Author Topic: The Snyder Cut  (Read 8919 times)

Re: The Snyder Cut
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 03:25:02 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
People think the man who thought batman should machinegun down goons had a "better" cut?  :o

I just want to see a better version of Justice League. Whether or not this is better, we won't find out unless it's released, but I'd certainly want to find out, and won't mind paying for it.

I just want a fitting ending to the previous movies. The studio was already meddling so probably never get everything Snyder wanted. The bad guy’s original design was nixed because it was too scary. Just one of many changes that made a worse film. But the weirdest thing in this whole saga is those people not wanting it to come out or making fun of those who do. Sooo strange.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Outside of perhaps Lord of the Rings movies, has an extended / director’s cut ever made a movie significantly better

There are probably a few examples, but in general I would assume good movies to have good director’s

Maybe not significantly better but the director's cut of Aliens is pretty awesome.  You get to see Hadley's Hope pre-alien infestation, the derelict ship from Alien shows up, & you see Newt's parents and figure out how the infestation started.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  BVS and MOS are my two all time favorite movies. BVS has a cult like following. Fans like me have routinely been mocked by rival fans just for enjoying something different.
It does suck to have things you love mocked. But in the end you just have to develop a thick skin about liking things you like.

I personally think those two movies are very bad and misunderstand what makes Superman and Batman great characters. But you put a Randian in charge of heroic icons like those two and that's what you get.

That’s soo ok to have that opinion. That’s the way I feel about the Marvel franchise, Shazam and Aquaman. Just too campy for me. Just not for me.

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 03:28:55 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Outside of perhaps Lord of the Rings movies, has an extended / director’s cut ever made a movie significantly better?

There are probably a few examples, but in general I would assume good movies to have good director’s cuts and mediocre movies to stay mediocre.

Kingdom of Heaven is a huge difference. This one has rumors of a much different story. But those rumors have been mocked. So we’ll see... I hope.
I mean I"m sure they have a shot list of what he wanted to do, I'm also reasonably certain it doesn't exist in fact because they wouldn't have done the visual effects or finishing shoots for it.

You could probably release the raws with a bunch of wire work and stand ins in funny suits.

Ooh no. It’s not like that.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 03:30:44 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
People think the man who thought batman should machinegun down goons had a "better" cut?  :o

Absolutely.
I am skeptical because the other DC movies that he was involved in weren't any better than what Justice League ended up being.

I know that’s just an opinion but I’m surprised not even Wonder Woman? It’s a far 3rd for me but I did enjoy that story.

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 03:42:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Absolutely.
I am skeptical because the other DC movies that he was involved in weren't any better than what Justice League ended up being.

I know that’s just an opinion but I’m surprised not even Wonder Woman? It’s a far 3rd for me but I did enjoy that story.
Best of the bunch, in no small part because he was just a producer/writer credit and not directing.

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I just pray they don't GOON up the Green Lantern movie, the Black Adam (Dwayne Johnson) and the next Justice League movie....

Marvel is kicking DC's buttocks and no one seems to care......

I grew up DC..loved Marvel but favored DC...sad to see the neglect..

The Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam movie brings me hope but they still have a LOT of work to do....wish they would've kept Ben Affleck....LOVED him as Batman...of course they get rid of him... ::) ::).....was rumored that they were going to recast Supes, too...

I think the new Batman will do well but he has HUGE shoes to fill...

DC seems to be ALL OVER the place movie wise....haven't seen the Joker movie...so is Jared Leto "NOT" joker anymore LOL? Why make a movie and it's not connected in ANY way to the DC cinematic universe....you can't take ANY notes from Marvel movies?

Heck, SIT DOWN for a few hours and take notes from the Justice League Unlimited series if you need help.

I want a coherent, Marvel-Like Story for the DC Cinematic Universe. Do this in my lifetime, please.

End rant.

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 04:23:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The problem is Zach Snyder's main skill is at creating and maintaining a certain dudely grimdark aesthetic. 

