Poll

Ultimately would you trade 2018 8th pick for 2 seasons of Irving?

Yes
44 (74.6%)
No
10 (16.9%)
Only if Irving signs an extension
5 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Ultimately would you trade 2018 8th pick for 2 seasons of Irving? (poll)  (Read 6163 times)

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
only if he signs an extension
Look at the history of the 8th pick.  It’s awful.  I’ll take a chance to compete for the title next year over that pick all day.

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
$35 Million reasons why he's not going anywhere in free agency. Nevermind the fact that the Celtics offer the best chance at winning outside of GS.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
The number 8 pick?  Are you kidding me?  Have people looked at the history of that pick?

I would take Kyrie over any 3 of those picks.

2017 Frank Ntilikina, France – New York Knicks
2016 Marquese Chriss, Washington – Sacramento Kings
2015 Stanley Johnson, Arizona – Detroit Pistons
2014 Nik Stauskas, Michigan – Sacramento Kings
2013 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Georgia – Detroit Pistons
2012 Terrence Ross, Washington – Toronto Raptors
2011 Brandon Knight, Kentucky – Detroit Pistons
2010 Al-Farouq Aminu, Wake Forest – L.A. Clippers
2009 Jordan Hill, Arizona – New York Knicks
2008 Joe Alexander, West Virginia – Milwaukee Bucks
2007 Brandan Wright, North Carolina – Charlotte Bobcats
2006 Rudy Gay, Connecticut – Houston Rockets
2005 Channing Frye, Arizona – New York Knicks
2004 Rafael Araujo, BYU – Toronto Raptors
2003 T.J. Ford, Texas – Milwaukee Bucks
2002 Chris Wilcox, Maryland – L.A. Clippers
2001 DeSagana Diop, Oak Hill Academy (Va.) – Cleveland Cavaliers
2000 Jamal Crawford, Michigan – Cleveland Cavaliers

That definitely is a pu pu platter...give me Kyrie any day!

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No

We keep IT and 8th pick plus we still have Hayward. Thomas eventually gets healthy and is solid for the playoffs. Now we still have a great team without cutting IT's throat and team chemistry is even better.  Going forward, we have a much more settled roster and a better chance to trade up for Mamba.

What we don't have is a flake for a starting point guard, who is self-centered and doesn't care who knows it.  I say with a healthy Thomas + Hayward + Talented Post Defender we are better and are a contender for titles for the next decade. With Irving, we now have a bunch of uncertainty. I say Thomas would re-sign for a reasonable contract in the end because he absolutely loves being a Celtic.
Lol. IT is trash now, and will most likely never even be an All-Star level player again. Why would you want him? Worse at both ends than Kyrie, older and on the decline.

You’re letting your anti-Kyrie grudge get in the way of an incredibly easy decision

It's pretty crummy for a Celtics fan to speak of IT that way.  Though, ironically, that attitude is consistent with that of the guy you're blindly protecting.

tenn_smoothie, I agree with your assessment of Kyrie, and it's nice to see more begin to question his actions and comments.  Celtics fans have been very late to join the table to that discussion, unfortunately, and I'm not sure why.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:02:55 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
If the trade was 2 seasons (one playoffs) of Kyrie for the 8th pick?  And he leaves for another team with no additional compensation?

No way. Why would anybody make that trade?

Because we can win a championship this year, and if Kyrie walks we have cap space to sign someone else.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No

We keep IT and 8th pick plus we still have Hayward. Thomas eventually gets healthy and is solid for the playoffs. Now we still have a great team without cutting IT's throat and team chemistry is even better.  Going forward, we have a much more settled roster and a better chance to trade up for Mamba.

What we don't have is a flake for a starting point guard, who is self-centered and doesn't care who knows it.  I say with a healthy Thomas + Hayward + Talented Post Defender we are better and are a contender for titles for the next decade. With Irving, we now have a bunch of uncertainty. I say Thomas would re-sign for a reasonable contract in the end because he absolutely loves being a Celtic.
Lol. IT is trash now, and will most likely never even be an All-Star level player again. Why would you want him? Worse at both ends than Kyrie, older and on the decline.

You’re letting your anti-Kyrie grudge get in the way of an incredibly easy decision

It's pretty crummy for a Celtics fan to speak of IT that way.  Though, ironically, that attitude is consistent with that of the guy you're blindly protecting.

tenn_smoothie, I agree with your assessment of Kyrie, and it's nice to see more begin to question his actions and comments.  Celtics fans have been very late to join the table to that discussion, unfortunately, and I'm not sure why.
Crummy =/= untrue. To say he was average in ‘17-‘18 would be flattery.

