Author Topic: Magic (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Game 1 5/4  (Read 135592 times)

Re: Magic (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Game 1 5/4
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 01:38:48 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Q's keys:

1. Limit Turnovers because they lead to transition points.

2. Defense of the pick and roll This will help keep Perkins out of foul trouble. Have smaller people try to steal the ball on the driving Howard. Or have Baby take a position to draw charging fouls on Howard.

3. Rajon is MVP of series Having defeated Derek Rose in one of the best PG matchups I have ever witnessed in my 40 year NBA playoff basketball watching career, he must have the confidence to be able to make anything possible for Boston.

4. Ray Allen is Co-MVP of series His continued outstanding play at the 2 spot could be decisive for Boston. Orlando fans have genuine fear of this guy.

5. Win the rebounding battle For obvious reasons of setting fast paced tempo. For example, I think Perkins can run the floor against Dwight Howard.

6. Keep Hedo in check Make Howard and Rashard carry the burden of scoring.

7. Run Orlando off the 3 point line . Giving up two is better than giving up three.

I look forward to an interesting tactical matchup between the Magic and the Celtics without KG.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Yet another Tommy Point for FL.

GO CELTICS!

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »

Offline Gators3in364

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Keys to the game: 

Contrary to popular opinion, the best way to defeat the Magic is not to let Dwight get his own.  When Dwight is scoring 20 or more points, he usually is also playing excellent defense and rebounding.  I think the Celtics should make Dwight fight hard for post position, and then double team hard immediately when he receives the ball.  If you force him to pass out to the open shooter sure you might give up a three point shot, but if the shots aren't falling and Dwight is not scoring or even getting shot attempts, he often gets frustrated and loses his focus.  Then you have a chance of him picking up offensive fouls, or dribbling too much trying to create his own shots.  Further, when Dwight gets double teamed a lot the Magic sometimes forget to feed him the ball and shot early jump shots.  If you leave Dwight single covered and he gets going he might enter 'beast' mode and go for a 20-20 -5 block. 3 turnover night..  If you double team him relentlessly and limit his touches you can probably create a 15-14-2 block, 6 turnover game, which gives the Celtics a much better chance to win.     

Officiating.  Simply put, Perkins fouls Dwight on almost every play in the low post (if you go by the NBA definition) and sometimes they call it, sometimes they do not.  If they let Perkins get away with his various chest pushes, arm extensions, and two hands in the back, Dwight will lose his cool and play stupid.  Conversely, Dwight is going to go for a lot of blocks, sometimes they call the slightest bump a foul, sometimes not (for example the Paul Pierce play in the last game against the two teams).  Whoever gets the most 'benefit of the doubt' calls will have a huge advantage.  Whenever Mikki is matched up with Dwight I expect several flops.  Nothing gets Dwight more flustered than floppers and it's a quick and easy way to get Dwight on the bench.   

Believe it or not, Redick is probably the Magic's best defender of players that come off screens.  I wouldn't believe it either, but Lee, as a rookie, too often takes the wrong angle and lets the screener alter his approach, and Pietrus, while much longer than Redick and Lee, isn't as quick.  I suppose running through thousands of screens to get his own shots has helped Redick ascertain which angle is the best.  In fact, in a game against the Pistons earlier this season, the Magic had Redick in the entire 4th quarter guarding Rip because he was doing the best job.  So, Redick will do a better job at stopping Allen's shot than you might expect on the catch (not that anyone can really stop it), however, once Allen gets the ball, Redick has no chance.  A few dribbles past the three point line and Allen should get almost any shot he wants, and put a reaching Redick in early foul trouble.  Allen is adept at the pull up game where he also avoids getting too close to Dwight.

