Author Topic: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma  (Read 31421 times)

Re: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2019, 06:50:36 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I think the Celtics will let Jaylen test free agency.  He is not worth a max offer.  If he gets an offer for more than we want to pay (I don't think he is worth more than $18 mm per over 4 years), maybe we can work out a sign and trade like the Bucks did with Brogdan.  I like him a lot, he may be my favorite player on the Celtics, but, realistically he just doesn't have the ball handling skills to thrive offensively in the NBA today.  Plus with Langford, who has a much better handle already, being on a rookie deal, he is easily replaceable.

I tend to agree that Danny is going to let the market set the price on Jaylen. I don't agree he's easily replaceable. Replaceable yes easily not so sure.
ok fine

« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2019, 07:56:06 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
James Harden left OKC because of a small amount of money that was a no-brainer to pay him at the time. Jaylen Brown isn’t the player Harden was, but Danny Ainge has navigated resigning or extending impending restricted free agents as well as anyone.

The point: Concern level is little to nothing.
Celtic ownership knows for this team to win we need to go over the cap. The Nets not doing a sign and trade hurt us. Kanter is a good big but we will not when the title with him starting. Our best trade asset is Brown unless Gordon Hayward  is ok with a trade. I don't think Danny will risk Trading Gordon without his approval. Our FA destination stock is on a downward spin, IMO.  I don't think Brown is here if Hayward is.
Our destination stock is on a downward spin.....wow. We literally just signed one of the top FAs, for the 3rd time in 4 years....

« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2019, 08:20:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
How can one honestly compare Jaylen's value to James Harden?????  They are not even remotely in the same class.

« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Danny isn't going to let Jaylen just walk, unless a better FA opportunity or trade makes it necessary.

Even if Jaylen isn't going to be a 2 way all star, he still looks like he's going to be a very good 2 way player. He has a lot of value, which, worst case, Ainge will leverage in trade. Personally, I think the Celts still believe he has all star potential. He's only 22 years old. Jimmy Butler averaged 3 pts a game as a 22 year old rookie, so it's still early to pencil in what kind of player Jaylen will be for the next decade.

« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
How can one honestly compare Jaylen's value to James Harden?????  They are not even remotely in the same class.

When I made this thread the idea was to compare Jaylen to OKC 6th Man Harden not Houston MVP Harden.

Its worth examining how another organization handled an impending free agent who might not have shown enough to be worth his optimal contract in their system.

At what point do you overpay and at what point do you let them walk. In Harden's case it turned out that his true max wouldn't have even been an overpay.

With Harden he wasn't given the opportunity to show how good he could be playing behind Westbrook and Durant.

So we have to ask ourselves, is Jaylen an obvious max player on a team with more opportunity or is he just not that good. Harden was that good... Is Jaylen?

« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think it should come down to who plays better this season.  It's time for everyone to show what their made of, and who's a better long-term fit for the Celts. Out of Hayward, Brown and Tatum, someone will be the odd man out. It's going to be redundant and a waste of money to sign 3 small forwards long-term.

If Brown continues his upswing from last season and can improve his free-throw shooting, then he should be a keeper.

It's up to Stevens and Ainge to evaluate who the better players are and deal off the guy who the team can do without.

It's also possible only one remains and the other 2 get dealt.

It's hard to gauge what the end game is as far how the roster is constructed.

« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

When I made this thread the idea was to compare Jaylen to OKC 6th Man Harden not Houston MVP Harden.

Its worth examining how another organization handled an impending free agent who might not have shown enough to be worth his optimal contract in their system.

At what point do you overpay and at what point do you let them walk. In Harden's case it turned out that his true max wouldn't have even been an overpay.

With Harden he wasn't given the opportunity to show how good he could be playing behind Westbrook and Durant.

So we have to ask ourselves, is Jaylen an obvious max player on a team with more opportunity or is he just not that good. Harden was that good... Is Jaylen?

Understood. But 6th man Harden was so much better skilled than current Jaylen. I mean it's not even close in terms of skill level.

Key is what Jaylen realistically thinks he is worth.   Not having an agent makes it an interesting question.

« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2019, 04:40:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Except the talent levels of the two free agents are vastly different.   Harden is a top ten player,  I don't know if Jaylen is a top 30 or top 50 player in all honesty.

« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2019, 04:57:37 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Except the talent levels of the two free agents are vastly different.   Harden is a top ten player,  I don't know if Jaylen is a top 30 or top 50 player in all honesty.

Lets say that Jaylen finds his game out in somewhere like Atlanta and suddenly climbs up to top 15-25.

Are you saying that you wouldn't feel like we gave up too early on a great player?

If we don't feel Jaylen is worth a full max and he proves that he was all along playing in another market, that is similar to the Harden situation.

« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2019, 06:32:03 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Lets say that Jaylen finds his game out in somewhere like Atlanta and suddenly climbs up to top 15-25.

Are you saying that you wouldn't feel like we gave up too early on a great player?

If we don't feel Jaylen is worth a full max and he proves that he was all along playing in another market, that is similar to the Harden situation.

The problem is the full max is a very steep price.

Rozier got 19m per year.

Brown is going to get way more than that if it's a full max.

« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2019, 06:41:18 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I think it should come down to who plays better this season.  It's time for everyone to show what their made of, and who's a better long-term fit for the Celts. Out of Hayward, Brown and Tatum, someone will be the odd man out. It's going to be redundant and a waste of money to sign 3 small forwards long-term.

If Brown continues his upswing from last season and can improve his free-throw shooting, then he should be a keeper.

It's up to Stevens and Ainge to evaluate who the better players are and deal off the guy who the team can do without.

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

Tatum is definitely a keeper.

So clearly Brown is the odd man out.

« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Warriors had Iggy, Klay and Barnes at one point. The only reason they let go of Barnes was because KD was available, so its no brainer. There's no KD in Brown's free agency. It's not like the trio of Hayward, Brown and Tatum have same skillsets. Different players with different skills regardless of position are never redundant. We have done it with AB, Smart and IT and it have some success to a degree.

« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2019, 07:28:49 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

If the soon to be 30 year old & 30 mil a season Hayward goes through another 1/2 season and isn't significantly better than Brown, I don't see why Brown would 'clearly' be the odd man out.  That just isn't logical. 

I think you are over estimating the Brad-Gordon relationship's ability to influence Danny Ainge.  If someone has to go, and I am NOT convinced that one of the three does, do you keep the improving 23 year old player for 20 mil or do you keep the 30 year old 30 mil player who might be by the time this team is seriously competing again.  GH's contract is great for matching salary on another all-star-ish type player.  Jaylen's not so much.

Again, no one has played a minute of the upcoming season and you are already saying Brown is the odd man out.  You must have one outstanding 8-ball at home.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:35:10 PM by blink »

« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2019, 07:57:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

But I don’t think Ainge will let that be a factor.

« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Warriors had Iggy, Klay and Barnes at one point. The only reason they let go of Barnes was because KD was available, so its no brainer. There's no KD in Brown's free agency. It's not like the trio of Hayward, Brown and Tatum have same skillsets. Different players with different skills regardless of position are never redundant. We have done it with AB, Smart and IT and it have some success to a degree.

You're forgetting that before AB was going to become a FA, Ainge traded him for Marcus Morris.

If Ainge didn't trade AB for Morris, the Celts were going to lose AB for nothing if they don't give him a big contract.

Jaylen Brown is in the same situation this season.
If the Celts don't trade Brown on or before the trade deadline, Celts will have to give Brown big money in the summer because they would lose him and get nothing in return if they refuse to pay up.