Author Topic: EPL 2013/2014  (Read 33102 times)

Re: EPL 2013/2014
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 05:55:13 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Very disappointed Chelsea have loaned out Lukaku again, this time to Everton. Why loan him and keep the useless Demba Ba?

Also not happy to see Juan Mata barely featuring so far. I love Mourinho but not thrilled with his off-field moves so far.

I am happy to see Lukaku go to Everton. Good club who will play attractive football under Roberto Martinez. It'll be a great place for Lukaku to grow as a player. A bigger and better club than WBA. And playing in a possession-based team will be great for developing Lukaku's non-scoring contributions.

I don't think Lukaku is truly good enough to play for Chelsea at the moment. Too raw. Not well-rounded enough. Good goal-scorer but the rest of his game leaves a lot to be desired. Another season gaining experience will be very good for him. Especially since it is Everton.

Disappointed Demba Ba is still there though. Nowhere near good enough. Has no business being at Chelsea.

Delighted to see Samuel Eto'o join the club. I think he'll be very good for the club.

Agree on Demba Ba, just worthless. Strongly disagree on Lukaku. He is ready. Has the size and strength to be a super sub. If he was actually given a fair go he would easily score more than Torres.

As I said, I'm a big Mourinho fan but I'm genuinely concerned that he has 'lost it'. He stated all pre-season that Lukaku would be very much part of the team this year. So what's changed after a few games?

Add that to the disgraceful treatment of Juan Mata so far, add that to the petulant response to the Super Cup game and I'm really worried.

So Chelsea have 2 past their prime strikers plus Demba Ba to bring in the goals, yipee ::)

Agreed on Lukaku being good enough to be a sub but I don't think he is ready to be first choice. I think Torres still offers more than him and I expect Eto'o too as well. So, I don't think there were going to be that many chances for Lukaku.

With Chelsea unable to move Demba Ba, they decided at the last moment they were content with Demba Ba as third choice striker and moved Lukaku to get more regular games / experience which I think he still needs.

That is what changed since preseason for Mourinho to change his mind on Lukaku's role this season. Signed Eto'o. Competition for places stiffened. Lukaku and Demba Ba were going to be less involved now. Wanted to move Demba Ba and keep Lukaku but they were unable to sell Demba Ba. So at last moment of transfer deadline, they accepted keeping Demba Ba for the season and loaned out Lukaku again.

Going to Everton -- with Roberto Martinez there and their high possession based attack, a strong team in Premier League -- I think will be the perfect place for Lukaku to continue to his education and when he comes back to Chelsea next year he'll be a much improved player and hopefully ready to play a bigger role. It is the right place (Everton) for Lukaku to develop.

I don't like strikers that only score the ball. That don't contribute in other areas. That is what Lukaku is at the moment. That is fine for a midtable club like WBA or Everton but Chelsea need more from their strikers. And I think given Martinez' style of play, Everton is a great training ground for Lukaku to better his all-around game. To develop his link up play. To do the things Benteke already does so well.

I am very happy with the long term effect this loan move should have on Lukaku's Chelsea career. I think it'll work out very well for all involved.

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 06:06:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think it's too early to know or get overly concerned about what Mourinho is going to do with Juan Mata. Mata was injured early in the season. Missed the first game through injury. Wasn't fit enough to play. Played in the second game (Villa) but could only give 60-70 minutes and was clearly still recovering from injury (didn't play well, not his normal self, not up to his standards). Missed the third game (Man Utd) which happened just a few days later (not enough rest/recovery time from Villa game).

I have no problem with those decisions in the league.

Then Juan Mata was left out of the super cup because the group with Oscar had been working well together (while Mata was not playing) which I thought was vindicated by how well Chelsea played against Bayern Munich.

I don't think there are any problems with Mourinho's treatment of Juan Mata so far. If he continues to be left out over the next few weeks, I'll be a singing a different tune ... but I think Mourinho's decisions with Mata have been justifiable so far. 

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Very disappointed Chelsea have loaned out Lukaku again, this time to Everton. Why loan him and keep the useless Demba Ba?

Also not happy to see Juan Mata barely featuring so far. I love Mourinho but not thrilled with his off-field moves so far.

I am happy to see Lukaku go to Everton. Good club who will play attractive football under Roberto Martinez. It'll be a great place for Lukaku to grow as a player. A bigger and better club than WBA. And playing in a possession-based team will be great for developing Lukaku's non-scoring contributions.

I don't think Lukaku is truly good enough to play for Chelsea at the moment. Too raw. Not well-rounded enough. Good goal-scorer but the rest of his game leaves a lot to be desired. Another season gaining experience will be very good for him. Especially since it is Everton.

Disappointed Demba Ba is still there though. Nowhere near good enough. Has no business being at Chelsea.

Delighted to see Samuel Eto'o join the club. I think he'll be very good for the club.

Agree on Demba Ba, just worthless. Strongly disagree on Lukaku. He is ready. Has the size and strength to be a super sub. If he was actually given a fair go he would easily score more than Torres.

