Author Topic: SI: Celtics could trade Brown+Hayward for Westbrook  (Read 13815 times)

Re: SI: Celtics could trade Brown+Hayward for Westbrook
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2019, 02:56:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not sure what being a "star" has to do with basketball. Paul George and Westbrook were both "stars" and they won two playoff games total over two years.

The idea that the C's desperately need the media to believe they are contenders isn't logical. The C's and the media thought they were contenders last year and that didn't help anyone.

I have yet to see a convincing argument that the Celtics would be a better team by pairing Kemba and Westbrook. Personally I think it'd be a disaster.

I can't agree with this enough.  TP.

On paper Westbrook at Paul George at least fit a lot better than Kemba + Westbrook.  The fit is terrible with those two.  Westbrook seems a bad fit with Brad and his system as well.  If we learned anything from last season it is how important fit and culture are to success, at least here in Boston.

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2019, 02:58:44 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm not a big fan of Westbrook, but people have to realize that this is a star league, and right now the Celtics have one star.
And Westbrook is a star. Riley and Ainge know that two stars are needed for a championship nowadays. Riley would give his eye teeth to get another star to pair with Butler. Westbrook paired with Walker would make the Celctics stronger, and Danny isn't getting any younger. It's been 10 years since his championship.

The Celtics get Westbrook, and all of a sudden the focus in the media is on them as a contender. Right now, they aren't among the contenders. Not bad, not great. A star is a star is a star. It sucks, but that's the NBA today, and that's the media.

We just went through a season where it was demonstrated very powerfully that simply having a "star" isn't the answer.  That you have to have compatible players that complement each other.

The proposed trade is pretty much idiotic.   It obliterates our wing depth -- in an era when wing players are the dominant factors in most title contenders -- and adds a "star" reduntantly at a position where we already have a "star".

It also doesn't do anything to address salary, since Westbrook's contract is huge and long, with a $47M obligation in 2022!!!!
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
This is what happens when you have to crank out so many articles so quickly. He got assigned a Westbrook trade article and had to fill it out with some nonsense after the first two obvious possibilities.

I mean, I’d like to hope that the case.  But Westbrook is clearly on the block, Jaylen is up for a new deal next year, and I’d be absolutely shocked if Ainge hasn’t at least checked in on Westbrook’s availability.  I know for a darn-near certainty that Ainge explored a Westbrook-Isaiah trade a few summers ago, before Russ ultimately signed his pre-supermax extension.  And we know that Ainge will always prioritize talent, and much tho I love Jaylen, Russ is clearly the superior talent.

But Hayward-Brown doesn’t go far enough.  Try:

Hayward, Brown, Smart, Rob Williams, and Carsen Edwards for Russ and Adams.  That deal has Ainge and Presti written all over it, and then I become a thunder fan.
This is so weirdly pessimistic.

Anyways if Danny's problem is paying Jaylen a max contract, he isn't trading for the far larger max contract of a over thirty player on the decline whom plays the same position as his max FA acquisition.

We’d both like to think so, but... I’m just certain that despite everything you just said, Ainge has called about Russ.  And that deal starts at Hayward for salary and Brown or Tatum for the long-term.

I believe you are overthinking this. Does Ainge love westbrook. We know he did. But hes never, in his career, done something as unbelievably stupid and indefensible as this trade would be. There just no reason given Westbrook's age, positional overlap, declining skills, general attitude and huge contract that he would do this trade. I'm sure he made a call, I'm also sure it was a very short call.

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2019, 06:35:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'd rather go after Blake Griffin than Westbrook.

Another fan recently mentioned Griffin on this site and I think he made a great point. He'd be the missing piece at PF.

« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Another fan recently mentioned Griffin on this site and I think he made a great point. He'd be the missing piece at PF.

From a roster standpoint it would make perfect sense to trade for Griffin. Problem is that we have to trade Hayward and why would the Pistions have interest in him now? Secondly I feel that we should give Hayward another chance even though Griffin is clearly the better player.

