Author Topic: An apology, my 2 cents, and then I'm out.  (Read 6735 times)

An apology, my 2 cents, and then I'm out.
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
First off, I'd like to apologize to anyone who was on the "A Salute to cold, Hard, Calculating Danny Ainge" thread last night.  I said some things that were admittedly classless, I even admitted so at the time.  I have been trying to remain calm in light of the recent Perk trade, and had been doing what I thought was an ok job, until last night.  Again, sorry.

As for the trade, I only have this to say.  Losing Perk stinks.  The intangibles he brought to the game cannot be easily replaced.  None of the players coming in are going to fill Perk's shoes.  Hopefully the team adapts, and can find a new way to win, although we have seen what can be possible when Shaq is healthy.

As for the future, I fail to see how this helps.  If fear of resigning Perk was the motivation, there is no garauntee we will be able to resign Green either.  Even if we do, at what cost (salary wise) will it come at.  We have no center going forward.  If the plan is resign Green, and then go after Howard, we will be limited financially in this scenario as well.

At this point, I'm still just too upset about Perk being gone.  I have no patience for all of the Ainge apologists right now, nor do I have any for the Perk haters.  Even those who are just trying to highlight the objective reasons for the trade, which is perfectly legitimate and probably most sensible, are getting to me.

It's probably for the best if I leave for a while.  I'm sure I'll be back, but right now, it's too much.

I'm going to leave with this thought.

Bill Simmons said it best when talikng about how his father felt.
I thought Perk deserved better than getting blindsided in Denver, then having to limp around with a sprained knee and pack his stuff with tears rolling down his face. Maybe I'm a sap. But that was our guy. Family. On the phone, my dad decided -- completely seriously -- that he would rather have lost the 2011 title with Perkins than have tried to win it without him. Why?

"Because he was truly part of our team," Dad said. "I don't want to root for laundry. I watched that guy for eight years. That should mean something. Continuity should mean something."

I still want this team to win the title.  It's just not going to be the same now if they do.

Re: An apology, my 2 cents, and then I'm out.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Hey man, props for admitting you kinda crossed the line and apologizing. I wasn't in that thread last night, so I don't know what you're referring to, but I know most people wouldn't make such a post.

I think you're wise to take a break, I too get heated sometimes trying to argue with people through these boards. Arguing with some people is just useless.

Hopefully, the new C's will play great, and once all the dust settles you'll come back and rejoin the community. Good luck with the hiatus.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:09:44 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I should add that I really do like the community atmosphere here.

I'm just sentimental.  Rather frazzled right now.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't care who is on the team as long as we win and its not ref driven like the Lakers last year.

Everyone loses their cool sometimes.  Easier to do online when you know a massive fist won't come crashing back in your direction.  But we all get agitated from time to time.  It takes a man in my book to admit it and apologize like you did.

Heck, some fans love Perk.  My loyalty is more to the team.  I once slammed a guy in the bar who talked crap about the Celts, lol.  Harsh words are one thing but at least you didn't stoop to physical violence.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Great sentiment in the OP.

Re-signing Green will be much easier than Perk because contracts are much smaller at this point in his career than what Perk will be going for. He will be an RFA, which really limits his options for another season. After next season, we will need him even more with Ray being done. Green also does not have Perk's health issues.

OKC needs someone like Perk because they don't have KG to set the tone. We do. They also already have 2 offensive stars that need to be surrounded by complimentary guys for the foreseeable future. All we have is Rondo for the foreseeable future, a player who spends most of his time passing. OKC is looking for missing pieces long term, while we are looking for a core. Perk is a missing piece kind of guy.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
What a perfect quote from Bill's dad. Im with him 100%. Man, Id like to meet Bill's dad someday, he always has the greatest things to say about everything.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I've only been on boards for a short while, but I really like the class and tone here. It's very rare. And I give OP my first TP for being so generous as to offer an apology.

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
KG's Knee: You have a lot of respect from me for that apology. We all do it sometimes because of the passion we feel for our team and certain players like Perk.

TP and wish you would just stay here.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I still want this team to win the title.  It's just not going to be the same now if they do.

1. No apologies necessary. Our common bond is the Green blood we share.

2. If it's any consolation to you. and I hope it is, if we win the title, you know Perk will get a share and the ring.....and he'll be thrilled for us and himself for us all being a part of this.

TP, by the way, even if I was on the other side in support of the trade.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:38:47 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:55:56 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
No worries man! We all get a little testy about the Celtics every once in a while. Take a breather and join us again for the stretch run. It's gonna be awesome, just give it time!

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I like the sentimentality of Bill's quote, but not its truth.  Most, if not all, of us would rather win another championship this year.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
KG's Knee - I ws not in the thread in question, to my memory, but hat's off to you for your apology.

I know that Perk's trade has affected a lot of us here...from my perspective, Kendrick Perkins reminded me of many of the men and women I served with in the Navy.

During my period of service, I was fortunate enough to serve with many interesting, talented people. The only downside to this? Tours of duty. You would get used to your division's personnel, form bonds with them, and then guess what?

They transferred. Always in the back of your mind, you knew that your teammates/division personnel were going to leave, but you just didn't think about it.

I have never met Perk or any Boston Celtic for that matter, but from watching and reading about Perkins over the years he reminded of of many of the no-nonsense, hardworking, down-to-earth people I served with over the years.

To see him go all of a sudden? Tough, to say the least.

Just as with my time in the sevice, when you lose a Kendrick Perkins, it takes a while to rebuild that raport with the newbees. As professional NBA players, I hold our Celtics a little above all franchises.

They will rebound...it will take time, certainly, but it will happen. It must happen.

And as for Bill Simmon's quote? Well, I love much of his writing. But I myself cannot disagree more -

The Boston Celtics CANNOT lose to the Los Angeles Lakers - again - in June. This trade, in many respects, will help to stave that off.

And, of course - getting Shaq and JO back.

Do we want to see Kobe smiling and grinning again this summer?

I want him to have the same expressions on his face that he had in 07-08, myself.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:33:24 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:36:44 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
KG's Knee...you are a bigger man than I......I am quite mad at a few people in here over this matter and I lost my temper...but I ain't apologizing just yet .....because some of the people in here have ruined the fun of this site for me.....and acted poorly on the other side of the fence. Some take this site too much for granted.

Again, nice of you to apologize....good character but probably wasn't necessary

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 06:41:17 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I remember feeling the same way when Red traded Ainge and Lohaus for Kline and Pickney. I had no attachment to Lohaus but Ainge was the man. It got worse when we all found out Easy Ed and Joe "The Ax" Kline were a bunch of stiffs while Ainge seemed to always be helping teams get to the finals. :'(

So guess what I'm saying is, if Green and Kristic end up being stiffs like Pickney and Kline, then we all can gripe. Until we find out, let's be patient, evaluate the talent, and root for our beloved C's to win #18. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 06:43:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I agree some take this site for granted and that there is no need to apologize and that people can sometimes ruin it. It happens.