Author Topic: There’s Still Hope: The TPE in 2021 Trade Deadline/Offseason  (Read 16504 times)

Re: There’s Still Hope: The TPE in 2021 Trade Deadline/Offseason
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2021, 01:49:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think the Aldridge ship has sailed. The guy has not been very good this year. 45% from the field, 30% from 3. Bad defensively. DeRozan doesn't do anything for us except take shots from guys I'd rather be taking them.

First priority should be a big wing 6'6 to 6'9 who can defend 3's and 4's and hit threes.

Barnes is an ideal target: 28 years old, 6'8 splits of 15.9/6.4/3.4 on 49/39 shooting and two more years after this one on his contract. He makes 22.2 this year which means getting him requires sending out something like 2.5 million to get under the hard cap, let alone the luxury tax.

Gordon is also an option: only 25 years, 6'8  with splits of 14.9/7.3/4.2 on 45/35 shooting with one more year after this one. he makes 18.14 this year which means you could potentially get him AND remain below the tax with a maneuver or 2.

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2021, 02:24:10 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think the Aldridge ship has sailed. The guy has not been very good this year. 45% from the field, 30% from 3. Bad defensively. DeRozan doesn't do anything for us except take shots from guys I'd rather be taking them.

First priority should be a big wing 6'6 to 6'9 who can defend 3's and 4's and hit threes.

Barnes is an ideal target: 28 years old, 6'8 splits of 15.9/6.4/3.4 on 49/39 shooting and two more years after this one on his contract. He makes 22.2 this year which means getting him requires sending out something like 2.5 million to get under the hard cap, let alone the luxury tax.

Gordon is also an option: only 25 years, 6'8  with splits of 14.9/7.3/4.2 on 45/35 shooting with one more year after this one. he makes 18.14 this year which means you could potentially get him AND remain below the tax with a maneuver or 2.
I think these guys have been discussed in detail in other trades. The takeaway is that they would be useful to our team but they won’t come cheap. They will cost at least 2 unprotected picks plus a young player . Danny has never paid such prices for role players no matter how good they are.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 02:54:37 PM by NKY fan »

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2021, 03:19:03 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

I think these guys have been discussed in detail in other trades. The takeaway is that they would be useful to our team but they won’t come cheap. They will cost at least 2 unprotected picks plus a young player . Danny has never paid such prices for role players no matter how good they are.

I mean I really doubt that. Take Aaron Gordon for example. Robert Covington is a pretty close approximation. Gordon is younger and a better defender, but Covington is on a cheaper deal an a better shooter. He went for 1 mid first (pick #16), and one future first. But HOU also had to take back Ariza's 14 million dollar contract which was a negative value deal. So on the whole Covington turned out to be worth a little LESS than two firsts. Plus ORL would create a TPE exception by trading Gordon into Boston's TPE, and save themselves 18 million in a year with no fan attendance.

I kind of think Boston has a golden opportunity here. Look at teams out there that are buyers. MIL has no draft picks. BRK has no draft picks. MIA can't trade picks either. PHI isn't a fit for barnes/gordon (they nee a lead guard not a wing). LAL has no draft picks. LAC has no draft picks. The C's are in a unique situation where they are one of a few contenders who actually have the ability to trade picks, have some young players who might be worth a flyer, and can flat out save other teams money by absorbing guys.

So ya, I don't think the price will bas AS HIGH as some think. Obviously better players cost you stuff, but I'd rather the team spend assets and bring in a good player who will actually help then tinker around the edges with guys who probably won't. Too me if the price is a young guy (Langford/Nesmith/RWill/Pritchard/GWill) + a first which is about what I think it will be then do it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:25:35 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2021, 03:48:18 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I mean I really doubt that. Take Aaron Gordon for example. Robert Covington is a pretty close approximation. Gordon is younger and a better defender, but Covington is on a cheaper deal an a better shooter. He went for 1 mid first (pick #16), and one future first. But HOU also had to take back Ariza's 14 million dollar contract which was a negative value deal. So on the whole Covington turned out to be worth a little LESS than two firsts. Plus ORL would create a TPE exception by trading Gordon into Boston's TPE, and save themselves 18 million in a year with no fan attendance.

I kind of think Boston has a golden opportunity here. Look at teams out there that are buyers. MIL has no draft picks. BRK has no draft picks. MIA can't trade picks either. PHI isn't a fit for barnes/gordon (they nee a lead guard not a wing). LAL has no draft picks. LAC has no draft picks. The C's are in a unique situation where they are one of a few contenders who actually have the ability to trade picks, have some young players who might be worth a flyer, and can flat out save other teams money by absorbing guys.

