Author Topic: Timberwolves looking to trade #7? (Not verified)  (Read 21774 times)

Re: Timberwolves looking to trade #7? (Not verified)
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
All I care about in free agency is Hayward. I bet Danny-CBS have already talked to him and they have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen. If Hayward is a done deal (that's a big if), I can definitely see us trading IT and then signing Hayward.
Given that he is under contract with another team at this time, they certainly haven't. Not to mention that opting out isn't even a done deal.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19345960/gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-decided-opt-become-unrestricted-free-agent
Seriously? Are you really that naive? So what you are saying is they haven't talked cause the NBA prohibits it? How about they don't care and they have talked anyway?
Yes, I quite naively believe Danny Ainge knows who Joe Smith is.
Again, how about they don't care anyway? No one is going to know they talked.

We can't possibly know what's going on behind the scenes, but I bet things like that happen all the time. The way I see it, the Wolves just got unlucky.

No, most people in positions like that are pretty good about following the absolute letter of the law while finding ways around it.  There is ZERO chance Ainge or the Celtics have made any direct contact with Hayward or his agent, but there are plenty of third-party intermediaries that can be put to use.

Mike
For all we know, CBS and Hayward might be friends. Even if someone sees them talking, how does the league prove they were talking about the C's?

Anyway, for the sake of discussion let's say CBS hasn't himself talked to Hayward. The C's followed the absolute letter of the law while finding ways around it. Bottom line is we still have a pretty good idea of what's gonna happen in free agency. Sound fair enough?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 06:13:37 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2017, 05:57:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
For all we know, CBS and Hayward might be friends. Even is someone sees them talking, how does the league prove they were talking about the C's?
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
All I care about in free agency is Hayward. I bet Danny-CBS have already talked to him and they have a pretty good idea of what's going to happen. If Hayward is a done deal (that's a big if), I can definitely see us trading IT and then signing Hayward.
Given that he is under contract with another team at this time, they certainly haven't. Not to mention that opting out isn't even a done deal.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19345960/gordon-hayward-utah-jazz-decided-opt-become-unrestricted-free-agent
Seriously? Are you really that naive? So what you are saying is they haven't talked cause the NBA prohibits it? How about they don't care and they have talked anyway?

We can't possibly know what's going on behind the scenes, but I bet things like that happen all the time. The way I see it, the Wolves just got unlucky.

No, most people in positions like that are pretty good about following the absolute letter of the law while finding ways around it.  There is ZERO chance Ainge or the Celtics have made any direct contact with Hayward or his agent, but there are plenty of third-party intermediaries that can be put to use.

Mike
For all we know, CBS and Hayward might be friends. Even is someone sees them talking, how does the league prove they were talking about the C's?

Anyway, for the sake of discussion let's say CBS hasn't himself talked to Hayward. The C's followed the absolute letter of the law while finding ways around it. Bottom line is we still have a pretty good idea of what's gonna happen in free agency. Sound fair enough?
The NBA is not governed by the cops. They would love nothing more than to make an example of a team that is tampering. Remember Austin Rivers and how carefully DA had to play that bc of the obvious relationship.

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
So how does it work really? We live in a democracy (so to speak). Last time I checked, people had the right to talk to each other.

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I really hate the idea of trading Avery. I just love the player he has become over the last 7 years. So much respect for the work he's put in. But something has to give with this roster pretty soon and if the C's were reasonably confident Hayward could be signed, trading Avery straight up for the #7 (throw in a pair of 2nds if needed but not more than that), signing Hayward and playing him at SG next year would be a nice move.

Given Crowder's size, shooting this past season, age, contract, and defensive versatility, I don't think I would do a straight up Crowder-for-7 trade. I think he can be more valuable than that on the market.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »

• Ray Allen
I was listening to NBA radio, and on their XM sports update, the announcer listed league sources as saying Timberwolves are looking to move #7 for a win now veteran in the right move.

I have no link, and I will try to update. I have found no sources to verify this online, so I apologize for that. But they clearly said the above on XM Nba radio at 1232.

So I apologize for no sources, but this could be interesting if this is the route we go with Bradley. Thoughts?
#7 for one year rental of Bradley? Seems far-fetched. I'd rather give them Crowder and try to sign Hayward.

My first reaction was to agree that this is far-fetched but then I remembered what the Thunder got for Ibaka. Oladipo + Ilyasova and the #11. What if Yabu doesn't want to stay in China next season and the Cs offer AB + Yabu and a future lotto protected 1st for #7 and can draft Issac, Z Collins or Markkanen?

T-Wolves could then move Rubio, sign Rose (rumored target) and have a nice backcourt rotation of Rose, AB and Dunn to go along with Wiggins on the wing and KAT in the post. AB does seem like a Thibs target.

