Author Topic: Detroit will be a contender in the East very soon.  (Read 2294 times)

Detroit will be a contender in the East very soon.
« on: April 18, 2016, 06:19:21 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Watching Pistons against Cavs, I was extremely impressed with SVG team. Their core is very young, very talented and very hard working.

Stan has the Pistons replicate his Orlando Magic team of 2009 but this team is much deeper, younger and other than a prime Howard, more talented.

Drummond will be a perennial all star and if he can work on some of his post moves and raise his FT shooting to even just a respectable .600 he will be the best centre in the game. KCP and Stanley Johnson look to have great upside and I am extremely surprised about the strides Reggie Jackson has made. Marcus Morris is the perfect modern 4 who could play the 5 in a small ball line up if he put on some size and if Drummond doesn't hit his FT's Baynes is a fantastic back up centre. I can see Pistons taking Raptors spot as the 2nd seed in the East even next season if they can get some better supporting players.

Re: Detroit will be a contender in the East very soon.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Agreed. I love their size and athleticism 1 through 5. A very tough team to matchup against physically. They have lots of young guys who are improving. Team should be a 47-52 win squad next year just with internal development of the talent they have already collected.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:57:45 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I bet we'll see Tobias Harris come up with a big game 2. He seemed hesitant in what was his first playoff game at 23. He was hustling, but seemed to lack confidence in his shot (he only had 11 FGA in 40 mins)

Same is true for a lot of that team actually. Young, first time in the playoffs, or first time being featured on a team in the playoffs.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 11:10:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I bet we'll see Tobias Harris come up with a big game 2. He seemed hesitant in what was his first playoff game at 23. He was hustling, but seemed to lack confidence in his shot (he only had 11 FGA in 40 mins)

Same is true for a lot of that team actually. Young, first time in the playoffs, or first time being featured on a team in the playoffs.
maybe, but I expect Cleveland to blow them out.  Game 3 is the one game I think Detroit has a real shot at winning, but this is a 4 or 5 game series at best.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This reminds of how bleak the C's situation is. Pistons have a lot more talent than C's and are a rising team. They will probably lose in 5 games. C's need a great draft and FA or its back to a 7 or 8 seed come next year.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
This reminds of how bleak the C's situation is. Pistons have a lot more talent than C's and are a rising team. They will probably lose in 5 games. C's need a great draft and FA or its back to a 7 or 8 seed come next year.

Sad. Yet true.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 11:42:37 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Look, I know pessimism is popular on this forum (I myself can be pessimistic when we are playing awful and losing games so I completely understand where you are coming from) but to say our situation is bleak is a stretch. We're set up with a good young core and a set of draft picks for the next 3-4 years that will keep us on the rise. Heck, we had the same exact record as the three seed this year, and are getting the draft picks of the third worst team in the league (this year at least) for the next three drafts. It's hard to call our situation "bleak" when there are teams out there like Brookln who suck out loud and don't even have their own draft picks to make things better for them.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 11:58:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Sad. Yet true.

It's neither.  20-25 teams would kill to be set up for the future the way we are.  You'd have to be pretty deep in the pessimism tank to see our future as "bleak" in any way. 

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Sad. Yet true.

It's neither.  20-25 teams would kill to be set up for the future the way we are.  You'd have to be pretty deep in the pessimism tank to see our future as "bleak" in any way.

You're right. Maybe bleak was the wrong word. I just think detroits situation is a great one. They have 2 players who could be legit stars. I still love our situation, but it's just interesting to compare it with other teams.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
It's good to see Detroit back on the map. They'd gone through a very bleak time over the last decade. Front office ineptitude, roster dysfunction, a coaching turnstile, a messy ownership change -- nothing about the franchise was positive in any way.

Despite his current flaws, Drummond seems a good piece to build around. Amazing how that can help solidify a plan for a rebuild.

Back on track, but still lots of work to be done. Every player needs to continue to develop.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague