Author Topic: Kyrie update  (Read 6767 times)

Re: Kyrie update
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Best player on a 60 win team for the first time his career this year!

If he stays with the Celtics, there will be more.

I think we're going to hear a lot of Kyrie's name in the MVP discussions this year.

I have my doubts - but I can see a pathway to it. Voters are likely to consider the top scorer on a 60+ win team to be 'in the discussion'.

The knee has to hold up...

He won't be the best player on the Celtics, though.
He was routinely in the running for MVP race according to NBA.com throughout last year when he was healthy, around 5 or so. So if he returns to that level of play, he most likely will be (assuming we win, which we will ;) )
Hayward didn't play though and Hayward is better than Irving.

Putting aside the question of who is better, Kyrie's style has resulted in more personal accolades than Hayward even though Hayward was always the #1 on his team and Kyrie wasn't for a lot of his time in Cleveland. Based just on that,  Kyrie is more likely to be in the MVP conversation.

And of the two injuries, Hayward's is going to be harder to come back from.
I don't disagree with much of this, but neither one is going to come all that close to winning the MVP.  I do disagree with the injury harder to come back from.  Irving's is far more likely to be recurring and have problems.  First, because it a knee has injured a lot.  Second, because it is a knee.  Third, because it wasn't a clean break.[/]  It may take Hayward a bit longer to round into full playing shape (MAY), but I think he is much more likely to eventually return to 100% than Irving.  In fact, I expect Irving to have knee issues for the rest of his career (at least off and on).

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Kyrie's injury this past season wasn't a break, it was an infection. The only thing he's recovering from is the surgery.

If you want to say Kyrie is more likely to get a new injury, given his history, I would agree with that. But in terms of recovery, Hayward's path has been much longer, more arduous, and more likely to affect his play in the short term.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2018, 11:30:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think we're going to hear a lot of Kyrie's name in the MVP discussions this year.

I have my doubts - but I can see a pathway to it. Voters are likely to consider the top scorer on a 60+ win team to be 'in the discussion'.

He was routinely in the running for MVP race according to NBA.com throughout last year when he was healthy, around 5 or so. So if he returns to that level of play, he most likely will be (assuming we win, which we will ;) )

Putting aside the question of who is better, Kyrie's style has resulted in more personal accolades than Hayward even though Hayward was always the #1 on his team and Kyrie wasn't for a lot of his time in Cleveland. Based just on that,  Kyrie is more likely to be in the MVP conversation.

I don't disagree with much of this, but neither one is going to come all that close to winning the MVP.  I do disagree with the injury harder to come back from.  Irving's is far more likely to be recurring and have problems.  First, because it a knee has injured a lot.  Second, because it is a knee.  Third, because it wasn't a clean break.[/]  It may take Hayward a bit longer to round into full playing shape (MAY), but I think he is much more likely to eventually return to 100% than Irving.  In fact, I expect Irving to have knee issues for the rest of his career (at least off and on).

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Kyrie's injury this past season wasn't a break, it was an infection. The only thing he's recovering from is the surgery.

If you want to say Kyrie is more likely to get a new injury, given his history, I would agree with that. But in terms of recovery, Hayward's path has been much longer, more arduous, and more likely to affect his play in the short term.
Yeah that was my point.  A clean break of a bone is a much easier injury to come back from then a non-break.  It may take a bit longer to heal with a bone break, but it is in fact easier to get back to 100% from.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 02:33:25 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

We don't need him to be the best player, we want to be the best team.
Teams win chips, players just win accolades.

Mike was the best player in the league '88-'90 and it didn't mean anything regarding the rings.
RW was the MVP 2 years ago and they lasted 5 playoff games.

Give me the best team (coaches, starters, bench) and I won't ask for anything more.
Kyrie can be the 35th player then.

Exactly what I think.  And by the way, 35th sounds about right.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Yeah that was my point.  A clean break of a bone is a much easier injury to come back from then a non-break. It may take a bit longer to heal with a bone break, but it is in fact easier to get back to 100% from.

I'm not a doctor but I feel very confident that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Breaking a bone is not easier to come back from than every non-break injury a person could have.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah that was my point.  A clean break of a bone is a much easier injury to come back from then a non-break. It may take a bit longer to heal with a bone break, but it is in fact easier to get back to 100% from.

I'm not a doctor but I feel very confident that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Breaking a bone is not easier to come back from than every non-break injury a person could have.
of course not every nonbreak. That would be silly but we are talking about Hayward and Irving's injuries
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 01:38:19 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

of course not every nonbreak. That would be silly but we are talking about Hayward and Irving's injuries

I think it's possible that you guys are talking past each other to some extent. "Recovery" and "Risk of Recurrence" are separate though connected issues.

Hayward's injury was about as drastic as it gets, and it's only now that he's getting ready to get back to playing pro basketball. Kyrie played 60 some games last year and is getting back to playing pro basketball.

Irving's surgery was to deal with the problems of a previous injury and surgery, though; given that, the likelihood of further problems down the road is increased. And, it's the knee joint, which is the most vulnerable joint for basketball players, who are changing direction all the time, etc.

So, longer recovery for Hayward; greater risk of recurrent problems for Kyrie.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I think it's possible that you guys are talking past each other to some extent. "Recovery" and "Risk of Recurrence" are separate though connected issues.

Hayward's injury was about as drastic as it gets, and it's only now that he's getting ready to get back to playing pro basketball. Kyrie played 60 some games last year and is getting back to playing pro basketball.

Irving's surgery was to deal with the problems of a previous injury and surgery, though; given that, the likelihood of further problems down the road is increased. And, it's the knee joint, which is the most vulnerable joint for basketball players, who are changing direction all the time, etc.

So, longer recovery for Hayward; greater risk of recurrent problems for Kyrie.

Kyrie didn't suffer any injury, that first surgery was to remove the screws/wiring, then they tested them and found the infection. Aside from the infection he was structurally sound and would have been back on the court.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)