As I said, I'm a big Mourinho fan but I'm genuinely concerned that he has 'lost it'. He stated all pre-season that Lukaku would be very much part of the team this year. So what's changed after a few games?

Add that to the disgraceful treatment of Juan Mata so far, add that to the petulant response to the Super Cup game and I'm really worried.

So Chelsea have 2 past their prime strikers plus Demba Ba to bring in the goals, yipee ::)

Agreed on Lukaku being good enough to be a sub but I don't think he is ready to be first choice. I think Torres still offers more than him and I expect Eto'o too as well. So, I don't think there were going to be that many chances for Lukaku.

With Chelsea unable to move Demba Ba, they decided at the last moment they were content with Demba Ba as third choice striker and moved Lukaku to get more regular games / experience which I think he still needs.

That is what changed since preseason for Mourinho to change his mind on Lukaku's role this season. Signed Eto'o. Competition for places stiffened. Lukaku and Demba Ba were going to be less involved now. Wanted to move Demba Ba and keep Lukaku but they were unable to sell Demba Ba. So at last moment of transfer deadline, they accepted keeping Demba Ba for the season and loaned out Lukaku again.

Going to Everton -- with Roberto Martinez there and their high possession based attack, a strong team in Premier League -- I think will be the perfect place for Lukaku to continue to his education and when he comes back to Chelsea next year he'll be a much improved player and hopefully ready to play a bigger role. It is the right place (Everton) for Lukaku to develop.

I don't like strikers that only score the ball. That don't contribute in other areas. That is what Lukaku is at the moment. That is fine for a midtable club like WBA or Everton but Chelsea need more from their strikers. And I think given Martinez' style of play, Everton is a great training ground for Lukaku to better his all-around game. To develop his link up play. To do the things Benteke already does so well.

I am very happy with the long term effect this loan move should have on Lukaku's Chelsea career. I think it'll work out very well for all involved.

Fair enough explanation. Though it's still poor player management to keep your 4th best striker and loan out your 2nd/3rd best one. Not letting Demba Ba go to Arsenal was probably the right move though, so I understand that side of it. Ba should've been loaned out to a mid table club. Not as bad as the farcical situation of having Florent Malouda and Nicolas Anelka sitting out the year, taking up valuable spots on the list but still just bad management.

As for Mata yeah I'm probably a bit hasty there but we'll see what happens. Hopefully he'll be back against Everton this weekend.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2013, 06:43:03 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Did Man United get schooled or what?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton

They sure did, Moyes is already copping it from the media. Still they did get smashed 6-1 at home by Man City a couple of years ago and managed to recover pretty well. EPL race maybe a bit more open this year, Arsenal look like they might be right up there again.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2013, 03:15:05 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Although i`m MU fan i can only say "it was about time"

the team needs a serious talent injection. They managed to stay at the top thanks to the magic of sir alex (i think is pretty obvious now) even with the 2nd tier roster.

Giggs is still vital part (a 40y old!!!) and they had to recall Scholes from retirement for 2 seasons. Name a midfielder able to play for a Bayern , Real, Barcelona , PSP, Dortmund ... i can`t think of anyone !

At the same time Murihno has the luxury of benching Mata !!

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

They sure did, Moyes is already copping it from the media. Still they did get smashed 6-1 at home by Man City a couple of years ago and managed to recover pretty well. EPL race maybe a bit more open this year, Arsenal look like they might be right up there again.

Spurs are really getting it together too, Ericsson has been fantastic and their defense has been great.  Lloris and Verthongen are beasts
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2013, 04:55:00 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
At the same time Mourihno has the luxury of benching Mata !!

Some would say that is more 'folly' than 'luxury'!

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Spurs up 1-0 on Chelsea....  Of corse Ericsson was part of the play that brought the goal.  He is special.   

Also, Verthongen doesn't get the respect he deserves.  He may be the best defender in the league
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »

fitzhickey

At the same time Mourihno has the luxury of benching Mata !!
depth is a nice problem

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2013, 09:52:01 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
Not bad 1-1 draw for Chelsea. Mata comes off the bench and has the assist for Terry's equalizer! ;D He needs to be starting games.

Might have got all 3 points if not for that ridiculous 2nd yellow for Torres.

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
Couple of big upsets with Aston Villa beating Man City 3-2 despite missing Benteke and Man United losing 1-2 at home to West Bromwich Albion.

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
This is gonna be k really open season
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2013, 03:31:40 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Some would say that is more 'folly' than 'luxury'!

whatever you call (and possibly you are right about it)  chelsea can field a Mata-less team and still be serious contender. MU`s best 11 will just compete for a CL place

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
Romelu Lukaku just scored for Everton against Man City coming off a 2 goal, 1 assist game against Newcastle. Before that he scored the winner in a 3-2 victory over West Ham. Course he's not good enough to play for Chelsea though ::)