No Powe is a huge problem.  In one way, a missing Powe is larger than a missing Garnett, specifically in guarding Lewis.  Lewis succeeds by using his size against smaller players or his quickness against larger ones.  In their confrontations the last two seasons, Garnett was no longer quick enough, or two concerned with help defense to do an effective job guarding Lewis (Lewis of course couldn't guard him either), but Powe filled the void and make Lewis's life extremely difficult.  He was extremely physical with Lewis, to the point Lewis picked up a technical (anytime Lewis shows emotion you know something happened) and he even blocked one of Lewis's jumpers (hardly ever happens).  The numbers back up his effectiveness.  The last time Magic played the Celtics when they had Powe, Lewis needed 12 shots to get 15 points.  In the last meeting without Powe, Lewis needed only 10 shots to get 21 points.  He is a far less efficient player when Powe is on the court. 

Against Rondo, the Magic are better with Alston than with Nelson.  Nelson is a far superior player than Alston, however, with Rondo's quickness and length he bothered Nelson's go to move (his pull up jumper).  Alston is only shooting when he has to and he showed in the last meeting he can get into the lane against Rondo.  Alston is a better passer than Rose, and on his drives he will be looking to dish instead of score, which puts more pressure on the other Boston defenders.

Pietrus and Battie against vs. Scalabrine and House and . Neither team has a ton of firepower coming off it's bench, but in these four players each has two guys that can play hot and cold.  Sometimes Pietrus looks like Tayshaun Prince (Pietrus has a 7-foot wingspan and amazing leaping ability), but all too often he looks like the artist formerly known as an unpronounceable symbol.  Sometimes Battie hits every 18 foot jumper and is aggressive on the board and other times he looks like my mother playing basketball at the family picnic.   

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Keys to the game: 

Contrary to popular opinion, the best way to defeat the Magic is not to let Dwight get his own.  When Dwight is scoring 20 or more points, he usually is also playing excellent defense and rebounding.  I think the Celtics should make Dwight fight hard for post position, and then double team hard immediately when he receives the ball.  If you force him to pass out to the open shooter sure you might give up a three point shot, but if the shots aren't falling and Dwight is not scoring or even getting shot attempts, he often gets frustrated and loses his focus.  Then you have a chance of him picking up offensive fouls, or dribbling too much trying to create his own shots.  Further, when Dwight gets double teamed a lot the Magic sometimes forget to feed him the ball and shot early jump shots.  If you leave Dwight single covered and he gets going he might enter 'beast' mode and go for a 20-20 -5 block. 3 turnover night..  If you double team him relentlessly and limit his touches you can probably create a 15-14-2 block, 6 turnover game, which gives the Celtics a much better chance to win.     

Officiating.  Simply put, Perkins fouls Dwight on almost every play in the low post (if you go by the NBA definition) and sometimes they call it, sometimes they do not.  If they let Perkins get away with his various chest pushes, arm extensions, and two hands in the back, Dwight will lose his cool and play stupid.  Conversely, Dwight is going to go for a lot of blocks, sometimes they call the slightest bump a foul, sometimes not (for example the Paul Pierce play in the last game against the two teams).  Whoever gets the most 'benefit of the doubt' calls will have a huge advantage.  Whenever Mikki is matched up with Dwight I expect several flops.  Nothing gets Dwight more flustered than floppers and it's a quick and easy way to get Dwight on the bench.   

Believe it or not, Redick is probably the Magic's best defender of players that come off screens.  I wouldn't believe it either, but Lee, as a rookie, too often takes the wrong angle and lets the screener alter his approach, and Pietrus, while much longer than Redick and Lee, isn't as quick.  I suppose running through thousands of screens to get his own shots has helped Redick ascertain which angle is the best.  In fact, in a game against the Pistons earlier this season, the Magic had Redick in the entire 4th quarter guarding Rip because he was doing the best job.  So, Redick will do a better job at stopping Allen's shot than you might expect on the catch (not that anyone can really stop it), however, once Allen gets the ball, Redick has no chance.  A few dribbles past the three point line and Allen should get almost any shot he wants, and put a reaching Redick in early foul trouble.  Allen is adept at the pull up game where he also avoids getting too close to Dwight.

