Poll

Have you found the Recent Trade Ray Threads Funny?

Yes
17 (48.6%)
No, just not my humor
15 (42.9%)
No, the threads make fun of other members
1 (2.9%)
No, for a bit I thought they were real
0 (0%)
Other, see my comments below
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: (Poll) What's Funny & What's Not  (Read 12300 times)

(Poll) What's Funny & What's Not
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:27:44 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Happy Friday All, please take a brief second to answer this poll.  Thanks!

Earlier this week, Roy and I had some fun posting threads that were running at the same time proposing bogus trade ideas for Ray Allen and others.  The threads which we did separately were intended to be light hearted and filled time in another wise mundane midweek afternoon (that was until Posey signed with New Orleans).  Subsequently there have been similar posts with the same theme, also in jest.

The question was brought up to me and Roy by another CB’er by way of a well written personal message who thought the posts were mocking others and were mean spirited. 

Let me state, that speaking for myself and I am sure Roy won’t mind if I assume he agrees with me there is no way in “heck” were the satirical threads meant to insult or degrade anyone.  I for one am not a fan of any type of humor that directly degrades a person or group of people (Don Rickles, Dice-Clay, etc…), yet at the same time I am huge fan of satire (SNL, The Onion, Sports Pickle, etc…).  In my opinion, since the Celtics have won #17, there’s been some literally laugh out loud threads on Celtics Blog, I’d hate to think that some of them (especially any that I was involved in) were being considered mean spirited by a majority of my fellow bloggers.

With 100% respect to the poster who sent us the letter, I am interested in knowing what you all think; did you interpret the threads as harmless humor or did you think that they were stepping over the lines of good taste?  I don’t think that there’s a right or wrong answer to this question.

So I ask you, what’s funny and what’s distasteful?  Did we step over the line with the threads this week?  Should be limits (not that I have any nor want any authority to impose) on what is acceptable with regards to attempts at humor?  Should we lighten up and just roll with it? Other thoughts?

I would be interested in knowing what you think.

Please be respectful with your answers, this is not meant to point fingers, it's meant to understand.

Have a great day.

One other item, for the record, Ray Allen is my favorite Celtic and despite this I found great humor in the threads, that was until someone suggested we trade him the George Mason Patriots, that was a little much for my liking…….what?... Jeff proposed that?...Oh...Oh...Ok then...Now that is what I call great humor, yes-sir-ree!!!  :)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:34:14 AM by SShoreFan 2.0 »
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

Re: (Poll) What's Funny & What's Not
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:29:38 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think they were funny as i posted one earlier this week as well.  I think people just need to get some thicker skin and realize that this is just an online blog and it is meant to  be fun. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:38:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
My response is probably predictable, but I think all of the satirical / in jest threads lately were all in good fun, and many of them were quite clever.  The staff doesn't have a problem with humor, and frankly, we'd rather see a thread that makes its point through gentle satire, than through personal attack.

The only problem arises when somebody misses the humor, and decides to attack the trade idea.  That can lead to an awkward moment when that poster figures out that the idea was a joke, I guess.  However, in most instances, the joke has either been labeled as such, or was fairly obvious, so I think any hurt feelings often come from not having read the entire post thoroughly.  To some extent, any embarrassment is self-inflicted.  We can't essentially censor gentle humor on the off-chance that somebody could be offended.

I do wish people would read the entire thread before responding, sometimes.  I was told to "get real" because my trade idea wasn't realistic, despite it being labeled as "tongue in cheek".  SShoreFan clearly stated he was simply trying to create a trade involving Antoine, Ray, and Scal, due to all the discussion of each in trade ideas on the blog.  The recent "Ray Allen to the Patriots" idea...  well, that one should have been self-explanatory, but apparently wasn't.  Let's try to think before jumping down somebody's throat, okay?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:28 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Didn't read them mainly because I'm taking some time to rest emotionally from a great season. I'm sure I would have picked up on the jest had I read them, then again things are sometimes hard to interpret in writing so who knows?

