Author Topic: Do people seriously believe this team can go to the finals?  (Read 5673 times)

Re: Do people seriously believe this team can go to the finals?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 09:46:47 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
YES

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
There's a far better chance they go out in Round 1.

Sadly.

I am already thinking about a column presumably written this summer entitled "Where Did It Go Wrong For the Boston Celtics In 2018-19?" with multiple factors as the answer.

This season is eerily reminiscent of the 2011 Red Sox season. All that's missing is a chicken and beer controversy.

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 09:55:36 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Are they talented enough? Yes
Do I expect them to? No

I truly wonder how much this team actually cares about this season anymore.

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 09:56:40 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Yes I do, just need coaching changes.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 09:59:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Sadly.

I am already thinking about a column presumably written this summer entitled "Where Did It Go Wrong For the Boston Celtics In 2018-19?" with multiple factors as the answer.

This season is eerily reminiscent of the 2011 Red Sox season. All that's missing is a chicken and beer controversy.

For over a month now I've been looking forward, eagerly, to that exact article.

I hope it's written by somebody like Jackie Mac , Chad Finn, or Zach Lowe, and I hope it has tons of inside info about what went wrong behind the scenes this year. I hope it's excoriating and embarrassing to the franchise.

I hope everybody who was involved with this mess is forced to answer for their role in it.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 10:01:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Sadly.

For over a month now I've been looking forward, eagerly, to that exact article.

I hope it's written by somebody like Jackie Mac , Chad Finn, or Zach Lowe, and I hope it has tons of inside info about what went wrong behind the scenes this year. I hope it's excoriating and embarrassing to the franchise.

I hope everybody who was involved with this mess is forced to answer for their role in it.

Yeah, I could see either Jackie Mac or Steve Bulpett as the author.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 10:28:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Bulpett is a good call.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 10:33:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the talent is there but I don't think the desire or effort is there.  I suspect they're out in the second round barring a miraculous change in their level of play

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 10:40:22 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
No, and right now it seems like they want to be done ASAP.

well part of the team seems disconnected at this point.  Seems like mainly players who expect to get traded or not resigned.  Unfortunately for them teams remember how you finish out a season.

Feels like that "part" is at least half the team.

Well my guess of players gone after this year:
Tatum, Rozier, Morris, Williams, Yabu

might not be 1/2 but getting there.  I am worried that it is going to be another 75% roster purge in part to get AD.  I am not sure it is worth it.

Man, alls I know is this team suuuuuure could use a guy like AD out there.

As for the OP - I think they can. But it remains to be seen if this group has a stretch of consistently high-level play in them. Other problem is our frontline is real thin after Horford and Baynes, and both have been in and out... and there are quality bigs in each round.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1373
I think they can. But they have to want to and be willing to sacrifice to do so. Losses like tonight's make you wonder if they really want to. Giving up a 30-5 run after being up 18 and in total control of the game with 8 min to go suggests that they didn't care enough to put the effort in defensively after Charlotte made their push. This has nothing to do with talent it's to do with effort, in fact I don't think talent means anything without effort and desire.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 11:08:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Top end talent wins when it matters.  Boston doesn't have any true top end talent.

That said, Atlanta beat Philadelphia and Dallas beat Golden State.  Sometimes worse teams beat better ones.  It just happens.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 11:10:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Top end talent wins when it matters.  Boston doesn't have any true top end talent.

That said, Atlanta beat Philadelphia and Dallas beat Golden State.  Sometimes worse teams beat better ones.  It just happens.

I知 pretty sure kyrie is gonna make all second team. What is too end?

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 11:15:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I知 pretty sure kyrie is gonna make all second team. What is too end?

Everybody knows that only teams with guys who will make the all NBA 1st team are able to consistently hold 10 point leads and win playoff series against quality opponents.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 11:35:44 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

I'm not sure it's that. If the other guys are doing their job, even with Hayward sub- par, Kyrie should be the difference in a lot of these games. Their biggest problem is they have a couple of players dragging the rest down (Morris & Rozier) and one other (Tatum) who hasn't been nearly as good as everyone thought he was going to be. 

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 11:47:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think they can. But they have to want to and be willing to sacrifice to do so. Losses like tonight's make you wonder if they really want to. Giving up a 30-5 run after being up 18 and in total control of the game with 8 min to go suggests that they didn't care enough to put the effort in defensively after Charlotte made their push. This has nothing to do with talent it's to do with effort, in fact I don't think talent means anything without effort and desire.
This is it to me too. If this team wants it, they can beat anyone. When they decide to bring it, and I say when, not if, because I think they will come together in the playoffs, I think they will become the team no one wants to face. I do truly expect a 4 or 5 win first round that will have show a lot of dominant Celtic basketball where suddenly a lot of people are going to not want to play them.

And if it doesn't happen there is always the hopes of adding AD, getting to keep one of the Jays, keeping one first rounder and hitting on it and looking forward to title #18.

Oh, and I might cheer on the Bruins to the Stanley Cup.