Author Topic: Is it going to be Marco Belinelli?  (Read 6734 times)

Is it going to be Marco Belinelli?
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:02:20 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Belinelli and a 2nd round pick for Smart, Belinelli averages 11.4 points and he’s shooting 41.1 percent from the field and 37.2 percent from 3.

Re: Is it going to be Marco Belinelli?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:08:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Belinelli and a 2nd round pick for Smart, Belinelli averages 11.4 points and he’s shooting 41.1 percent from the field and 37.2 percent from 3.

what?

worst idea ever

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Awful return.  Belinelli would be a nice piece but he doesn't come close to Smart when it comes to overall impact on winning games.  No doubt he is an intelligent and skilled offensive player but the lack of athleticism would negate this against elite teams. 

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:20:30 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

what?

worst idea ever

If you are just going to dump Smart it could be could be good to pick up an offensive guard who conducts himself as a pro and could bring some shooting to the second unit. The Atlanta 2nd round pick would be a very high second round pick.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:25:43 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Is this your trade idea or an actual rumor you've heard from some reliable source?

I absolutely hate it if true.  Not that Belinelli is worthless to this team -- the added shooting punch would be great.  But Marcus' value (IMO) far exceeds Marco's.   The loss of Smart's defensive presence and versatility (and play-making capability) at the end of games is hard to replace. Marco is also expiring.     

Tyreke, on the other hand, would be good value for Smart -- he can guard multiple positions and can pass the ball in addition to his scoring skill. 

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:34:46 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Is this your trade idea or an actual rumor you've heard from some reliable source?

I absolutely hate it if true.  Not that Belinelli is worthless to this team -- the added shooting punch would be great.  But Marcus' value (IMO) far exceeds Marco's.   The loss of Smart's defensive presence and versatility (and play-making capability) at the end of games is hard to replace. Marco is also expiring.     

Tyreke, on the other hand, would be good value for Smart -- he can guard multiple positions and can pass the ball in addition to his scoring skill.

Just an idea. If Evans deal doesn't happen, the Celtics need some shooting off the bench. Evans is also expiring and it's much more likely we could resign Belinelli to a small contract next offseason than being able to resign Evans. The high Alanta 2nd round pick ( either the 1st or 2nd pick in the 1st round)  would also have value to pick up some cheap young talent at the end of the year.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:59:04 AM by liam »

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:05:12 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

what?

worst idea ever

If you are just going to dump Smart it could be could be good to pick up an offensive guard who conducts himself as a pro and could bring some shooting to the second unit. The Atlanta 2nd round pick would be a very high second round pick.
Right, but that now a BIG 'if'.  Due to Smart's poor judgement, DA could re-sign him for less.  If it were me, I would keep him if you can re-sign in $10-12M range.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

what?

worst idea ever

Right, but that now a BIG 'if'.  Due to Smart's poor judgement, DA could re-sign him for less.  If it were me, I would keep him if you can re-sign in $10-12M range.

It is a big if. danny may just be using trade rumors to fire up Marcus Smart but if Danny thinks he's gone at the end of the year for nothing then a deal is possible...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:24:35 PM by liam »

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't think Danny would go from asking for a 1st and a rotation guy for Smart to settling for a 2nd and Marco.

With that said, Marco is available and we could use his scoring. I'd do Marco and a protected 2nd for Yabu and Nader.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I don't think Danny would go from asking for a 1st and a rotation guy for Smart to settling for a 2nd and Marco.

With that said, Marco is available and we could use his scoring. I'd do Marco and a protected 2nd for Yabu and Nader.

I think you are right, unless he just wants him gone. Injuring your self in your hotel room is a bit of a red flag that your level of comment is somewhat askew.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 12:48:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I guess this proves your point: "According to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald, the Celtics don't seem willing to trade Smart for anything less than a player who can contribute this season and beyond" 

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
we couldve just resigned gerald green. whats the real difference?

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 02:48:26 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
we couldve just resigned gerald green. whats the real difference?

Huge. Green is better and younger.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 03:45:49 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
troy daniels is another player i would be interested in, but yes please trade out marcus smart and his 47% ts and 94 offense rating per 100 poss, yes please get rid of him

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 06:42:50 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I think you are right, unless he just wants him gone. Injuring your self in your hotel room is a bit of a red flag that your level of comment is somewhat askew.

What's askew is probably not level of commitment but, as Danny has said, his ability to control his emotions.  I think Danny, CBS, teammates know Marcus pretty well at this point and have determined that his rare emotional outbursts to either be an acceptable part of the package with hope it will continue to improve over time, or they consider him a loose cannon who is not worth the risk that he comes with.  I think the recent incident may have moved the needle a little, but my guess is we'd be hearing Smart trade rumors whether or not he cut his hand.  Another guess is that Danny and CBS like Marcus, think he's worth sticking with, and won't trade him unless the return is solid.