I also think getting yourself worked up over an anonymous post on an internet blog borderlines mental illness. But perhaps that's just me I don't really care what the people I see everyday in real life think of my opinions.

And Don Rickles is great, remember the Dean Martin Celebrity Roast. Don't care much for Andrew Dice-Clay though.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Funny enough that I've assessed TPs again to Roy and SS. The only player I haven't read a "Bring Back" thread on this summer is Greg Kite, and given my assessment of O'Blount, I'm not sure bringing Kite back isn't a good idea.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:55:16 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Those threads were meant to be funny???????? :o

I thought you guys were once again just showing off your keen insight and tremendous basketball knowledge. ::)

Had me fooled.  ;)

LOL. ;D

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:24:44 AM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I like hearing different opinions, ideas, etc.

I don't get offended by it and I find it absolutely ridiculous that people take offense to "trade ideas" on a public blog.

It's "interesting" to read. So keep bloggin!
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown

I also think getting yourself worked up over an anonymous post on an internet blog borderlines mental illness. But perhaps that's just me I don't really care what the people I see everyday in real life think of my opinions.

Yak,

In no way am I "worked up" over an anonymous post, I received a well written non-anonymous letter stating his opinions, well written enough to make me think.  Much like yourself and everyone else, I too am pretty high on the value of my opinions, but I also see the need to be a good "neighbor"  and respect what others have to say.  If we don't respect what others have to say then it just becomes a free for all for self indulging pontification (which we've all done at one point or another) and what's to be gained by that?

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 09:47:38 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton

Yak,

In no way am I "worked up" over an anonymous post, I received a well written non-anonymous letter stating his opinions, well written enough to make me think.  Much like yourself and everyone else, I too am pretty high on the value of my opinions, but I also see the need to be a good "neighbor"  and respect what others have to say.  If we don't respect what others have to say then it just becomes a free for all for self indulging pontification (which we've all done at one point or another) and what's to be gained by that?

Dude it's cool. :) I wasn't talking about you. It's just I've seen in allot of forums and chatrooms internet wide people getting entirely too worked up.

I like to take every chance I get to remind people that they are just talking to strangers and life is too short to worry and stress out over these things.

This seemed to be a good thread to get that done in.

I do agree with respecting others opinion and that things can be learned from them.

I didn't mean to point any fingers toward anyone just trying to make a point that we should take the cyberworld a little lighter sometimes. And my sincerest apologies if it seemed intended otherwise. I don't always seem to use the best words or way of stating it though.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown

Yak,

Dude it's cool. :) I wasn't talking about you. It's just I've seen in allot of forums and chatrooms internet wide people getting entirely too worked up.

I like to take every chance I get to remind people that they are just talking to strangers and life is too short to worry and stress out over these things.

This seemed to be a good thread to get that done in.

I do agree with respecting others opinion and that things can be learned from them.

I didn't mean to point any fingers toward anyone just trying to make a point that we should take the cyberworld a little lighter sometimes. And my sincerest apologies if it seemed intended otherwise. I don't always seem to use the best words or way of stating it though.

Ditto, that's why I was throwing myself under the bus with comments I put forth.....although I can't believe you really like Don Rickles!!   ;D  ;)

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 10:01:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Personally I thought they were rude and distasteful and insulting and lame attempts at humor. The only one that was genuinely humorous was my proposal to trade Ray Allen straight up for James Posey. The rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Now go to your rooms and think about what you've done. And for those of you who didn't participate in this childishness, let that be a lesson to you.

jk...

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 10:04:52 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
Yeah I like Rickles lines on the Celebrity Roast bits plus it was all in fun. He may have been the best roaster in the lineup although Audrey Meadows was surprisingly better than I thought she'd be.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 10:07:16 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I'm the gunman.

