Author Topic: kung fu flicks  (Read 12762 times)

kung fu flicks
« on: July 14, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
anyone else a fan?  i love the old vintage movies, such as the shaw brothers. my fav actor/martial artist being gordon lui.

Re: kung fu flicks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 06:02:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I just watched Ip Man, pretty good movie about the guy that popularized Bruce Lee's martial art, Wing Chun. There are some real kickass scenes.

There's a sequel coming up.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:12:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
I just watched Ip Man, pretty good movie about the guy that popularized Bruce Lee's martial art, Wing Chun. There are some real kickass scenes.

There's a sequel coming up.

good stuff, i will check it out.  my buddy studies jeet kune do, which bruce lee created

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
anyone else a fan?  i love the old vintage movies, such as the shaw brothers. my fav actor/martial artist being gordon lui.

Not so familiar with the vintage movies, but two of my favorites are "Fist of Legend" (the Jet Li  version) and Kung Fu hustle.  Both really fun, good plots, and even better fight scenes.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

Not so familiar with the vintage movies, but two of my favorites are "Fist of Legend" (the Jet Li  version) and Kung Fu hustle.  Both really fun, good plots, and even better fight scenes.

jet li is great.  i liked alot of his older kung fu movies, as opposed to the newer action movies.  however, in the forbidden kingdom, with jackie chan, he was awesome....but i think thats bc it was a new school vibe to an old school movie theme

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The other martial arts movie that I watched recently was Ong Bak, although it came out in 2003, the plot I didn't care for much, but there were some real good fight scenes. Tony Jaa does some cool stunts, and Muy Thai is something that you usually don't see often I martial art movies (at least from the ones I've seen).

I've yet to see Ong Bak 2, and even though it seems to have the same actors, it doesn't seem like a sequel... more like a prequel of sorts with the actors portraying different characters.

I also like watching the Stephen Chow movies, like Shaolin of Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. By the looks of it he's developing Kung Fu Hustle 2 and for a while it seemed like he would be playing Kato in the upcoming Green Hornet movie, but not it looks like he's out of the part.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:30:09 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
The other martial arts movie that I watched recently was Ong Bak, although it came out in 2003, the plot I didn't care for much, but there were some real good fight scenes. Tony Jaa does some cool stunts, and Muy Thai is something that you usually don't see often I martial art movies (at least from the ones I've seen).

I've yet to see Ong Bak 2, and even though it seems to have the same actors, it doesn't seem like a sequel... more like a prequel of sorts with the actors portraying different characters.

I also like watching the Stephen Chow movies, like Shaolin of Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. By the looks of it he's developing Kung Fu Hustle 2 and for a while it seemed like he would be playing Kato in the upcoming Green Hornet movie, but not it looks like he's out of the part.

havent seen those, but im intrigued and will check them out.  green hornet/kato movie just feels weird to me bc it isnt bruce lee.

like i said earlier, im a huge gordon lui fan.  fav movies being 36 chambers/master killer, and shaolin & wu tang

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 05:31:34 AM »

Offline amelia.john011

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
The fights are incredible and the itself movie is not bad (well, I like Asian cinema). It is refreshing to see a martial arts film is real and raw materials. No cables or computer effects in this movie together! It really blew my mind!

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Kung Fu Hustle was pretty dope. One of my favorites is The Laughing Hyena (Jackie Chan). Also, even though the plot was terrible, all the choreography in The Protector (Tony Ja) was unbelievable!

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 08:56:04 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

IMHO twas FEARLESS HYENA
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...

IMHO twas FEARLESS HYENA
Ha! You're totally right!

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 09:18:38 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
Legend of Red Dragon (Jet Li)
Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
House of Flying Daggers
Ninja Scroll (anime)
The Chinese Connection (Bruce Lee)
Enter the Dragon (Bruce Lee)
Legend of Drunken Master (Chan)
Fist of the White Lotus (Gordon Liu)
Shaolin v Ninja (Gordon Liu)
Kung Fu Hustle was really funny and the fight scenes were 1000x times better than I thought they would be. House of 1000 kicks ftw. That dude was beastin...

Some other movies that fans of these might like:
Vampire Hunter D (best anime ever imo, second only to ninja scroll, maybe.)
Krull
Steel Dawn
Bwahaha
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I love Bruce Lee and his movies because of his realism. However the Ip Man movie was one of my favorite movies of all time.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:03 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Try downloading via torrents the following action flicks - Reign of the Assassins, and Detective Dee. New Kung fu movies but very very very intense action scenes.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 11:50:58 PM »

Offline Yvette

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 115
Loved all Moon Lee films...