Author Topic: draft addict's thread of nots  (Read 4867 times)

draft addict's thread of nots
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:20:43 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Throw some darts at your favorite draft site. 

as of March 24th:

Hey Draft Express, Lazar Hayward the senior will be drafted, not go undrafted.
Hey Draft Express, Ed Davis, if he's in the draft at all, will not be picked 7th, as you say, but 10 or later....
Xavier Henry will be gone by pick 10, not picked 14th.  Wes. Johnson will be top 5, not picked 8th.  Hassan Whiteside will be gone by 11, not picked 18th.
Da'Sean Butler is a first rounder!

Hey NBA Draft Net, pretty good, but Hassan Whiteside will be picked ahead of Greg Monroe.

Re: draft addict's thread of nots
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I trust DraftExpress more than any other draft website.

I think Wes Johnson isn't in the Top 5 because of a lack of skill; Al-Farouq Aminu has more raw athleticism and physical ability, though he also lacks skill. 

Top 5 is pretty solid at

Wall
Turner
Cousins / Favors
Aminu

I agree that Da'Sean Butler should be a 1st rounder.  I wouldn't mind seeing the C's take a chance on him.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:51:16 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I trust DraftExpress more than any other draft website.

I think Wes Johnson isn't in the Top 5 because of a lack of skill; Al-Farouq Aminu has more raw athleticism and physical ability, though he also lacks skill. 

Top 5 is pretty solid at

Wall
Turner
Cousins / Favors
Aminu

I agree that Da'Sean Butler should be a 1st rounder.  I wouldn't mind seeing the C's take a chance on him.

I would be very happy if the C's were able to get Da'Sean Butler with their 1st rd pick. He is not very athletic, but he is very clutch, he had like 6 game winning shots this year. He is also very dedicated on the defensive end. Kind of remind me of Ryan Gomes.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:24:04 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Well, we can forget about Da'Sean Butler (unless the C's take him with a late second).

Maybe the C's can take a risk on a white guy and draft Kyle Singler or Gordon Hayward.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:13:09 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Well, we can forget about Da'Sean Butler (unless the C's take him with a late second).

Maybe the C's can take a risk on a white guy and draft Kyle Singler or Gordon Hayward.
I say Danny should ignore ethnicity. Nothing wrong with taking risks, but it needn't be tied to ethnicity... unless you mean that white guys are inherently risky.

I see no marketing value in adding a white guy since I do not remember Scal, Wally, and Raef selling tix.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I agree completely on lazar Hayward, but won't harp on him too much because people on this blog are already sick of me harping about how good Marquette sleepers are. I will say this, Hayward is Ryan Gomes 2.0.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:17:39 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

I say Danny should ignore ethnicity. Nothing wrong with taking risks, but it needn't be tied to ethnicity... unless you mean that white guys are inherently risky.

I see no marketing value in adding a white guy since I do not remember Scal, Wally, and Raef selling tix.

I said it that way (in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek manner) since white draft prospects - especially ones that did particularly well in college - seem to have higher bust potential.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 09:31:40 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
here are some updated draft nots...."nots" being thrown at the two main draft sites, draftexpress.com and nbadraft.net......applying of course only to the most recent mocks.....sure to change a bunch more before draft day....

What are the "nots" based on?  Not much, really.....mainly just intuition, feelings about players established by the sites themselves, and an attempt at high octane common sense....

my original post had a bunch of "nots" for draft express and nothing substantial against nbadraft.net.  In fact, my "not" for nbadraft.net was wrong.......Monroe will be picked ahead of Whiteside (hmmm....shouldn't change my nots like that, could burn me later...).  Anyway, things have reversed.  Now I'm full of nots for nbadraft.net, with no challenges to the current draftexpress mock....so:

hey nbadraft.net:

-Sherron Collins will be gone by the time the Celtics pick at 52, NOT on the board at 55!
-Udoh will go in the lottery, and NOT be around at 16!
-Damion James will not last past 20.  He will NOT be around at 28!
-Dominique Jones will be picked in the 1st round, NOT second!
-Boston would take Larry Sanders and NOT J. Anderson if they're both around! (please!)
-Luke Babbit will go before Hayward, NOT after! (Butler in Indiana notwithstanding!)

okay draftexpress, you're looking good lately....

(I realized a draft thread of nots is more boring to some than the mocks themselves ::)....I hope some draft addicts find an ounce of joy in it...and will contribute their own "nots" if they see any blatant draft site errors lurking on the draft horizon......

definitely my escape before the coming storm......

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:42:20 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Okay if there's a current "not" for draftexpress.com it's that Terrico White's combine numbers will probably launch him into the first round, so that he WON'T be picked as late as 5th in second round........

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 10:17:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If I had to say there was a 'not" it was Daniel Orton getting picked in the top 20.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
If I had to say there was a 'not" it was Daniel Orton getting picked in the top 20.

I hope you are wrong about that one nick because we need as many guys picked ahead of us as possible in order to have more players drop into our lap.

my "not" for the current mock would be Hayward being there at #19. I think Hayward and Babbitt will be off the board by #12.

my somewhat possible wish list right now is Henry, Babbitt, George, Hayward...but all could be off the board by #19.

I'm starting to take a closer look at Pondexter.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
TP OP.  I can't get enough draft talk too.

DX--Orton too high at #13
    Henry too low at #16
    Seraphin (Moiso 2.0) too high at #22

NBADraft--White too high at #21
          Elliot Williams too high at #22
          Armon Johnson too high at #24
          (They love those SGs at NBADraft.net. ???)

I love that DX has Whiteside slipping.  My current big board--and I know the top few picks are longshots--is:

Whiteside
Henry
George
James
Bradley
Anderson

Now that there's a rumor about the Cs liking Alabi (See my fanshot from earlier today), I guess I'll have to find room on my board for him too.

If Babbitt or Heyward can defend the 3 (my default opinion is skepticism), I'd find room for them too.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I hope you are wrong about that one nick because we need as many guys picked ahead of us as possible in order to have more players drop into our lap.

my "not" for the current mock would be Hayward being there at #19. I think Hayward and Babbitt will be off the board by #12.

my somewhat possible wish list right now is Henry, Babbitt, George, Hayward...but all could be off the board by #19.

I'm starting to take a closer look at Pondexter.
I had my doubts on George and then when I saw that he had one of the absolute weakest bench press numbers at the combine, I was convinced to red flag him. To be a Celtic and play this system, strength is needed and this kid is 6'9" and can't bench 185 more than 4 times? He's been inconsistent his whole career, plays in a small conference and is physically weak. That's a problem for me.

At least guys like Babbitt and some others that are being pushed from small conference teams put in impressive combine numbers. I know they aren't everything but it is another important measuring stick.

I think the C's will be better off with a James or Pondexter who have NBA ready bodies, the ability to contribute sooner rather than later and the upside to still one day be NBA All-Stars.