Is COD 4 that good?  I mean yeah dumb question its the top game played online for the 360 I think but a few of my friends said it wasn't that good.  I'm still playing Halo 3 but its getting really boring and I need something new to play.  Thanks for the help. 

Simply put yes.

I've never been more addicted to a game in my life.

The first fps that i've ever truly liked, but don't buy it if your not going to play it on Xbox Live.