Author Topic: When IS the right time to panic?  (Read 6464 times)

Re: When IS the right time to panic?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2018, 10:59:42 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2018, 11:03:33 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The time to panic came for me when I realized that both our young "stars" were another year or two away from possibly reaching their true potential. Both Brown and Tatum are several years away from finding their games. (Along with Hayward returning to form after his terrible ankle injury).

I was fooled by the quick success and consistency of other young players like Mitchell, D Fox, Simmons, and others. I thought our rookies would follow suit. For whatever reason, our young players look like boys playing against men.   

I underestimated the value of veteran experience when projecting the success of this Celtic team. We have a gap between our young players who still make mistakes and veterans who are hungry to win now.

Hopefully one or both of these young players will fill the void, and Hayward will return to form before it's too late.

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The time to panic came for me when I realized that both our young "stars" were another year or two away from possibly reaching their true potential. Both Brown and Tatum are several years away from finding their games. (Along with Hayward returning to form after his terrible ankle injury).

Me too.

I definitely factored in the playoffs last year when fashioning my expectations for this season. 

Just as a reminder, Jaylen in the playoffs last year: 18 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 54.9% EFG%.

Tatum -- 18.5 points, 4.4 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 5.1 FTA, 51.5% EFG

I thought we could expect Tatum and Brown to build off of those performances and take a big step forward this season.

Instead, they've taken a step back and both look to be struggling to figure out how to make a substantial improvement over last year's regular season. 

As for Hayward, I thought he would be rusty coming back, but I don't think I was anticipating quite this level of struggle.  Paul George wasn't incredible in his first season back, but it didn't take him this long to get to a point when he was consistently playing well, albeit not at his previous level.

I thought something like 15-3-3 with acceptable scoring efficiency could be doable for Gordon.  Instead he's basically Evan Turner.

I have to say that the biggest surprise and disappointment for me has been the utter lack of chemistry and effectiveness of the Kyrie - Brown - Tatum - Hayward - Horford lineup.

That was supposed to be the ace in the hole.  The best five man lineup in the East.  Shooting, passing, versatility.  Too many skilled players to adequately defend all of them in any given possession.  The ability to switch all over defensively.

Instead, they've been completely ineffectual offensively and play without much in the way of energy or edge.  That's disappointing and frankly deeply concerning for the future direction of the team.

Can that lineup figure it out, or is it a fatally flawed formula?  If it's the latter, then the long term makeup of the team is thrown into question. 

It will not make financial sense to keep all five of those guys beyond this year if they can't play together effectively.

I feel like that last point hasn't been talked about enough to this point. 

Yes, Hayward will continue to improve, as will Tatum and Brown.  But the degree to which that five many unit has been abjectly awful really makes me wonder if we can expect them to become the elite group that we thought they could be.  Simply getting to the point where they can be OK is not enough.  To make it worth paying and keeping all those guys, they need to be awesome

It's hard to see that right now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 12:10:00 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Anyone hear Bob Ryan on Celtics Beat? Sounded like he is reaching panic mode. Heard a stat on the show. Only one team has won a title starting the season .500 or worse in NBA history, 2006 Heat.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/clns-radio-online-sports-talk-radio/celtics-beat-podcast-clns-radio

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2018, 03:47:06 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Anyone hear Bob Ryan on Celtics Beat? Sounded like he is reaching panic mode. Heard a stat on the show. Only one team has won a title starting the season .500 or worse in NBA history, 2006 Heat.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/clns-radio-online-sports-talk-radio/celtics-beat-podcast-clns-radio
And a no team never returned from a 1-3 deficit in finals.
Until it did.

We just have to hone our play the next 5 months, then all will take care of itself.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."