Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366817 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #2010 on: May 15, 2019, 02:10:16 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Thank god sac didn’t go to 1. That would have been the end of this board. Now on the flip side if Simmons can continue his rapid progression from year 1 to year 2 and add .2 more rebounds and get deeper into the low 60’s%  on free throws it might not matter. Butler to La?

« Reply #2011 on: November 19, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #2012 on: November 19, 2019, 10:18:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Could this year's Sixers be last year's Celtics, where they become a team that doesn't come close to pre-season expectations because of chemistry, fit and underwhelming coaching?

Maybe the Sixers are this year's big disappointment!

« Reply #2013 on: November 19, 2019, 10:38:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Could this year's Sixers be last year's Celtics, where they become a team that doesn't come close to pre-season expectations because of chemistry, fit and underwhelming coaching?

I’d argue that Portland has the lead in that race, but we can hope!

« Reply #2014 on: November 19, 2019, 10:44:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Thing is, a LOT of people thought Portland would fall off due to their off season moves and Nurkic's injury. Internally Portland convinced themselves they had their best roster in years based on what reporters were hearing, which seems to have been just wishful thinking.

Meanwhile everyone had the 76ers top 2 in the east and Finals contenders. I think the team has to be the 76ers. Unlike Portland though they aren't digging a hole big enough to miss the playoffs entirely. So Philly can turn it around.

« Reply #2015 on: November 19, 2019, 11:01:04 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
There's trouble in paradise.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sixers-imperfect-fit-led-growing-210748344.html?src=rss

I mean, many of us called this with the questionable offensive fit of that group. They seem to be about as mismatched as you can get for a modern roster. The awkward Embiid/Horford pairing in conjunction with Simmons' significant offensive shortcomings and Harris' questionable role is a lot to overcome.

« Reply #2016 on: November 19, 2019, 11:11:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Thing is, a LOT of people thought Portland would fall off due to their off season moves and Nurkic's injury. Internally Portland convinced themselves they had their best roster in years based on what reporters were hearing, which seems to have been just wishful thinking.

Meanwhile everyone had the 76ers top 2 in the east and Finals contenders. I think the team has to be the 76ers. Unlike Portland though they aren't digging a hole big enough to miss the playoffs entirely. So Philly can turn it around.

That’s what I mean.  Portland might go from the conference finals, returning their two stars in the prime of their careers, to missing the playoffs.  I know Philly’s expectations were a little bit higher, but Portland is currently on pace to disappoint by a wider margin.

But I like Dame and hate Philly, so I’m hoping that Portland’s portion of the early-season trend doesn’t continue.

« Reply #2017 on: November 20, 2019, 12:58:36 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Look they are 8-5, thats a roughly 51 win pace despite playing 9 road games and only 4 home games (where they are 4-0). Thats also despite having their starting lineup together for very few of those games due to a short injury to Simmons and a suspension for Embiid. Tobias Harris isnt going to shoot 25% from 3 this year, and Al Horford will probably shoot better than 31%.

Sure, they have structural problems, and I love watching them lose as much as the next guy, but their downfall is being greatly exaggerated on this board.

« Reply #2018 on: November 20, 2019, 01:59:02 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Look they are 8-5, thats a roughly 51 win pace despite playing 9 road games and only 4 home games (where they are 4-0). Thats also despite having their starting lineup together for very few of those games due to a short injury to Simmons and a suspension for Embiid. Tobias Harris isnt going to shoot 25% from 3 this year, and Al Horford will probably shoot better than 31%.

Sure, they have structural problems, and I love watching them lose as much as the next guy, but their downfall is being greatly exaggerated on this board.

Post here is kind of missing some important details. You are touting their 4-0 home record but it includes three wins against teams that were in the lottery last year and two that are objectively bad (hornets and Cavs by one point in a game the year should have lost). I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if they won like 8 in a row and were first in the east in a month, but acting like they haven’t been mediocre so far is weird.

They have also played 13 games and only three of those games were against teams that will definitely make the playoffs (us, Denver and jazz)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:05:38 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #2019 on: November 20, 2019, 02:38:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some of their players lack heart and quite frankly don't care about winning.   I feel bad for AL going there.

« Reply #2020 on: November 20, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Post here is kind of missing some important details. You are touting their 4-0 home record but it includes three wins against teams that were in the lottery last year and two that are objectively bad (hornets and Cavs by one point in a game the year should have lost). I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if they won like 8 in a row and were first in the east in a month, but acting like they haven’t been mediocre so far is weird.

They have also played 13 games and only three of those games were against teams that will definitely make the playoffs (us, Denver and jazz)

No, its not. The sixers have been a much better team at home then the road winning roughly 75% of their home games and only 50% of their road games so playing a road heavy opening schedule will in fact decrease their win totals. Their schedule, while not the most difficult, hasn't been incredibly easy either. Tankathon has their SOS at 17th in the league, so slightly easier than average but not by a lot. They've also already made one full west cast road trip which only happens about twice a year and is notoriously difficult quality of opponents aside.

Also they literally haven't been mediocre, they are tied for the 9th best record in the NBA. They have been less than everybody expected, but by no means  bad and as I pointed out there is plenty of room for simple reversion to the mean to allow them to improve.

Again, I'm not saying they are gonna be elite or ECF favorites or anything, but its not a full blown panic time yet.

« Reply #2021 on: November 20, 2019, 11:53:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
They're the 13th best team in the NBA by net rating and are the 4/5 seed in the east. That's really bad compared to a contender. Essentially they are profiling almost exactly like last year's Celtics right now.

Home/Road splits don't explain why they profile like a 48 win middle of the road playoff team when they are supposed to be a contender. Not only that their two big FAs aren't meshing great with Simmons.

« Reply #2022 on: November 20, 2019, 11:54:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Some of their players lack heart and quite frankly don't care about winning.   I feel bad for AL going there.
I don't feel bad at all.  appreciated Al for what he did here but he was seemingly out the door before free agency officially started.  he got to choose where he went.  no pity for poor life choices

« Reply #2023 on: November 20, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't feel bad at all.  appreciated Al for what he did here but he was seemingly out the door before free agency officially started.  he got to choose where he went.  no pity for poor life choices
How did he make a poor choice?

He went to the 76ers because of money as much as anything. Sure they also sold him on being a part of a title team, but they also paid him more than anyone else was willing to offer.

« Reply #2024 on: November 20, 2019, 12:09:42 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Philly should have traded Simmons for Anthony Davis in February 2019 when they had the chance.