If the Cs puled that off they could potentially draft the perfect future Cs PF. Issac with time could become the kind of versatile stretch 4 that is super valuable in todays NBA. The Cs would give him time to develop his game and his body. I think this time to develop with be super critical for him as I do not expect him to contribute in his first season.   
They like Zach Lavine who also plays SG. ...idk how much but they like him.

I could understand the fascination with Isaac more if you think he will be playing mostly SF and some PF. But he is just not long enough to justify drafting him @ PF . Yes he is athletic and has good length(1'' more wingspan than Horford and 1'' more standing reach than Horford) but @ PF that length does NOT stand out.
that is more than enough size to play the 4. Are you kidding me? If he gained weight and strength(dont count on it) he could play the 5.

He is longer than Simmons.
When did I say he couldn't play the 4? If anything I gave evidence that he did have the length.  But his value as the #7 overall pick seems to be largely based on his high-ceiling because of athleticism and length and ability to spread the floor. What I am saying is that is length DOES NOT STAND OUT enough imo to warrant such a high pick @ PF. Are you saying that his length stands out at PF??

Same standing reach as Simmons and 1'' more wingspan.....Simmons is not known for his length because his length DOES NOT STAND OUT. Simmons game stands out and his length is more than enough to play the 4 even when comparing him to other 4's.Also Simmons has insane athleticism with a great game= warrants a high pick.

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »

• Ray Allen
So how does it work really? We live in a democracy (so to speak). Last time I checked, people had the right to talk to each other.
When you join the NBA you also accept their governing rules as a private business/entity....it's a privilege...not a right.

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Mike

The NBA is not governed by the cops. They would love nothing more than to make an example of a team that is tampering. Remember Austin Rivers and how carefully DA had to play that bc of the obvious relationship.
You said it yourself, ''most people in positions like that are pretty good about following the absolute letter of the law while finding ways around it''. Let's say Stevens/Ainge/(insert name) talked with Hayward's wife (about the C's :P). How does the league find out about it?

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I was listening to NBA radio, and on their XM sports update, the announcer listed league sources as saying Timberwolves are looking to move #7 for a win now veteran in the right move.

I have no link, and I will try to update. I have found no sources to verify this online, so I apologize for that. But they clearly said the above on XM Nba radio at 1232.

So I apologize for no sources, but this could be interesting if this is the route we go with Bradley. Thoughts?
#7 for one year rental of Bradley? Seems far-fetched. I'd rather give them Crowder and try to sign Hayward.

My first reaction was to agree that this is far-fetched but then I remembered what the Thunder got for Ibaka. Oladipo + Ilyasova and the #11. What if Yabu doesn't want to stay in China next season and the Cs offer AB + Yabu and a future lotto protected 1st for #7 and can draft Issac, Z Collins or Markkanen?

T-Wolves could then move Rubio, sign Rose (rumored target) and have a nice backcourt rotation of Rose, AB and Dunn to go along with Wiggins on the wing and KAT in the post. AB does seem like a Thibs target.

If the Cs puled that off they could potentially draft the perfect future Cs PF. Issac with time could become the kind of versatile stretch 4 that is super valuable in todays NBA. The Cs would give him time to develop his game and his body. I think this time to develop with be super critical for him as I do not expect him to contribute in his first season.   
They like Zach Lavine who also plays SG. ...idk how much but they like him.

I could understand the fascination with Isaac more if you think he will be playing mostly SF and some PF. But he is just not long enough to justify drafting him @ PF . Yes he is athletic and has good length(1'' more wingspan than Horford and 1'' more standing reach than Horford) but @ PF that length does NOT stand out.
that is more than enough size to play the 4. Are you kidding me? If he gained weight and strength(dont count on it) he could play the 5.

He is longer than Simmons.
When did I say he couldn't play the 4? If anything I gave evidence that he did have the length.  But his value as the #7 overall pick seems to be largely based on his high-ceiling because of athleticism and length and ability to spread the floor. What I am saying is that is length DOES NOT STAND OUT enough imo to warrant such a high pick @ PF. Are you saying that his length stands out at PF??

Same standing reach as Simmons and 1'' more wingspan.....Simmons is not known for his length because his length DOES NOT STAND OUT. Simmons game stands out and his length is more than enough to play the 4 even when comparing him to other 4's.Also Simmons has insane athleticism with a great game= warrants a high pick.
I took "he is just not long enough to justify drafting him @ PF" to mean that he was not long enough to play PF.

miscommunication. My bad.

In the modern NBA hed play the 4 and his wing like quickness and athleticism would allow him to switch pick and rolls and cover multiple positions and even protect the rim.

