Author Topic: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League  (Read 38745 times)

Re: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
That's all she wrote for Chelsea's Champions League run. ios this truly the end of an era? Antonio Conte's got a full on rebuild on his hands.

I think Chelsea still have the 2nd or 3rd best (Arsenal?) squad in England behind Man City and probably still a top 10 team in Europe as well.  Form guide shows Chelsea are actually 2nd in the league since Hiddink took over and the team is still underachieving in their football under Hiddink. Clearly, this is still a really talented team. So I don't think there is any need for a major rebuild.

2 or 3 signings would make the world of difference to this team. Give it some fresh energy and a bit of talent upgrade. Beyond that, Chelsea's main problem is coaching. Fix the coaching and they'll have done 75% of the job right there. I don't know if Conte is the answer or not. I have some concerns about him -- (a) never coached outside of Italy (b) the 3 CB system he used a lot in Italy hasn't worked well in England (c) renowned for his preparation before each opponent - won't have the time for the same prep work in England due to schedule (d) I thought his Juve teams underachieved in Champs League and in Europa League (e) Italian National team work hasn't shown much good football albeit in difficult circumstances .... but still, he did do a great job domestically with Juve and got the team to actually play together which is something Chelsea have struggled with lately. Especially with attacking as a team. They defend well as a team. But attacking is too segmented. Defenders too limited. Holding midfielders too restricted. Too much reliance on individualism and a lack of team work.

Conte uses the 3-5-2 system but also likes the 4-3-3 and 4-2-4 systems. I think he also would like the 4-2-3-1 system. Mainly he just wants his players to track back. He used the 4-3-3 for part of his first year with Juve. He used 4-2-4 before he was at Juve with smaller clubs. I don't think he would be set on using the 3-5-2 because he has used other systems before, he is just really stubborn and uncompromising. He is a perfectionist so if one thing is off he won't change systems. And I strongly disagree with people that say Conte was unsuccessful in Europe with Juve. His first year in Europe Juve made the quarterfinals of the Champions League and were knocked out by Bayern, the eventual winners. His second year we embarrassed ourselves and were knocked out in the group stages in a group that was not even very difficult. As a result of coming in third, Juve were in the Europa League and lost in the semi finals. I was disappointed with Juve's performance in Europe that second year but to say Conte was disappointing in Europe is unfair. He was good one year and bad one year. Chelsea made a good decision hiring him. He will immediately be easily one of the best managers in the Premier League. Ranieri is winning that league. He is a nice guy but hardly a world class manager. It's good to see him experience so much success tho. Very likable. The top 10 clubs in Europe are as follows imo:
1 Barcelona
2 Bayern Munich
3 Real Madrid
4 PSG
5 Juventus
6 Atletico Madrid
7 Manchester City
8 Borussia Dortmund
9 Arsenal
10 Napoli
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:06:39 PM by Forza Juventus »
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2016, 05:18:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Love what I saw from Arsenal in an attacking sense. Just could not finish. Unfortunately, Barcelona is just too skilled, too cohesive and too talented. The Suarez goal is just superb.

On the other side, WOW! Never thought I'd see this but Juventus, kicking the butt of Bayern Munich. They're looking really, really good.

Oh. Bayern got 1 in, need one more to force extra time.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2016, 05:21:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Incredible performance from Juve. Missing several key players -- Dybala, Marischio, Chiellini -- to play this well without those key guys and to knock out a team as good as Bayern .... this would be an incredible achievement.

« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Incredible performance from Juve. Missing several key players -- Dybala, Marischio, Chiellini -- to play this well without those key guys and to knock out a team as good as Bayern .... this would be an incredible achievement.

Looks like they haven't lost a beat despite losing Pirlo, Tevez and Vidal. What an exciting squad to watch. 

Paul Pogba, Jesus he's sooooo good.

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2016, 05:36:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Oh holy cow. Thomas Mueller, game saving goal coming from a PERFECT cross from Coman.

Penalty shootout? Yes please!

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2016, 06:04:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Lovely goal by Thiago. Quick thinking and calm touches. Best CM in World Football.

Oh my, a 2nd quick goal. Coman! Great strike with his left foot.

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2016, 06:05:43 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Ah, there goes...

What a great run and touch by Thiago.

Oh, that was a quick one-two. Lovely curl by Coman to beat Gigi Buffoon.

Lovely goal by Thiago. Quick thinking and calm touches. Best CM in World Football.

Better than Pogba?

« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2016, 06:05:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What a collapse by Juve

Can't say I feel bad about seeing them choke

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2016, 06:07:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Ah, there goes...

What a great run and touch by Thiago.

Better than Pogba?

I think so. My favourite creative playmaking CM. Incredible vision, dribbling and technical ability.