So ya, I don't think the price will bas AS HIGH as some think. Obviously better players cost you stuff, but I'd rather the team spend assets and bring in a good player who will actually help then tinker around the edges with guys who probably won't. Too me if the price is a young guy (Langford/Nesmith/RWill/Pritchard/GWill) + a first which is about what I think it will be then do it.
You have a good point on what other contenders have in terms of assets but Orlando is pushing for the playoffs and Gordon is their playmaker now so they won’t budge on the price you’re proposing. On the other hand the kings might agree to that deal but it’s still based on our assumption that kings value Barnes realistically so who knows...

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So to me it looks like the tpe might be best used as part of a salary dump deal in which we get the player we want or we get a future pick or a swap.
Given the following:
-We need a scorer of the the bench
-Philly is $11.5M above the tax line
-Morey has a history of making deals at the deadline to get under the tax
-Philly has 4 unplayable (one is injured) guys making $15M combined - Scot, Poirier, Bradley and Ferguson
-Orlando has to get something for Fournier who they can’t retain after the season because of salary constraints

I propose:
-the quartet above go from Philly to Orlando plus 2 second rounders from Philly
-Fournier comes to the celtics
-Carsen goes to Philly

Philly opens 2/3 roster spots to fill with vet min guys who will be available after the deadline.
We dump Carsen contract that’s guaranteed next season
Orlando saves a bit of $$ and gets 2 picks for a player they can’t retain

I think this will be the framework of what might happen with the TPE . Without our TPE the deal as proposed can not be consumed because of roster spot constraints but with the tpe going to Orlando it can be executed as a series of trades.
It works for all 3 teams ....

It's an interesting idea and one that makes sense that I haven't heard before.

I believe that we will likely be looking to acquire a player that is somewhat 'unwanted', rather than giving up multiple 1sts/young prospects in order to get the exact guy we want. Danny already gave up two 2nds to acquire the TPE; that shouldn't be a constraint on a future trade, but if Danny can be an opportunist - rather than a pure buyer - he stands to come out on top in any deal...as long as that player is useful of course.

I should note, I don't think this is necessarily the ideal scenario personally - I would love to acquire a near-all star talent that fits in well with our core - I just don't know that Danny will go all-in with picks/players unless it is a slam dunk kind of deal.

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2021, 04:17:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Don't we also have a small TPE from the Kanter trade? Who can we target with that one?

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2021, 04:28:49 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Don't we also have a small TPE from the Kanter trade? Who can we target with that one?
A Useful player that makes less than $5M will come at a premium. Also depending on what we are sending back the tpe may not be needed.
 It can come handy on draft day this year to help facilitate deals . It can also come handy if we are dumping a big contract like Kembas or Smarts

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2021, 04:30:41 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
So to me it looks like the tpe might be best used as part of a salary dump deal in which we get the player we want or we get a future pick or a swap.
Given the following:
-Philly has 4 unplayable (one is injured) guys making $15M combined - Scot, Poirier, Bradley and Ferguson
-Orlando has to get something for Fournier who they can’t retain after the season because of salary constraints

I propose:
-Carsen goes to Philly

Philly opens 2/3 roster spots to fill with vet min guys who will be available after the deadline.

I think this will be the framework of what might happen with the TPE . Without our TPE the deal as proposed can not be consumed because of roster spot constraints but with the tpe going to Orlando it can be executed as a series of trades.

I believe that we will likely be looking to acquire a player that is somewhat 'unwanted', rather than giving up multiple 1sts/young prospects in order to get the exact guy we want. Danny already gave up two 2nds to acquire the TPE; that shouldn't be a constraint on a future trade, but if Danny can be an opportunist - rather than a pure buyer - he stands to come out on top in any deal...as long as that player is useful of course.

