Author Topic: Time To Re-Adjust Our Expectations & Strategies  (Read 4191 times)

Re: Time To Re-Adjust Our Expectations & Strategies
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Waiting for the koolaid fan to say "it's only 56 games into the season, they'll gel."  ::)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 03:48:18 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I think the whole fandom needs to understand that we’ve been a team that is just average and has over achieved.  That said we have more talent this year and we need to put it together.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Waiting for the koolaid fan to say "it's only 56 games into the season, they'll gel."  ::)

It reminds me of the 2016-2017 season when Isaiah Thomas I think around Game 60-ish called out CBS and the team saying we "can't be experimenting at this point" and such. Actually, now that I think about it, I think he did that AFTER the Clippers game that season too  :o  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Watch Raptors win their first NBA title

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 06:46:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I expect the team to win the East and to give the Warriors a run for their money.

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I expect the team to win the East and to give the Warriors a run for their money.

Let's first try hard for the 2-3 seed and then go from there. #BabySteps  :P

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 07:16:38 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

At the rate the Celts are going right now, 4 or 5 seed is more realistic.

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 07:41:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Well yeah, that's why I said, "try hard for it". That's the goal we're going after for now.

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 07:53:41 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Well yeah, that's why I said, "try hard for it". That's the goal we're going after for now.

Celts are trying.

The problem is they're not a fundamentally sound team.

Rebounding is a problem and they don't have an inside presence.

The loss to the Clippers is a perfect example of the Celts living by the 3 and dying by the 3.
In the first half the Celts were dominant because the 3s were falling.
But when the Celts started missing 3s in the 2nd half, the Celts couldn't find other ways to score.

What the Celts are lacking is being able to play inside-outside basketball.
Give the ball inside the paint to a big man who can score.
If doubled team, the big man passes it to the open shooter.
The problem is the Celts don't have that kind of a big man.
That's why some of us wanted Vucevic at the trade deadline.

The solution is AD.
But we have to wait until the season is over.

Right now we just have to hope for the best because the Bucks, Raptors, and Sixers are certainly better than the Celts.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 08:17:18 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I really question the basketball IQ of this team. I look at the Warriors and they whip the ball around and never hesitate to let a teammate shine.

This team gets a big lead and go right to hero ball. It's stupid basketball. They are starting to look selfish and no one will want to play with any of thing if they can't get this right.

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The Celtics clearly have the talent to win the East.  They're still the most talented team on paper.

The problem is they don't have their minds in the right place, and I'm not convinced the coach is capable of getting these guys all on the same page and playing with consistent effort.

Home court is huge in the playoffs, and right now the Celtics have really put themselves in a tough spot by losing as many games as they have to bad teams.  Their lack of effort in games they should have easily won has a very real chance of being their undoing.

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 08:30:22 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

The Celtics clearly have the talent to win the East.  They're still the most talented team on paper.

The problem is they don't have their minds in the right place, and I'm not convinced the coach is capable of getting these guys all on the same page and playing with consistent effort.

Home court is huge in the playoffs, and right now the Celtics have really put themselves in a tough spot by losing as many games as they have to bad teams.  Their lack of effort in games they should have easily won has a very real chance of being their undoing.

With the addition of Toby Harris to the Sixers and Marc Gasol with the Raptors, Celts are not the most talented east team on paper anymore.

Even the Bucks got better with the addition of Mirotic.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
If we don't get the #3 seed, then Philly most definitely will/should. I would like to have an amazing end to the year, but if not, then so be it. Even if we are at #5 and on the road against an Oladipo-less Indy team, I still don't think it will be that much of an issue. After that, we are where we would have been anyway - on the road vs Toronto or Milwaukee and neither sounds like too much fun to play.

So, this isn't ideal, but I really wouldn't worry about it too much - at least until we are on the verge of elimination in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Exactly. TP. I actually feel we’re basically a lock for 4 or 5. So I’m not going to stress the individual wins and losses anymore. As long as they’ve gelled come playoff time that’s all we can hope for. Seeding doesn’t matter much in that 2nd round would be either Milwaukee or Toronto. Both very tough.

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 08:36:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

With the addition of Toby Harris to the Sixers and Marc Gasol with the Raptors, Celts are not the most talented to paper anymore.

Even the Bucks got better with the addition of Mirotic.

Sure, those teams got better, but the Celtics still have more talent top to bottom.

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 08:41:02 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
If we don't get the #3 seed, then Philly most definitely will/should. I would like to have an amazing end to the year, but if not, then so be it. Even if we are at #5 and on the road against an Oladipo-less Indy team, I still don't think it will be that much of an issue. After that, we are where we would have been anyway - on the road vs Toronto or Milwaukee and neither sounds like too much fun to play.

So, this isn't ideal, but I really wouldn't worry about it too much - at least until we are on the verge of elimination in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Exactly. TP. I actually feel we’re basically a lock for 4 or 5. So I’m not going to stress the individual wins and losses anymore. As long as they’ve gelled come playoff time that’s all we can hope for. Seeding doesn’t matter much in that 2nd round would be either Milwaukee or Toronto. Both very tough.

Seeding matters because #4 or #5 seeds don't reach the finals.

Also, if the Celts exit the playoffs early, there's a chance Kyrie might leave and the AD trade might not happen.
Celts will be right back to where they were in the summer of 2016.