Author Topic: Place your offer for Victor Oladipo  (Read 7820 times)

Re: Place your offer for Victor Oladipo
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2021, 01:24:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is more then Miami out there that could sign him.   How many teams were loading up on cap space for this offseason to only see the top choices come off the board?

Money will have to be spent.

True, but we would offer him a winning situation, a desirable franchise, and could in theory offer him more money than any other team.  That would all depend on how well he fits in of course. If he was a disaster, then we are out the TPE (which presumably could be recovered in a S&T to Dipo’s new team and a late first rounder.

Didn't we say that with Hayward and Horford? 

I am not fully against the move, just against paying a lot at this point.

True. We just need to trust Danny to know when to say no regarding financial situations. I didn’t fault him with either Al or Hayward, both of whom seemed to get overpaid.

I do agree though, we should only pursue him if the price is right. I personally would not give up Langford or Nesmith.  But, pending FA Theis, a #1 and two #2s for a two-way all-star?  For sure.

I don't fault the Celtics for that either.   I just want that in the back of their heads if looking at this type of deal.   

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2021, 01:36:28 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
It is more then Miami out there that could sign him.   How many teams were loading up on cap space for this offseason to only see the top choices come off the board?

True, but we would offer him a winning situation, a desirable franchise, and could in theory offer him more money than any other team.  That would all depend on how well he fits in of course. If he was a disaster, then we are out the TPE (which presumably could be recovered in a S&T to Dipo’s new team and a late first rounder.

True. We just need to trust Danny to know when to say no regarding financial situations. I didn’t fault him with either Al or Hayward, both of whom seemed to get overpaid.

I do agree though, we should only pursue him if the price is right. I personally would not give up Langford or Nesmith.  But, pending FA Theis, a #1 and two #2s for a two-way all-star?  For sure.
So you value Langford and or Nesmith more than a future 1st plus second rounders?
Right now their value is much lower I think... we also have to preserve picks and possibly roll them forward to be able to offer 4+ picks plus swaps for the star that is the missing piece.

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2021, 01:54:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So you value Langford and or Nesmith more than a future 1st plus second rounders?
Right now their value is much lower I think... we also have to preserve picks and possibly roll them forward to be able to offer 4+ picks plus swaps for the star that is the missing piece.

Correct.  If I was offered the number 26 pick in the draft and two second rounders for Nesmith and Langford, I’d hang up the phone.

I think Nesmith is going to be good, and Langford will be useful. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2021, 06:03:47 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I’m surprised by how lukewarm people are on the possibility, if the price was cheap.

To me, he is a perfect fit on our team.

Thompson or Timelord
Tatum
Brown
Oladipo / Smart
Kemba

We are talking about a guy who, before his injury, was both All-NBA and All-Defense.  This year, he is putting up 20/6/4.

The upside here is a legitimate shot at a title. He’s the type of guy that you go into the luxury tax for (next season), and he’s the type of guy you surrender role players for without question.

Can't disagree with most of that, but the problem is, IMO, the Celtics won't go as deep into luxury tax as Olapido would put them. Also, if he's really said that he wants to wind up in Miami, we can't afford to gamble very much on a guy who won't stay.

But I agree, we could hardly ask for a better fit. Good defender, wing who can score, seems like a team-first guy. Only real chink in his armor is he isn't a great 3 pt shooter.

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2021, 06:19:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Romeo and Nesmith is my max.
My main reasoning is that this way we preserve future picks for other mega deals.
Also those two won’t have much of a chance to shine on our team behind the Js and maybe smart and that mythical third star. They might do much better on a low pressure Houston team next to wall and wood.
Lastly Oladipo might be a half a season rental anyway. But if he delivers solid playoff performance and we get to the finals why not pay him the max? We can also S&T him to Miami and get something back.
So yea Romeo and Nesmith is a little bit of an overpay but you have to give something to get something

Two late lottery picks the past two seasons for rental?  Terrible idea.

Protected first round pick that is likely to be late first round?  Sure. Why not?

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2021, 06:28:06 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Is Ainge going to shoot for the moon this season?

How about next?

Depending on timing, I say he goes for it 2023.

The J's
Whoever is left of the young guys and the one NBA star that makes Brown and Tatum "complete."

Frankly next season, our duo will be going far in the playoffs...maybe Ainge will "go for it" next season.

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2021, 06:14:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bobby Marks: Victor Oladipo in Houston 💰Extension eligible but only for 2 years/$45.2M. Starting on June 21, Oladipo could sign for 4 years/$112.9M 🏀Eligible to be traded but cannot be aggregated until March 7.

I’d give him both of those offers.  Why only 4 years, $112.9?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2021, 06:39:47 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I dont think there's much chance your bringing in Oladipo at 30 million ON TOP of Kemba, Tatum, Brown and Smart. There's about 115 million in those guys + Thompson tied up next year, thats five guys. Add Oladipo at 30 million and that plus 9 spots at the league min puts you at 160 million+ or about 30 million over the luxury tax. I could see Boston going 20 over MAYBE, not 30. I guess if you can get him so cheap year that you don't have to resign him then maybe, but I dont see that happening.

Oladipo is owed 21 million this year, you have to move like 7 million to stay out of the tax if you trade for him this year which I think they probably want to do since it resets the repeater tax and could save 10's of millions long term.

I think its more likely they go for somebody in the 8-15 million dollar range this year and stay below the tax. Then they either resign that person, or if that person walks they use the remainder of the TPE to add another 10-20 million in the offseason. I dont think you're gonna see a full 28.5 million added to the payroll next year.

But i could be wrong about the teams financial limits.

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2021, 06:44:38 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Bobby Marks: Victor Oladipo in Houston 💰Extension eligible but only for 2 years/$45.2M. Starting on June 21, Oladipo could sign for 4 years/$112.9M 🏀Eligible to be traded but cannot be aggregated until March 7.

I think because they can give him a raise of 20% on his $21m salary and then the 4.5% increases for 4 years

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2021, 06:49:41 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I think because they can give him a raise of 20% on his $21m salary and then the 4.5% increases for 4 years

Ya I think he's a guy who is clearly gonna at least test free agency. There's so much money out there an with many extensions locked up not a lot of high level talent. He probably gets the max if he stays healthy this year.