Pogba will overtake Thiago in time but I am not giving it to him yet ...

« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2016, 06:17:13 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So, from today, it's looking like Barcelona vs Bayern Munich in the Final.

Granted, Arsenal isn't a challenge, but the showed that talent level today. Bayern Munich did not just survive, but made a good statement that they aren't easily going to get beat.

I wonder how PSG would fare well with these two? I'm not so sure Real Madrid belong in the conversation at this point, I'd be surprised if they get past Barca or Bayern. But PSG, playing very well of late, I wonder if they have enough to give those two a run for their Euros?

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2016, 06:52:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I love the way PSG play. They have been my favourite team to watch this season.

Their passing is amazing. I love the way their defenders are so comfortable on the ball. Maxwell is tremendous at LB. I miss David Luiz. Chelsea shouldn't have sold him. Veratti is a class act. Everyone is comfortable on the ball. So many players capable of making defense splitting passes. Then Ibrahimovic dropping deep .... PSG can create overloads in every area of the pitch.

Great individualism in Ibra, Di Maria and Lucas too. Great trickery. Capable of fooling any defender. Super pace out wide. Then Cavani. Matuidi (one of best box-to-box mids in world). So much talent.

PSG have learned so much from the mistakes made by (financial) predecessors like Chelsea and Man City. They have done a much better job of building a true team. Togetherness with attractive play.

I think PSG are well capable of knocking off Barcelona or Bayern.

« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Their passing is amazing. I love the way their defenders are so comfortable on the ball. Maxwell is tremendous at LB. I miss David Luiz. Chelsea shouldn't have sold him. Veratti is a class act. Everyone is comfortable on the ball. So many players capable of making defense splitting passes. Then Ibrahimovic dropping deep .... PSG can create overloads in every area of the pitch.

Great individualism in Ibra, Di Maria and Lucas too. Great trickery. Capable of fooling any defender. Super pace out wide. Then Cavani. Matuidi (one of best box-to-box mids in world). So much talent.

PSG have learned so much from the mistakes made by (financial) predecessors like Chelsea and Man City. They have done a much better job of building a true team. Togetherness with attractive play.

I'm pretty chuffed that we have qualified for the CL Semis for the first time ever.  PSG a terrific squad, but I think they lost because they were not (surprisingly to me) able to dominate the midfield.  City were able to win back the ball after surrendering possession, and not fielding Yaya was key in that regard. 

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2016, 05:21:33 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I'm pretty chuffed that we have qualified for the CL Semis for the first time ever.  PSG a terrific squad, but I think they lost because they were not (surprisingly to me) able to dominate the midfield.  City were able to win back the ball after surrendering possession, and not fielding Yaya was key in that regard.

Injuries and suspensions hurt PSG. They lost their first choice midfield. Veratti due to injury. Matuidi due to suspension. Motta had to go off injured in first half. PSG didn't have the depth to cope with those losses. They have one of the best midfields in Europe when those guys are together but their replacements were short of the quality PSG needed to boss the game.

I thought PSG should have changed their tactics and been more direct without that midfield quality but they tried to play the same way. I thought that played into Man City's hands because PSG no longer had the quality to patiently and methodically pick their way through Man City's defense. Made it comfortable for Man City to play on the counter attack.

Anyway, I am disappointed PSG are out. I love their team.

Happy to see an English team in the semi-finals though.

« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Injuries and suspensions hurt PSG. They lost their first choice midfield. Veratti due to injury. Matuidi due to suspension. Motta had to go off injured in first half. PSG didn't have the depth to cope with those losses. They have one of the best midfields in Europe when those guys are together but their replacements were short of the quality PSG needed to boss the game.

I thought PSG should have changed their tactics and been more direct without that midfield quality but they tried to play the same way. I thought that played into Man City's hands because PSG no longer had the quality to patiently and methodically pick their way through Man City's defense. Made it comfortable for Man City to play on the counter attack.

Anyway, I am disappointed PSG are out. I love their team.

Happy to see an English team in the semi-finals though.

Losing Verratti and Matuidi, and then Motta, was devastating to PSG, no doubt, but injuries are part of the equation of any match.  Man City has been devastated by injuries this season, so I'm well aware of their importance, but at the end of the day, either you cope or you don't. PSG, great squad though they are, weren't able to in this tie, just as City have laid an egg in the EPL this season. 

Still very worried that Pool will win the EL, although they still have to best BVB and then, potentially, Sevilla, who won't wish to surrender their double crown easily.  City needs to secure third spot in the league, which means defeating Arsenal in our upcoming fixture. 

Will Blanc be sacked at season's end?  Given their domestic dominance, plus another CL quarter-final run, I think he deserves another year, even though I cannot stand the guy...

« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Atlético!