Author Topic: Tatum - The Good and Bad Against Washington  (Read 3293 times)

Tatum - The Good and Bad Against Washington
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:19:56 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
With no Kyrie, Horford, Brown, or Smart (or Hayward), last night Jayson Tatum was thrown into the deep end. How'd he do?

He was aggressive. He took a team high 23 shots, which I liked. He made only 9 of those shots and was 0-2 from 3, which is not good. More crucially, for this game, he went 1-3 from the FT line. Tatum is an 82% FT shooter on the season and if he had gone 2-3 from the line last night, the C's would've won the game. We've seen Tatum make clutch plays in the past so I'm not worried about the sky falling. Heck, the second FT he missed came after a clutch drive to the basket and finish through Gortat's foul. So there's only so hard I can complain.

6 assists and 2 turnovers. Only Rozier finished with more assists last night. Tatum had not done much playmaking for others this season, which I've attributed to his place in the offense and finding his way as a rookie. This game was heartening from that respect as he took on the challenge and was able to find teammates last night.

I wasn't blown away by the performance but I think he did a lot of good things and I'm encouraged. I'd be more encouraged if he had hit his FT's but we can't have everything.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Tatum - The Good and Bad Against Washington
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'm not worried long term, but one benefit top picks usually have when they go to bad teams is that they've already been in the position Tatum was in several times by this point in the season. In some ways, this was another opening night for Tatum. And he still managed to impress while showing much room for improvement.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:47:55 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It seemed like every time I looked at the game he was getting stuffed. Also, just 19 pts on 23 shots is abysmal. Not one of his greatest nights, but that's what a rookie looks like without training wheels.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 11:50:01 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It seemed like every time I looked at the game he was getting stuffed. Also, just 19 pts on 23 shots is abysmal. Not one of his greatest nights, but that's what a rookie looks like without training wheels.

This is true. On a lot of his drives he looks like he just isn't strong enough yet. In 2 years when he's filled out, I expect him to be a monster going to the rim.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 11:50:22 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Made some really bad decisions late in the game and in OT....missed 2 big free throws...made a nice play to tie it late

He is a rook...growing pains

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The 2nd half of the season for him has been dissapointing.

He is awful protecting the ball on the way to the basket and has made tons of mental mistakes.

That said, he's clearly very talented and I think he's going to be a force to be reckoned with next year when he tightens up the looser bits of his game.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 12:03:11 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
With his keen dribbling skills and the Celtics players' high basketball IQ it's probably just a matter of time when his passing skills will improve too. In the 2nd half it appeared a second player always came to assist on defending him whenever he went to drive the lane. Once Brad and the team develop schemes to beat this defense he should be finding more players open for easy baskets. (at least that how it works in my mind. ; )

I wonder if Brad ever thought of using the old 2-3 screens in-the-lane play that Doc used to free up Ray Allen would work for Jayson? Ray used to have to fight hard on those plays.     

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 12:46:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Tatum is already a problem out there, which is great. It's just that he alternates which team he's a problem for.

Bottom line, can't deny the talent, and I'm not too worried about the mental mistakes becoming habitual.  If we have to lean on him too much this year we're in trouble, but I'm very optimistic about next.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 12:50:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

This is true. On a lot of his drives he looks like he just isn't strong enough yet. In 2 years when he's filled out, I expect him to be a monster going to the rim.

This is what I feel too.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 02:44:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Last night we got a glimpse of what Tatum would have been like playing top scoring option for a bad lottery team for his whole rookie season.

High volume, low efficiency, tantalizing potential.

Tatum is such an elusive, graceful, composed offensive player.  He'll need to get to the line more often once he takes on a larger offensive role.  But that will be easier once he builds up his strength to match his frame.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It’s clear he has the tools and bbiq. Get more athleticism and strength and we might have pierce/Carmelo hybrid

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Last night we got a glimpse of what Tatum would have been like playing top scoring option for a bad lottery team for his whole rookie season.

High volume, low efficiency, tantalizing potential.

Tatum is such an elusive, graceful, composed offensive player.  He'll need to get to the line more often once he takes on a larger offensive role.  But that will be easier once he builds up his strength to match his frame.

TP.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I was disappointed with how many times he got swatted, but at least he didn't waiver or lose confidence and kept going. There were times where he absorbed some contact, but was unable to end the play in a resulting free throw attempts, or finish strong. Once he gets more experience and improves his body, man the NBA is gonna have to watch out!
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
That play on which he got the two FTs (which he split) in the end of regulation was a thing of beauty.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 04:16:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
That play on which he got the two FTs (which he split) in the end of regulation was a thing of beauty.
He made so many beautiful plays over the course of the game.

Id say almost all of his 9 made field goals were highlight worthy.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 04:40:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He made so many beautiful plays over the course of the game.

Id say almost all of his 9 made field goals were highlight worthy.
He has that thing where he can lull you to sleep for a split second and pounce at the same time that you just can't teach. Very optimistic about having him down the road.