Doesn't seem like he's any good at telling stories in a compelling way, which is what most people are looking for in a movie.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 04:32:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I just want to see a better version of Justice League. Whether or not this is better, we won't find out unless it's released, but I'd certainly want to find out, and won't mind paying for it.

I think that's very reasonable, I'm just confused by how intense the fervor is in some circles. Like I have a hard time believing any alternate cut would be THAT much better.

With the improbability of fully finished effects shots for unused material, it's more likely a new cut just adds some additional character beats, maybe some snippets of action that were trimmed, at most a secondary subplot. Maybe a few awkward bits removed or recontextualized in a way that makes them work a little better. That kind of stuff. Nibbling around the edges rather than radical revision.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 04:34:53 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

Absolutely.

Best of the bunch, in no small part because he was just a producer/writer credit and not directing.

Well, co-wrote the thing, too.

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 04:37:20 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
The problem is Zach Snyder's main skill is at creating and maintaining a certain dudely grimdark aesthetic. 

Doesn't seem like he's any good at telling stories in a compelling way, which is what most people are looking for in a movie.

I love his storytelling. Not the campy popcorn superhero stuff. But this is kinda where it lies. Half like, half hate. Most want the more campy stuff. So I don’t see a return to this style unless they let him do a “ black label” flick.

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 04:41:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I saw this and LOL'd....not at YOU Pho but I've seen plenty of comments about Snyder's work relating to JL.

IMO he's simply been TRUE to DC Lore...

This SHOCKING episode from WAAAYYY back in the Superman Animated series fit the bill and was truly realistic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0pcChyV6o4

Dan Turpin was one of the first human beings in authority to accept Supes...trust him...and Darkseid  made an example out of him. He would go on to plague Superman, tempt him, bait him...even in the Justice League Unlimited series and it helped to build it to a conclusion.

It told a coherent STORY...something truly lacking in the DC Cinematic Universe at the moment.

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 04:41:59 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I have seen every comic book movie on opening night and even own all the movies on blu-ray. I definitely prefer the DCEU over the MCU movies. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman were the best comic book movies to come out since the Dark Knight trilogy. When Joss Whedon came in to finish Justice League and do reshoots, he changed the tone and story from Zach Snyder’s planned version. I definitely want to see the Snyder Cut, but we have to keep in mind that it would still only be part 1 of a planned (revised) 2 part movie. I believe Snyder was originally going to make a 5 movie story, starting with Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and a Justice League trilogy. But I digress, as we’ll most likely never see Justice League the way it was intended because apparently we need constant comedy and jokes in comic book movies.

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I have seen every comic book movie on opening night and even own all the movies on blu-ray. I definitely prefer the DCEU over the MCU movies. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman were the best comic book movies to come out since the Dark Knight trilogy. When Joss Whedon came in to finish Justice League and do reshoots, he changed the tone and story from Zach Snyder’s planned version. I definitely want to see the Snyder Cut, but we have to keep in mind that it would still only be part 1 of a planned (revised) 2 part movie. I believe Snyder was originally going to make a 5 movie story, starting with Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and a Justice League trilogy. But I digress, as we’ll most likely never see Justice League the way it was intended because apparently we need constant comedy and jokes in comic book movies.

Yeah, it’s a bummer. I’m pretty bummed out. I loved everything even Lex who people really hated. Gene Hackman was great at what he did but no real estate scam in this one.

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 04:53:43 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Avengers: Endgame has the unadjusted all-time box office record. If you have seen Endgame, then you know storytelling isn’t a big deal. When the whole movie hinges on one man inventing time travel before going to bed one night, then you know it’s trash. I like the MCU movies, but the movies aren’t really connected and that’s because there are so many different writes and directors. The references seem mainly joke related. Other than the Avengers movies or a post credit scene, you would have no idea the movies or characters for Thor, Iron Man, or Captain America were connected at all. When I watch Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and to a lesser extent Justice League, I felt more of a connection story wise between the movies.