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2019, 07:41:57 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

From a roster standpoint it would make perfect sense to trade for Griffin. Problem is that we have to trade Hayward and why would the Pistions have interest in him now? Secondly I feel that we should give Hayward another chance even though Griffin is clearly the better player.

I agree about giving Hayward a 2nd chance.

Also, Hayward and Stevens have unfinished business, they want to win a championship together.
That's what they failed to do in the NCAA.
So I doubt that Hayward will be traded as long as Brad Stevens is coach.

« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Westbrook would be terrible for this team. Or any other team for that matter. He’s got Melo written all over him
- LilRip

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2019, 08:18:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Danny LOVEs guards and he doesn't want to pay brown. He may want to dump Haywards contract too.

I thought about this since it looks like Westrooke is leaving OKc 

I would be shocked if Danny doesn't do a deal

I figured he would trade for Kyrie .

I won't be shocked at all . 

Losing Kyrie doesn't phase DA ....

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2019, 08:21:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Westbrook would be terrible for this team. Or any other team for that matter. He’s got Melo written all over him
Billups just said that Melo was giddy when he scored 36 and they lost and miserable if he scored 22 and they won.  I know Westbrook wants to win but it’s super important for him to make numerical achievements.

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2019, 08:26:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I agree about giving Hayward a 2nd chance.

Also, Hayward and Stevens have unfinished business, they want to win a championship together.
That's what they failed to do in the NCAA.
So I doubt that Hayward will be traded as long as Brad Stevens is coach.

iM not in favor of the trade ...but i won't go i to denial about what could happen in a heartbeat.   

Danny is Brads BOSS.   This is not the Lakers .   There is a hierarchy .

Brad doesn't have the nads to face his own players down,  you really think he ll confront a character like Danny Ainge .   Come on ....nothing comes between Danny and his Celtics .  If Danny wants to trade Hayward ...he won't blink and won't ask Brad .....it will just happen .

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Losing Kyrie doesn't phase DA ....

Some day I hope he realizes that bigs still matter and are needed to win..... You would think he would know that playing with McHale, Chief, and Bird but NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »

Offline JAH1892

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Switch Smart for Brown and I’m in on this 8)

quote author=CelticsElite link=topic=100961.msg2707705#msg2707705 date=1562833539]
Trade machine: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yx9sq5kh

https://www.inquisitr.com/5522418/nba-rumors-celtics-could-offer-jaylen-brown-gordon-hayward-for-russell-westbrook-per-sports-illustrated/

In the proposed trade deal by Sports Illustrated, the Celtics will be sending Gordon Hayward and Jaylen Brown to the Thunder in exchange for Russell Westbrook. The deal works on ESPN‘s NBA Trade Machine. If the trade becomes a reality, it will help the Celtics and the Thunder in filling up the needs to improve on their roster.

Russell Westbrook may be playing the same position as Kemba Walker, but if they manage to build good chemistry in Boston, the Celtics could have one of the most explosive backcourt duos in the league. Westbrook will give the Celtics an MVP-caliber point guard and triple-double machine. Last season, Westbrook averaged 22.9 points, 11.1 rebounds, 10.7 assists, and 1.9 steals on 42.8 percent shooting from the field and 29.0 percent shooting from beyond the arc. (lol)
[/quote]

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
well, this thread did not last long did it?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2019, 08:57:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
well, this thread did not last long did it?  ;D

Westbrook is an electric player, but with the acquisition of Kemba, it made absolutely no sense. I guess that didn't stop Houston, though! Glad to put this stressor to bed.

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
So the autopsy is in.

Westbrook fetches 2 1sts and 2 swap options, BUT

They have to take on a contract that is also one of the league's most toxic, because Chris Paul, while an all-time great, is 34, and breaks down almost every year.

Gordon Hayward's contract is a problem, but he is expected to be a quality starter again and his deal is for considerably less money and is only 2 more years. It isn't great, but it is a ways from being a net negative. There are varying opinions here on Jaylen, but it is undeniable that he is quite valuable around the league.

I think it is safe to say that Westbrook wasn't worth much. It was a victory for Presti to manage something positive here.

It will be interesting to watch OKC unload Chris Paul and see just how negative that deal is.