Author Topic: Time To Re-Adjust Our Expectations & Strategies  (Read 4186 times)

Re: Time To Re-Adjust Our Expectations & Strategies
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 08:46:20 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I expect the team to win the East and to give the Warriors a run for their money.

The Celtics clearly have the talent to win the East.  They're still the most talented team on paper.

The problem is they don't have their minds in the right place, and I'm not convinced the coach is capable of getting these guys all on the same page and playing with consistent effort.

Home court is huge in the playoffs, and right now the Celtics have really put themselves in a tough spot by losing as many games as they have to bad teams.  Their lack of effort in games they should have easily won has a very real chance of being their undoing.

With the addition of Toby Harris to the Sixers and Marc Gasol with the Raptors, Celts are not the most talented to paper anymore.

Even the Bucks got better with the addition of Mirotic.

Sure, those teams got better, but the Celtics still have more talent top to bottom.

Not really true.

Bucks, Raptors, and Sixers have 2 All-Stars each.
Celts only have one, Kyrie.

The top to bottom thing is only significant during the regular season.
In the playoffs, the starters usually average 40 minutes per game or close to 40 minutes per game.

Last season Toronto had one of the best benches, if not the best, in the league.
That's the main reason why they were the #1 seed last season.
But they couldn't even win one single game against the Cavs.

It's who has the best 5 players in the playoffs that matter.

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 08:50:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Boy this thread is sounding exactly like the Patriots 2018 Thread was sounding after the Pat's lost consecutive games in December. How did that thread end again?

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 08:58:16 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Boy this thread is sounding exactly like the Patriots 2018 Thread was sounding after the Pat's lost consecutive games in December. How did that thread end again?

The difference between the Pats and the Celtics is the Pats are a proven winner.

How many championships for Brady and Belichick before last week's 6th championship?

This current generation of Celtics have not even reached the finals yet.

Marcus Morris sounding off is proof that this Celtics team is flawed.

It's like there's a war between the young players and the veterans.

First it was Smart and Brown.

Then Morris shoved Brown.

Ainge has a solution.

But we have to wait until the season is over.

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

It didn't. The thread hasn't been locked yet  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Yeah but the Celtics don't have Tom Brady or Bill Belichick-minded characters in their team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 10:33:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You lost me with this one.  How is a one game winner take all playoffs similar to a best of 7 nba playoff series?

I mean I felt that the rams were in trouble before they even played the game, and I am embarrassingly a dolphin fan.  Brady just finds a way to win.

Our beloved celtics aren’t even close to that.  We have been inconsistent the whole year, hot streaks, cold streaks, look invincible, then look like a lotto team. 

For a long time I kept expecting them to improve significantly and really gel.  They have improved, but not as much as I had hoped.  At this point they probably are what they are.  Now why that is probably still up for debate.  Did we underachieve due to coaching, mis managed roles, too high expectations of the young dudes?  Probably a little bit of all of the above.

I think it is unreasonable to think we are a sure thing to make the ECF.  I think we are a good bet to win one series but after that it is just gravy to me.  We just aren’t as good as we hoped we would be this year.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:24:20 PM by blink »

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 10:40:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You lost me with this one.......

See everything in quotes below?

You might as well have been a poster in that Patriots Thread disbelieving that they could be successful because of a whole bunch of things where the team looked bad...

"We have been inconsistent the whole year, hot streaks, cold streaks, look invincible, then look like a lotto team. 

For a long time I kept expecting them to improve significantly and really gel.  They have improved, but not as much as I had hoped.  At this point they probably are what they are.  Now why that is probably still up for debate.  Did we underachieve due to coaching, mis managed roles, too high expectations of the young dudes?  Probably a little bit of all of the above."

For this reason I think the Celtics turn things around and go deep into the post season this year.

Just not gonna give up.

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 11:06:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You lost me with this one.......

See everything in quotes below?

You might as well have been a poster in that Patriots Thread disbelieving that they could be successful because of a whole bunch of things where the team looked bad...

"We have been inconsistent the whole year, hot streaks, cold streaks, look invincible, then look like a lotto team. 

For a long time I kept expecting them to improve significantly and really gel.  They have improved, but not as much as I had hoped.  At this point they probably are what they are.  Now why that is probably still up for debate.  Did we underachieve due to coaching, mis managed roles, too high expectations of the young dudes?  Probably a little bit of all of the above."

For this reason I think the Celtics turn things around and go deep into the post season this year.

Just not gonna give up.

Who said anything about giving up?  wth?  I am going to root for them just as crazy hard as I did last year in the playoffs.  But the fact is that Brady / Belichick as a combo are more of a once in a lifetime thing.  Just because some guys came to the conclusion in another thread that this year was the end of the run for the Pats doesn't have anything to do with the C's.

I love the celtics, I really love our young players, but as a whole our team has under-performed.  I don't think that logically leads me to believe that the C's are headed to the finals.  As a fan, I will hold out hope for sure.

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 02:08:57 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
By not making any moves at the trade deadline, Ainge is basically telling the Celtic fans to wait a little bit longer.

I think it's game over for the rest of the NBA once we get AD.

We just have to wait a few more months.

As long as the Celts don't exit in the 1st round of the playoffs, the Celts will be fine.

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 03:21:57 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If we don't get the #3 seed, then Philly most definitely will/should. I would like to have an amazing end to the year, but if not, then so be it. Even if we are at #5 and on the road against an Oladipo-less Indy team, I still don't think it will be that much of an issue. After that, we are where we would have been anyway - on the road vs Toronto or Milwaukee and neither sounds like too much fun to play.

So, this isn't ideal, but I really wouldn't worry about it too much - at least until we are on the verge of elimination in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Yeah IND without Oladipo will still be tough but I'm confident with or without home court we can still beat them, probably in 6 games. They've actually still done well without him but come playoff time they'll feel it I think.

No, they won’t be tough against the rest of the East’s elite.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we swept them even without HCA.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 03:57:27 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am still pretty high with my expectations.
At the beginning of the year, I thought finals was our realistic goal
Now, If we lose to Toronto I'd be disappointed, but not that surprised.
If we lose a series to Milwaukee or Philly I would be.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 06:43:03 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I doubt we can beat Philly if they have home court advantage and I am not sure we can beat them period. They got significantly better.

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 07:10:38 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62

I doubt we can beat Philly if they have home court advantage and I am not sure we can beat them period. They got significantly better.

Playoff is a totally different animal. The only guy that worries me is Embiid. If Baynes manages to give him a hard time, I think we can defend the rest of them. Things will get tight in the playoffs and Simmons is gonna hurt them again with his lack of shooting. He won't have as many transition opportunities and the half court game is gonna be trouble
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2019, 07:52:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Playoff is a totally different animal. The only guy that worries me is Embiid. If Baynes manages to give him a hard time, I think we can defend the rest of them. Things will get tight in the playoffs and Simmons is gonna hurt them again with his lack of shooting. He won't have as many transition opportunities and the half court game is gonna be trouble
You should be worried about Giannis and Leonard too.  There's no reason to believe the C's will get past the 2nd round.

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

If we beat them tomorrow, it will mean we still have their number.   That is a huge "if".