Author Topic: Luke Skywalker's Light Saber: A good investment?  (Read 8136 times)

Re: Luke Skywalker's Light Saber: A good investment?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 11:32:48 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
If I had the money, I'd be all over it. Now, if someone is willing to sell Capt. Picard's phaser...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Uh oh. Shields up! Red Alert! I'm going to get flamed.. I better go before dark_lord comes..

If you HAVE to get Trek memorabilia, wouldn't you want Kirk's phaser? That's like saying you want Mace Windu's lightsaber.

But I do want Mace Windu's lightsaber. In fact I have a Windu Mighty Mugg staring at me as I type. Forget green, blue, and red sabers. I want a purple one.

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 12:13:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
you and kobe.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 01:46:03 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
recently sold at an auction for 240,000 dollars.

Why do people pay so much money for such things? Why is this so special? This isn't Luke Skywalker's lightsaber, its Mark Hamil's.

Hemingway's pen, thats work hundreds of thousands of dollars. Kerouac's typewriter. HS Thompson's hat. Roosevelt's executive chair. Kennedy's desk. I mean those things are worth it. They were used by great men, and the feeling that some tiny little inkling of their spirit being imbided in an object, thats worth something. But Mark Hamil's movie prop?

Hemingway's pen?  Kerouac's typewriter?  Tompson's hat?!?!  You named 3 of my top 10 writers of all time... and I wouldn't pay very much for any of those things.  It's ridiculous.  If I ever have that much money that I am willing to spend it on things like that, I hope I have the responsibility to spend it on things more helpful to the world.

Read Phillip K. Dick's "The Man in the High Castle" for his take on the validity of historicity.  One great scene has a man present two identical historic objects, and the person he presents them to has no idea which is "true".  There is no difference. Not until he produces a little piece of paper that says on ie real, then they suddenly 'get it' and 'knew it all along'.

Stuff like this drains my faith in humanity and raises my interest in nuclear war.

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 09:34:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If I was insanely rich, I'd be spending my money on all kinds of stupid stuff.  It would probably be sports related (a Babe Ruth jersey, etc.), but I can see why people like to collect unique things.  It's like having a mini-museum in your house.

Is it really so different than millionaires who collect classic cars that just sit in a garage, for instance?  It's all pretty pointless, but depending on what somebody likes, hey, go for it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 11:38:55 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
paying that kind of money on a whiney, farmboy, wanna be jedi, lighsaber....never.  no for a demonic evil sith lord filled with hate, anger, and the desire for more power....sign me up! ;D

grover, i cant flame you for your ignorance.  u just havent seen the light yet :P  just kidding.  i have tried time and time again to get into trek, but i cant get into it.  im too much of a star wars geek to allow myself to be that much of a nerd (note the oxymoron and sarcasm ;))

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 11:57:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If I was insanely rich, I'd be spending my money on all kinds of stupid stuff.  It would probably be sports related (a Babe Ruth jersey, etc.), but I can see why people like to collect unique things.  It's like having a mini-museum in your house.

Is it really so different than millionaires who collect classic cars that just sit in a garage, for instance?  It's all pretty pointless, but depending on what somebody likes, hey, go for it.

I guess I just don't get it. memorabilia..its always had a kinda voodoo allure for me. Like I have an autographed picture of Art Donovan, full gear. Im not old enough to ever see him play, but when I was younger I came across the "thunder and lightening" vhs made by sports illustrated as one of their promo things. It was all about defense. I was in third grade at the time, a soccer player. After watching that video of those men smashing themselves, especially defensive  linemen and art donovan gave a bunch of interviews for it..well I had the photo in a year and I've never played football since...and that photo hung in my room and now resides in my man cave (basement for those of you confirmed bachelors). Reminds me of the kinda guy I want to be.

I understand that...or a babe ruth ball, but a Mark Hamill's lightsaber? Just doesn't compute to me I guess.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 12:30:44 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

I understand that...or a babe ruth ball, but a Mark Hamill's lightsaber? Just doesn't compute to me I guess.
'

by your own logic, you should be able to understand it.  for some people, sports memorabillia is unfathomable.  if you understand the logic between a sports item, why cant you understand the logic behind a non-sports item.  its the same investment, love for history, and passion....just in different realms.

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 01:39:07 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
paying that kind of money on a whiney, farmboy, wanna be jedi, lighsaber....never.  no for a demonic evil sith lord filled with hate, anger, and the desire for more power....sign me up! ;D

"Whiney" c'mon man, all he wants to do is go to Tashi station to pick up some power converters...