Author Topic: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma  (Read 31423 times)

Re: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2019, 05:30:38 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
See how he does this season and go from there
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2019, 06:14:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Understand that ATL has max cap space available next season.

Would not be surprised if they make a MAX offer to hometown boy JB, especially now that Draymond Green has extended with GSW. Brown would fit in well with that team too.

Maybe, but it's totally irrelevant. If Brown signs an offer sheet with ATL, we will just match it and Brown will have to play for us for at least 3-4 additional years. Unless of course ATL wants to send us Collins (or maybe Hunter - depending on how he develops) in a s&t, then maybe the Cs let Brown go. Otherwise, he will be a Celtic regardless of another team's interest.

« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2019, 12:27:08 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Would not be surprised if they make a MAX offer to hometown boy JB, especially now that Draymond Green has extended with GSW. Brown would fit in well with that team too.
I am sure we are gong to have to match somebody to keep him. He is not a max player like tatum, IMO.
I hope he does make a big jump this year to make it hard on us. I think we should trade him to Indy for Turner. IMO
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2019, 01:17:50 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Maybe, but it's totally irrelevant. If Brown signs an offer sheet with ATL, we will just match it and Brown will have to play for us for at least 3-4 additional years. Unless of course ATL wants to send us Collins (or maybe Hunter - depending on how he develops) in a s&t, then maybe the Cs let Brown go. Otherwise, he will be a Celtic regardless of another team's interest.

I've been kicking around the idea of a package centered around Hunter in a sign and trade for Brown for a while now.

Not sure they would be interested since they clearly targeted Hunter to be a fit on their roster but I'd love to have a low usage, spot up, defensive stalwart at the 3-5 position in the starting lineup. Maybe that could be Grant Williams, maybe Williams physical limitations would make that impossible. Hunter has the ideal build for that role though.

The idea that Atlanta could talk themselves into Jaylen's star potential like Houston did with Harden is intriguing. They are IMO the best candidates for a Jaylen Brown sign and trade.

Asset management, upside, and the future of Jaylen Brown
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2019, 09:35:58 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Re: Asset management, upside, and the future of Jaylen Brown
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This article was talked about in. Jaylen Brown thread when it came out.  Why are you posting it now?

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2019, 09:57:11 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
This article was talked about in. Jaylen Brown thread when it came out.  Why are you posting it now?

I didn't see it back then.

Just disregard this thread if it has already been discussed.

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2019, 10:13:07 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I wanted to focus more on the scouting report on Brown in the article.

Like what the writer describes as being mechanical and lacking.

Here:
Among Brown’s biggest hurdles as a self-creator is his handle. He’s pretty mechanical and seriously lacking the shake department, rendering his attempts at deception largely useless. His arsenal is devoid of advanced dribble moves beyond something like a simple in-and-out, and he has neither the control nor creativity to string together a series of moves.
https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/7/31/20746538/asset-management-upside-and-the-future-of-jaylen-brown-boston-celtics

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2019, 10:18:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Sorry for the snark.  Came off a little harsher than I intended.

That said, I overall was not impressed with the analysis 5 weeks ago.

« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:10 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

From what I noticed from watching Jaylen the last 3 seasons, he doesn't have a finesse game.

What Jaylen does is he tries to overpower or out-jump every defender he faces.

« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

No problem.

We're good.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:37:05 PM by Fierce1 »

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2019, 11:23:51 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

From what I noticed from watching Jaylen the last 3 seasons, he doesn't have a finesse game.

What Jaylen does is he tries to overpower or out-jump every defender he faces.

I agree with this.

I see Brown and Tatum as nearly complete opposites, in that Jaylen Brown seems to rely almost entirely on his physical gifts right now and is fairly raw in terms of skill, while Tatum isn't as physically gifted (particularly lacking physical strength) but is exceptional skilled for his age.

Hopefully Brown will develop his skills over time, and Tatum will work on his body, and both will be beats! :D

« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2019, 11:58:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
James Harden left OKC because of a small amount of money that was a no-brainer to pay him at the time. Jaylen Brown isn’t the player Harden was, but Danny Ainge has navigated resigning or extending impending restricted free agents as well as anyone.

The point: Concern level is little to nothing.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2019, 02:05:15 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
James Harden left OKC because of a small amount of money that was a no-brainer to pay him at the time. Jaylen Brown isn’t the player Harden was, but Danny Ainge has navigated resigning or extending impending restricted free agents as well as anyone.

The point: Concern level is little to nothing.
Celtic ownership knows for this team to win we need to go over the cap. The Nets not doing a sign and trade hurt us. Kanter is a good big but we will not when the title with him starting. Our best trade asset is Brown unless Gordon Hayward  is ok with a trade. I don't think Danny will risk Trading Gordon without his approval. Our FA destination stock is on a downward spin, IMO.  I don't think Brown is here if Hayward is.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2019, 02:28:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think the Celtics will let Jaylen test free agency.  He is not worth a max offer.  If he gets an offer for more than we want to pay (I don't think he is worth more than $18 mm per over 4 years), maybe we can work out a sign and trade like the Bucks did with Brogdan.  I like him a lot, he may be my favorite player on the Celtics, but, realistically he just doesn't have the ball handling skills to thrive offensively in the NBA today.  Plus with Langford, who has a much better handle already, being on a rookie deal, he is easily replaceable.