Author Topic: Timberwolves looking to trade #7? (Not verified)  (Read 21464 times)

Timberwolves looking to trade #7? (Not verified)
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:38:19 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I was listening to NBA radio, and on their XM sports update, the announcer listed league sources as saying Timberwolves are looking to move #7 for a win now veteran in the right move.

I have no link, and I will try to update. I have found no sources to verify this online, so I apologize for that. But they clearly said the above on XM Nba radio at 1232.

So I apologize for no sources, but this could be interesting if this is the route we go with Bradley. Thoughts?

Edit: I found it from a post by Steve Kyler yesterday, so maybe they were referencing that.  http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-teams-seem-open-to-trading-their-picks/

Don't know how reliable he is.
#JKJB

Re: Timberwolves looking to trade #7? (Not verified)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I was listening to NBA radio, and on their XM sports update, the announcer listed league sources as saying Timberwolves are looking to move #7 for a win now veteran in the right move.

I have no link, and I will try to update. I have found no sources to verify this online, so I apologize for that. But they clearly said the above on XM Nba radio at 1232.

So I apologize for no sources, but this could be interesting if this is the route we go with Bradley. Thoughts?

Not enough

IT4 on the other hand....

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

#7 for one year rental of Bradley? Seems far-fetched. I'd rather give them Crowder and try to sign Hayward.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff

#7 for one year rental of Bradley? Seems far-fetched. I'd rather give them Crowder and try to sign Hayward.

I agree about Bradley. I'm just not sure Crowder is a good enough player for them to give up the #7.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:45:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Maybe for Crowder, Rozier and multiple 2nds

Still may not be enough

But IT4 and 2017 2nds ... Should work

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I agree about Bradley. I'm just not sure Crowder is a good enough player for them to give up the #7.
I think Crowder is better than Bradley. However, MN doesn't need Crowder as they already have Wiggins and Muhammad. They do need a SG though.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd like to see them draft Isaac. A defensive combo forward who can shoot would be a nice addition to their roster.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I think Crowder is better than Bradley. However, MN doesn't need Crowder as they already have Wiggins and Muhammad. They do need a SG though.
Even AB+Crowder doesnt seem like it would get it done and you can only really do that trade if you are confident you can get Hayward even after trading away 2 starters for a draft pick which seems unlikely to me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
They wasted their pick last year on Dunn so they may be better off trading it this year

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
So say we did Crowder and Bradley for the 7 and some other asset on their end (maybe not.) Would that be enough cap relief to get Hayward?

It looks like the rookie scale for next year is 3.8 million (for 7.) Crowder and Bradley combined make 15.6. Is the 11.8 million generated enough to get Hayward? (I'm not clear after looking at our cap.)

Assuming we get Hayward, who do we take at 7? It's got to be a PF right? I think it would be between Isaac, Markkanen and Zach Collins.

That could be an interesting roster going into next year.

Pg- IT4/Fultz/Rozier
SG- Brown/Smart/Fultz/Rozier
SF- Hayward/Brown/Smart
PF- (Fuzzy who would start)/7/Horford
C- Horford/Zizic/7

Fill in a few vet minimums to hit the player floor.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/rookie-scale-salaries-for-2017-first-round-picks.html
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:09:46 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Crowder and Bradley for 7?  People really overvalue these picks.  What are the odds that that player ever becomes as good as either one? 

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 01:17:46 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
Crowder and Bradley for 7?  People really overvalue these picks.  What are the odds that that player ever becomes as good as either one?

Unfortunately I think it is more of a factor of the impending roster crunch economically. Bradley looks like the odd man out, and Crowder is expendable if we get Hayward. Especially now that Crowder looks lost on defense.

So while the odds aren't great, we could help alleviate the crunch while attempting to solve our front court issues by getting a cost controlled asset in a strong draft.
#JKJB

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 01:27:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Unfortunately I think it is more of a factor of the impending roster crunch economically. Bradley looks like the odd man out, and Crowder is expendable if we get Hayward. Especially now that Crowder looks lost on defense.

So while the odds aren't great, we could help alleviate the crunch while attempting to solve our front court issues by getting a cost controlled asset in a strong draft.
Move would also allow you to keep Olynyk who is a solid rotational big man(ducks for cover).

Consensus seems to be that we will chase hayward and the only way to get him without gutting the froncourt(would literally just be Al and Ante) or creating a massive wing/guard logjam is to trade 2 of Bradley/Crowder/Smart for a big or big man prospect.

At #7 you can feasibly get your pick of Isaac Markanen and Collins. All 3 project to fit well with what we want to do.

Suppose we get Isaac:
Thomas Rozier
Smart Fultz
Hayward Brown
Kelly Isaac
Horford Zizic

you at least have some good balance in that rotation. Lots of issues tho.
1. you are counting on big minutes from 3 rookies and a second year player.
2. Even if you get production from all 3 rookies, you are still only 10 deep
3. Your starting frontcourt can neither protect the rim nor defend the perimeter
4. Why does Gordon Hayward sign with a team that just traded 2 starters for a rookie?
5. Pick 7 probably is unlikely to ever be as good as Bradley or Crowder who is on a terrific contract.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 01:34:47 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
7th pick for Crowder, Yabusele, 37th pick - fair deal

Remember that Serge Ibaka yielded the 11th pick, Victor Oladipo (2nd overall 3 years prior) and Ersan Ilyasova. And that was wih only 1 year left on his deal. Jae Crowder is a versatile defender and much improved offensive player who has multiple years left on his deal at a very low cost.

My guess would be the C's would target Isaac or Markkanen 7th overall.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

First off it's 1 year of Bradley who if we were to trade would mean we have no intention to re-sign. As for whether or not the 7th pick will likely turn out to be as good Crowder this is a particularly deep draft 1-11.

Isaac has about as much potential as Jaylen did coming out of Cal last year and could very well turn into the type of player that would overtake Crowder in the rotation. He fits in better with the time table and cashes in on the + value of Crowder's contract. It's not so far fetched of a deal.