No Powe is a huge problem.  In one way, a missing Powe is larger than a missing Garnett, specifically in guarding Lewis.  Lewis succeeds by using his size against smaller players or his quickness against larger ones.  In their confrontations the last two seasons, Garnett was no longer quick enough, or two concerned with help defense to do an effective job guarding Lewis (Lewis of course couldn't guard him either), but Powe filled the void and make Lewis's life extremely difficult.  He was extremely physical with Lewis, to the point Lewis picked up a technical (anytime Lewis shows emotion you know something happened) and he even blocked one of Lewis's jumpers (hardly ever happens).  The numbers back up his effectiveness.  The last time Magic played the Celtics when they had Powe, Lewis needed 12 shots to get 15 points.  In the last meeting without Powe, Lewis needed only 10 shots to get 21 points.  He is a far less efficient player when Powe is on the court. 

Against Rondo, the Magic are better with Alston than with Nelson.  Nelson is a far superior player than Alston, however, with Rondo's quickness and length he bothered Nelson's go to move (his pull up jumper).  Alston is only shooting when he has to and he showed in the last meeting he can get into the lane against Rondo.  Alston is a better passer than Rose, and on his drives he will be looking to dish instead of score, which puts more pressure on the other Boston defenders.

Pietrus and Battie against vs. Scalabrine and House and . Neither team has a ton of firepower coming off it's bench, but in these four players each has two guys that can play hot and cold.  Sometimes Pietrus looks like Tayshaun Prince (Pietrus has a 7-foot wingspan and amazing leaping ability), but all too often he looks like the artist formerly known as an unpronounceable symbol.  Sometimes Battie hits every 18 foot jumper and is aggressive on the board and other times he looks like my mother playing basketball at the family picnic.   

Nice write up from a someone knowledgeable about their team and the NBA game.  TP
God bless and good night!

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Mickael Pietrus, Adonal Foyle,  and Patrick O'Bryant were teammates in Golden State

Sorry for the nitpicking but POB isn't with us anymore. He is gone to a smaller and worse place.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP for the preview FL!

I won't watch the game live (tipoff is at 2:00 am here and I must wake up early, plus I've still got to recover from my previous shorts nights after games 6 and 7 :P) but I'm hoping for a Celtics win to start the series and put a little pressure on Orlando.

There are many interesting matchups (almost all the positions in fact) and I'm expecting big games from Rondo, Ray and Per. Let's go C's, take the series lead tonight!

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 03:06:33 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Let Howard go 1 on 1 all night.  If we take away the 3pt shot, their done.

I bet if DH scores 40, we hold their team under 80. 

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
don't get beat from 3...make orlando create their own shots...esp lewis and hedo...do that and boston wins

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I'm headed for home and to watch Game 1.  See you all after the W.   ;)

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 69
TP for the preview FL!

I won't watch the game live (tipoff is at 2:00 am here and I must wake up early,

Ahh feel for ya man, that must suck hopefully ur awoken to some good news in the morning ehh. I'm out of my docc appt thankfully - heres to a good game from the C's I predict we get a 4-8pt win  8)

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 07:09:58 PM »

Offline Cs09Champs

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Never stop believing baby!
Thanks for the preview! TP!

I believe this game is a must win. We cannot give the Magic any confidence that they can win on our home court. Let's get this guys!

Let's Go C's!!!!
Let's go C's!!!

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 07:11:23 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Let Howard go 1 on 1 all night.  If we take away the 3pt shot, their done.

I bet if DH scores 40, we hold their team under 80. 

I pretty much agree. Just some very selective doubling to mix it up - but mostly 1 on 1. I dont want to give up easy 3s.

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
I'll begin tonight like most other game nights, by TPing FL haha...

By the way, Donny Marshall just did a Charles Barkley imitation and I actually really liked it haha.

"That's a turrible call."
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 08:01:47 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
ironic Dwight Howard's AAU team in highschool was the Atlanta Celtics