Author Topic: EPL 2011/2012  (Read 18883 times)

Re: EPL 2011/2012
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »

Offline CaptainJackLee

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think Mertesacker's reputation is much larger than his talents. He was horrid this past season, sluggish, slower than ever and terrible distributing the ball. I estimate that more than a dozen goals can be attributed to unforced mistakes by him. At this point, Friedrich is so much better than Mertesacker it's not even funny.

Wenger should be fired, to be quite honest. He turned Arsenal into a club that doesn't really contend for the title any more. Installed a losing mentality. That's great for him - coaching without the pressure of having to win! It's terrible for the club though.  

Sorry, but thatīs bogus. The comparison between Mertesacker and Friedrich alone makes me cringe. Friedrich is 33, and had one good tourney, Merte is 26, and had 3 of them. Friedrich already lost his place on the national team, while Mertesacker will most likely remain first choice. They are simply not comparable.

Btw, Friedrich and Mertesacker both were injured for a good part of the season, so I wonder how you come to the conclusion that Friedrich is so much better, "itīs not even funny". There are several reasons why Bremen (and by extension, Mertesacker) leaked so many goals last season:

1. They play a heavily offensive-minded game.

2. Mertesacker was injured for a good part of the season.

3. Naldo, his partner at CB, was also injured, and they didnīt have any suitable back-ups.

4. Both their FBīs are abysmal.

5. They played, contrary to most teams in the league, with only one DM, Torsten Frings, who simply wasnīt good enough for the BL anymore.

Even if all you claim is true (and it isnīt), that would be his first bad season after seven excellent ones, a bit too soon to write a 26-year-old player with his pedigree off, donīt you think?

Itīs easy to make outrageous "estimations" on the internet, but this one has nothing to do with reality.

Friedrich had one good tourney and Mertesacker three? Wth are you talking about? I'm saying Friedrich is better, not younger.

And Mertesacker was injured for a good part of the season? In that case we aren't talking about the same Mertesacker. He was healthy during the season with the exception of a couple of weeks early on, at least I saw him on the pitch most weeks. Wait, let me get the numbers: 2700 Minutes in the Bundesliga (30 matches) and 450 minutes in the Champions League (7 matches). How is that being injured for a big part of the season? Unless you mean he was playing "injured". It didn't give that impression, but maybe that could explain why he played awfully so often. However, if such a thing happened, why believe he has recovered? In any case, he was always overrated and he'll struggle with Arsenal's heavily offensive-minded game just the same. Plus, he plays like a 20th century CB. He'd be a much better fit for a team that defends deep and doesn't ask the defenders to go forward and distribute the ball.

Mertesacker will be Squillaci part II for Arsenal.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:00:40 PM by CaptainJackLee »

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Manchester United 1, Manchester City 6. Yes, you read that right. 6-1! What a complete joke United's "defense" was today...

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Manchester United 1, Manchester City 6. Yes, you read that right. 6-1! What a complete joke United's "defense" was today...
Ah darn it .... I tuned off at 3-0. Figured it was over.

A lot of goals in the final 20 minutes. Oh well, I'll catch the highlights later.

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I thought United were pretty good until Jonny Evans got sent off. From that point on, City were clearly superior. They took full advantage of the extra man. If I were Man Utd, I wouldn't be concerned about the lopsided loss. It doesn't mean much.

I still think United are the favourite to win the league this year. Remain unconvinced of Mancini's ability to navigate the schedule over the course of the full season. He has cost them several points in each of the past two years and I fully expect that trend to continue for at least another year.

On anothe note, great chance for Chelsea to move into second place today. I have been very pleased with Villas-Boas and the passing game he has tried to implement. Eye pleasing.

Juan Mata has been a welcome addition too. Been crying out for some width, penetration and creativity in the final third for years now. Finally have some balance to the team. Although, I still think we need another player or two who shares these qualities to give true balance + depth to their attacking play.

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I thought United were pretty good until Jonny Evans got sent off. From that point on, City were clearly superior. They took full advantage of the extra man. If I were Man Utd, I wouldn't be concerned about the lopsided loss. It doesn't mean much.

I still think United are the favourite to win the league this year.

Agree, which is why I'm not feeling too bad about the loss.

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Mertesacker will be Squillaci part II for Arsenal.

Yeah, right. How did that turn out? And yes, he played injured, according to the Bremen brass. He had almost no vacation after the WC, and missed preparation due to the injury, so he was always lacking behind, physically.

Friedrich is without a club.
The fact that you chose Friedrich as comparison to Mertesacker shows that you only watched the WC.

Dang, Iīll never choose my girlfriend over football again.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:57:16 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Great finish to the Blackburn vs Sunderland match today.

Absolutely delighted for Martin O'Neill. Welcome back to the Premiership!

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 10:19:54 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I'm shocked not to have seen yesterday's events discussed on here.

What happened in the City game was totally devastating for me and I have never witnessed a climax to a sports event quite like that one.

Truly incredible. 22 hours later and I've only just picked my jaw up from the floor.

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
i`m glad you managed to pick it up cause mine is still on the floor !!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i pretty much embarassed myself cause i sent a couple of text messages to friends (liverpool and chelsea fans) celebrating another trohpy :D :D :D

a few years ago i remember Bayern winning the league in a similar way

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What happened in the City game was totally devastating for me and I have never witnessed a climax to a sports event quite like that one.

Truly incredible. 22 hours later and I've only just picked my jaw up from the floor.

Yeah, man.  That was amazing, but it sucks.  QPR was hanging in there epically, and then things just collapsed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 12:51:47 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
This thread exemplifies the state of Football in the USA. Arguably the greatest season in EPL just wrapped up, and only 2page discussion.  >:(

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

Yeah, man.  That was amazing, but it sucks.  QPR was hanging in there epically, and then things just collapsed.

They defended well. I had a feeling it was "fool's gold" though. If I hadn't been so shocked I swear I would have cried. Isn't it amazing how you can go from being uncontrollably elated to shattered, drained and demoralized in seconds?

This thread exemplifies the state of Football in the USA. Arguably the greatest season in EPL just wrapped up, and only 2page discussion.  >:(

I don't think so. This forum has had epic football discussion in the past (as I'm sure you remember). Not sure why it's taken a hit in recent times, but this thread doesn't paint the full picture.

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 11:08:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Delighted to see Chelsea have nabbed Eden Hazard.

Gives the Blues some real attacking swerve in the final third now with Juan Mate and Eden Hazard together pulling the strings. Haven't had this type of creativity since Arjen Robben and Damien Duff were running the wings. Absolutely delighted.

I think this signing puts the team back in contention for the league title next season.

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 02:45:53 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He was very close to sign with MU.... It would have been a great addition cause lets face the team has lost a lot of talent recently. And imho MU suited better to Hazard too.

Oh well .... At least i hope this time we`ll get Snejder

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
He was very close to sign with MU.... It would have been a great addition cause lets face the team has lost a lot of talent recently. And imho MU suited better to Hazard too.

Oh well .... At least i hope this time we`ll get Snejder
I think United have spent that attacking midfielder money on Kagawa from Dortmund. Someone young with upside instead of an older established player like Sneijder.

I don't know a lot about Kagawa. Only saw him play two or three times. Wasn't overly impressive in those games either but small samples and all of that ... so not really sure how much he'll add to United but definitely looking forward to seeing how he does.