I should note, I don't think this is necessarily the ideal scenario personally - I would love to acquire a near-all star talent that fits in well with our core - I just don't know that Danny will go all-in with picks/players unless it is a slam dunk kind of deal.
This scenario is not ideal but to me it seems quite realistic. It also prevents us from potentially making a deal for the sake of not letting the tpe go to waste ... I would rather let it expire than make a lateral or a bad move and we lose future assets.
P.s. we can also S&T Fournier to his next team and get something back 🤷🏻‍♂️

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2021, 05:34:21 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Given the following:

I propose:
-Carsen goes to Philly

This scenario is not ideal but to me it seems quite realistic. It also prevents us from potentially making a deal for the sake of not letting the tpe go to waste ... I would rather let it expire than make a lateral or a bad move and we lose future assets.
Why in the world would Philly do that trade?  They get garbage while making us better.  They can trade those pieces for someone who could help actually them in the playoffs.  Morey made deals to get under the tax deadline because the Houston owner is cheap despite his rhetoric. 

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2021, 06:01:47 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Given the following:

I propose:
-Carsen goes to Philly

Why in the world would Philly do that trade?  They get garbage while making us better.  They can trade those pieces for someone who could help actually them in the playoffs.  Morey made deals to get under the tax deadline because the Houston owner is cheap despite his rhetoric.
76rs owner is just as bad. Also it makes sense for them to push the repeaters tax a year further. I just felt it works. It’s not like we are going to become a true contender with Fournier

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2021, 06:03:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Given the following:

I propose:
-Carsen goes to Philly

Why is Philly included? Why would Orlando prioritize cutting three of their end of bench players simply to take on 4 of Philly's end of bench players?

You do realize in order to complete the deal Orlando would need to cut and eat the salary of three players or find other teams willing to take on those three players, probably at the price of at least a second round pick per player, right?

Wouldn't it be easier to do a direct trade with Orlando? The Magic might prefer saving millions this year in salary, getting a project player like Edwards and a couple second round picks and also getting a $17 million+ trade exception.

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2021, 06:37:02 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

You have a good point on what other contenders have in terms of assets but Orlando is pushing for the playoffs and Gordon is their playmaker now so they won’t budge on the price you’re proposing. On the other hand the kings might agree to that deal but it’s still based on our assumption that kings value Barnes realistically so who knows...

Ehhhh i think they might. Their two best young players are out all year in Isaac and Fultz and they already had no guard play. Also, there's no financial incentive to make the playoffs this year since they wont get game revenue. And the draft is loaded so the incentive to tank is there. They're currently in 10th place in the conference with TOR, MIA and CHA all right behind them and probably more talented than them so they might just fall out of the playoff race. Thats a lot of good reasons to trade Gordon.

And on Barnes I have no idea. He's overpaid I think, but still very good. Barnes is complicated by the fact that he makes 22 million which means acquiring him likely sends you into the luxury tax unless either Thompson or Theis + something else is on its way out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:45:20 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2021, 06:46:32 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Ehhhh i think they might. Their two best young players are out all year in Isaac and Fultz and they already had no guard play. Also, there's no financial incentive to make the playoffs this year since they wont get game revenue. And the draft is loaded so the incentive to tank is there. Thats a lot of good reasons to trade Gordon.

The Orlando Magic should have a fire sale. Put Vucevic, Gordon, Fournier and Ross all on the trading block.
Get as many assets as possible and tank hard. Even Isaac and Fultz need a lot of seasoning, so they can really take their time to build something in Florida. Anthony/Fultz/Okeke/Isaac/Bamba is a start.

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2021, 06:51:37 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I'll take Ross.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2021, 07:02:11 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Given the following:

I propose:
-Carsen goes to Philly

Why is Philly included? Why would Orlando prioritize cutting three of their end of bench players simply to take on 4 of Philly's end of bench players?

You do realize in order to complete the deal Orlando would need to cut and eat the salary of three players or find other teams willing to take on those three players, probably at the price of at least a second round pick per player, right?

Wouldn't it be easier to do a direct trade with Orlando? The Magic might prefer saving millions this year in salary, getting a project player like Edwards and a couple second round picks and also getting a $17 million+ trade exception.
Philly are included so we don’t pay anything for Fournier. The way I think it will work with 4 players going to Orlando is that :
1st trade we get Fournier and send them Carsen and $15.6M of tpe .
2nd Orlando sends Carsen to Philly for Poirier and immediately waive him
3rd Philly send Scott to Orlando and Orlando immediately wave him
4th same exercise with Bradley
5th and final is the player that Orlando want to retain Ferguson
Philly and Orlando also exchange second rounders and possibly cash each time until the end result is 2 second round picks going to Orlando plus maybe some $$. Also the 4 players going from Philly to Orlando eat up almost all of the TPE from trade #1
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think this works because it’s a series of 5 trades not one trade where you have roster number constraints.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 07:12:02 PM by NKY fan »