Continue believing Kyrie is some manipulative jerk. I hope he’s here for a decade. Not only because he’s a top 3-5 PG in the NBA at age 25, but also because it’s quite funny seeing you act as if you have insights into his personality and thought-process nobody else on here is privy to
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
No

tarheels, we do think alike. Most times I have criticized Irving's attitude, I get hammered from all sides. Other than you and an odd post here and there, I haven't seen much agreement from the board - just a bunch of Kyrie Irving apologists who walk on eggshells around the guy's name - catering to his fragile ego also seems to include our Head Coach and GM.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:34:58 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the trade was 2 seasons (one playoffs) of Kyrie for the 8th pick?  And he leaves for another team with no additional compensation?

Because we can win a championship this year, and if Kyrie walks we have cap space to sign someone else.

Nope, no cap space.

Under the scenario laid out, we get a one year rental of Kyrie for a lottery pick, then he walks. That’s silly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is better than anyone we would get at 8!

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Very strong draft class this year, but still. You have to figure that we'll re-sign Kyrie even if he doesn't take an extension (why would he?), and even 2 seasons of Kyrie could easily be worth more wins added than an 8th pick's entire career.

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
When in Cleveland and under the control of Lebron it would be easy to have him state he would love to play with a skilled big like Pozingis in NYC.That can't be held against him or the draw of Madison Sq Garden and NY as home territory.
Danny has to know what Kyrie is up to and it was and is evident how much he wants to play with Hayward.This was Brad and Danny's team and still is.but if Kyrie is plotting. Then his betrayal would be Mafia like.This whole situation just drives a wedge between fans fueled by media for upcoming season.
.I love watching Kyrie play basketball but if he is not 100% in, after Lebron goes where he does and continues to play it one day at a time while sitting on the fence at the expense of the Celtics.This situation is for Danny to sort out.

Just watched an episode number two of Porzingis rehab and he is going to come back strong not just bulky but strong. Trainers three times a day in the gym,dieticans and chefs pumping in 4500 calories a day..
Impressive attitude,no damage to tissues or cartilage the Surgeon said it was of all the  possible outcomes the best to be 100% again and Porzingis was setting a record for recovery.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:25:33 AM by rollie mass »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
He is better than anyone we would get at 8!

He is. But if you knew for a fact Kyrie was leaving after this season, would you prefer him or around seven years of the #8 pick?

That’s different than “one more year of Kyrie, and we’ll see what happens with him in free agency”.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Two playoff runs with an elite player for a pick that in general results in a middle to low end starter?  So as an alternative hypothetical, let's say we offered Kyrie with only one year left back to Cleveland in exchange for the #8 pick.  Cleveland does that in a second.  If we added that he would pick up his option and be under control for 2 seasons, Cleveland would probably wet their pants.

It is too bad how all this worked out for Isaiah Thomas but I have no second thoughts on bringing in Kyrie or for losing out on the #8 pick (most expected this to be an even better pick, except maybe Ainge).  It was a cold-hearted decision to trade IT but in retrospect it was the right decision.

Kyrie may move on but who knows.  Kyrie's knee may explode  The #8 pick may end up being the sleeper of the draft and a future all star.  There may be all sorts of reasons to second guess this at some point in the future but right now this still looks like a steal for Boston.

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
IF Kyrie were to leave then the Celts dodge the max and its not like we haven't seen free agents and stars being traded.Boston is now a on the map destination.
Isaiah and" back the brinks truck up" with his liability on defense and injury was going to be a real mess Crowder did not mesh with Hayward another mess.
Mike Gorman was right if Kyrie gets traded it going to be for a haul in return.And if Danny misjudges and we challenge for title and he still leaves.Then its Kyrie going home, to where he chooses to play.
This will linger till it doesn't at that point Kyrie will give a concise answer -if he gets the chance.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Two playoff runs with an elite player for a pick that in general results in a middle to low end starter?  So as an alternative hypothetical, let's say we offered Kyrie with only one year left back to Cleveland in exchange for the #8 pick.  Cleveland does that in a second.  If we added that he would pick up his option and be under control for 2 seasons, Cleveland would probably wet their pants.

It is too bad how all this worked out for Isaiah Thomas but I have no second thoughts on bringing in Kyrie or for losing out on the #8 pick (most expected this to be an even better pick, except maybe Ainge).  It was a cold-hearted decision to trade IT but in retrospect it was the right decision.

Kyrie may move on but who knows.  Kyrie's knee may explode  The #8 pick may end up being the sleeper of the draft and a future all star.  There may be all sorts of reasons to second guess this at some point in the future but right now this still looks like a steal for Boston.

One playoff run. The hypothetical isn’t two additional seasons, it’s last year and this coming season.

I’m not judging the trade. It has worked out, and I feel that Kyrie will resign. If somebody told me, though, that we’d definitely lose Kyrie after two seasons (and at best one playoff run), I’d turn it down.