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
When you join the NBA you also accept their governing rules as a private business/entity....it's a privilege...not a right.
So what you are saying is that they are not allowed to talk to each other? Come on... Let's say they happened to be at the same place and they talked for a few minutes. It's as simple as that. At the end of the day, they could have been talking about anything. Go figure.

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2017, 11:11:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think Bradley and some second rounders or maybe even the Clips pick would actually work for number 7, but it'd have to require Bradley agreeing to extend long-term with them, which is uncertain. I actually really love that fit of Bradley in Minny. A lineup of Rubio/Dunn, AB, Wiggins, Towns, and Dieng is a really good mix of youth and veterans that has the potential to be a devastating two-way force for years to come. Then again, if they could get Isaac at number 7, that'd be a really good fit for them, too.

For us, I think that's a good deal, too. However, I'd really only do the trade if we could get Isaac at 7 if Orlando doesn't take him at 6. I think he could be our long-term fit at the stretch 4 with his skill set. I like Monk, but if we're already going to have Fultz, Smart, and Rozier on the bench with Brown starting at the 2, that's going to be too much in the backcourt.

Per the game threads on Canis Hoopus ;D, the twin towers combination is actually horrible, defensively, for Minnesota, with many fans there advocating that Dieng should come off of the bench, which is why Isaac makes so much sense for them.

I know that he's raw and that he needs to continue to add strength and weight, but between his work ethic, defensive effort/fire (he ate Tatum alive in one of their games, iirc), motor, and the ability to contribute to the game without scoring, there's a lot to like about him.

Take his last game against Xavier, for example.  Sure, he only had 8 points and fouled out in 33 minutes, but he also had 12 rebounds, an assist, a steal, and a block to make up for it, which is a good sign, imo, bc it speaks to his ability to be a complete player, and I'd take him at 5.  My only questions about him are 1). Is he really 6'10" or is it the hair, lol ;D, and what position does he play?  Who compared him to Cliff Robinson from Portland, and if he turns out to be anything like that we're in good shape, imo.  That guy gave the Blazers so many options on both ends of the floor and was pretty much a matchup nightmare, iirc.

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2017, 11:16:20 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think Bradley and some second rounders or maybe even the Clips pick would actually work for number 7, but it'd have to require Bradley agreeing to extend long-term with them, which is uncertain. I actually really love that fit of Bradley in Minny. A lineup of Rubio/Dunn, AB, Wiggins, Towns, and Dieng is a really good mix of youth and veterans that has the potential to be a devastating two-way force for years to come. Then again, if they could get Isaac at number 7, that'd be a really good fit for them, too.

For us, I think that's a good deal, too. However, I'd really only do the trade if we could get Isaac at 7 if Orlando doesn't take him at 6. I think he could be our long-term fit at the stretch 4 with his skill set. I like Monk, but if we're already going to have Fultz, Smart, and Rozier on the bench with Brown starting at the 2, that's going to be too much in the backcourt.

Per the game threads on Canis Hoopus ;D, the twin towers combination is actually horrible, defensively, for Minnesota, with many fans there advocating that Dieng should come off of the bench, which is why Isaac makes so much sense for them.

I know that he's raw and that he needs to continue to add strength and weight, but between his work ethic, defensive effort/fire (he ate Tatum alive in one of their games, iirc), motor, and the ability to contribute to the game without scoring, there's a lot to like about him.

Take his last game against Xavier, for example.  Sure, he only had 8 points and fouled out in 33 minutes, but he also had 12 rebounds, an assist, a steal, and a block to make up for it, which is a good sign, imo, bc it speaks to his ability to be a complete player, and I'd take him at 5.  My only questions about him are 1). Is he really 6'10" or is it the hair, lol ;D, and what position does he play?  Who compared him to Cliff Robinson from Portland, and if he turns out to be anything like that we're in good shape, imo.  That guy gave the Blazers so many options on both ends of the floor and was pretty much a matchup nightmare, iirc.
His team got destroyed by the 11 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Hard to really applaud a guy for that effort. I remember watching the game and he didnt stand out on either end of the floor.

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2017, 11:24:45 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Isaac could be our answer to replacing Olynyk on the cheap. If we could get the 7th pick to get him, I'd be all in favor of moving crowder and/or Bradley.

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

His team got destroyed by the 11 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Hard to really applaud a guy for that effort. I remember watching the game and he didnt stand out on either end of the floor.

Fair enough.  I could have gone with other examples but all I was trying to show was his ability to contribute across the board (no pun intended, btw ;D).  Sigh.  Sorry.

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2017, 12:49:12 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Isaac wasn't even the best player on his team