My tradition believes that if you think you see a problem, you discuss it privately.  I didn't have an issue, but I saw something that maybe, might have created an issue and I PM'd Roy and SSF about it to let them know.  I didn't have my panties in a bunch or anything, but was just trying to offer an idea that might benefit the community.

What I thought with the satire and the threads in jest was that there are a lot of new posters coming here and they're bringing a lot of new ideas, but mainly a lot of old or just plain bad ones.*  Either way, their opinions don't change, their knowledge of basketball and their ability to make a trade make sense don't improve if we come off like jerks who go out of their way to mock them.  Once again, I'm not saying that the trade ideas came off that way me to at all, I'm just thinking that they could have.  In any group or social setting it's hard to ease your way in, but we all share a common enjoyment of the sport and a common allegiance to this team, so I think if there is something that could turn off fellow Celtic fans, let's look at it from that perspective.

Ultimately, though, it's the internet.  I'm not taking it seriously.  I just thought that to better develop community here, something I thought might be an issue should at least be examined.  That's all.  New posters usually don't realize that their idea has probably been discussed at great length and satire and sarcasm don't translate very well to the written word, so that's all.

*I remember my first post:  A trade idea for LeBron.  FOR LEBRON!  I was immediately mocked--for good reason.  If I didn't have thicker skin, I would have run away, tail between legs and never been a part of the community that I've enjoyed, especially coming off of this season.  I have no idea how I could have possibly celebrated the Celtics winning a championship if I was all the way over here all by my lonesome without a community like this to share it with.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
Yeah I like Rickles lines on the Celebrity Roast bits plus it was all in fun. He may have been the best roaster in the lineup although Audrey Meadows was surprisingly better than I thought she'd be.

If you like roasts, there's a great scene in Amazon Women on the Moon that parody's the celebrity roast circuit and has Steve Allen, Henny Youngman, Slappy White, Rip Taylor and others playing themselves.  It's pretty good. 

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
I'm the gunman.

My tradition believes that if you think you see a problem, you discuss it privately.  I didn't have an issue, but I saw something that maybe, might have created an issue and I PM'd Roy and SSF about it to let them know.  I didn't have my panties in a bunch or anything, but was just trying to offer an idea that might benefit the community.

What I thought with the satire and the threads in jest was that there are a lot of new posters coming here and they're bringing a lot of new ideas, but mainly a lot of old or just plain bad ones.*  Either way, their opinions don't change, their knowledge of basketball and their ability to make a trade make sense don't improve if we come off like jerks who go out of their way to mock them.  Once again, I'm not saying that the trade ideas came off that way me to at all, I'm just thinking that they could have.  In any group or social setting it's hard to ease your way in, but we all share a common enjoyment of the sport and a common allegiance to this team, so I think if there is something that could turn off fellow Celtic fans, let's look at it from that perspective.

With that said, I thought that maybe (MAYBE) the mock trade Ray Allen threads could turn off newer posters who were trying to get into the community or trying to carve out a little bit of space for themselves here.

Ultimately, though, it's the internet.  I'm not taking it seriously.  I just thought that to better develop community here, something I thought might be an issue should at least be examined.  That's all.  New posters usually don't realize that their idea has probably been discussed at great length and satire and sarcasm don't translate very well to the written word, so that's all.

*I remember my first post:  A trade idea for LeBron.  FOR LEBRON!  I was immediately mocked--for good reason.  If I didn't have thicker skin, I would have run away, tail between legs and never been a part of the community that I've enjoyed, especially coming off of this season.  I have no idea how I could have possibly celebrated the Celtics winning a championship if I was all the way over here all by my lonesome without a community like this to share it with.

For what it's worth,

I have to tell you all, I have the utmost respect and appreciation on how Robb shared his thoughts with me and Roy.  It was a personal note that was respectful and well thought out. 

Over the years I have really respected the posters who have been able to constructively share their thoughts with those who have polar opinions, only to see them later supporting each other on a different subject (Baku, Redz, Nick, Darklord & cdif911 come to mind). It's these instances that strengthen this community.