Author Topic: Bulls players debated whether to show up at practice today.  (Read 7739 times)

Re: Bulls players debated whether to show up at practice today.
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 06:13:46 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
When you lose by 60 points I think that players should take it personally, and not throw the coach under the bus immediately. I don't know if Boylen is a good coach or not up to this point, but you have to look yourself in the mirror and perform better if you are a player.

If I am the Bulls I would try to ship Jabari (who I presume was in the "won't come to practice" camp). He is weak on defense, his contract ends this year and they could get a 2nd rounder for him IMO.

They did play better. Their starters were +5 in the second quarter. If you're the coach of the team you do not give up on the game, which their coach did judging by his comments. The bulls fan are p---ed off at what he did, not only he gave up on the game in the 3rd, he allowed a franchise record. I would not be surprised if fans ask for their money back.
How do you mean he allowed it and the players didn't allow it?
Do they get a free pass for this performance?
I guess we see it differently.
Seems to me like this is just another team issue that boiled the whole thing over the top.
He allowed it by not playing the better players in the 2nd half because he determined a 21 point lead was insurmountable (even though Boston extended the lead by 23 in the 4th quarter).  the 2nd quarter was actually pretty close.  It is one thing to throw in the towel down 21 with 3 minutes left, entirely another with 24 minutes left in the game.

Bingo. The second string give them a little spark in the first quarter, but over time they were just out matched.

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 10:04:37 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Come what may this season, crushing a team so hard that they nearly went on strike is a pretty nice feather in our cap.

And agree with everyone who puts this on the players. Boylan might be a bad coach, the front office and team culture might be a mess, but none of that caused the team to throw in the towel so badly that they got outscored 40-17 in a 4th quarter that was 100% garbage time. Even if every single grievance they have about the team is true the shame of that margin falls squarely on the guys on the court.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Come what may this season, crushing a team so hard that they nearly went on strike is a pretty nice feather in our cap.

And agree with everyone who puts this on the players. Boylan might be a bad coach, the front office and team culture might be a mess, but none of that caused the team to throw in the towel so badly that they got outscored 40-17 in a 4th quarter that was 100% garbage time. Even if every single grievance they have about the team is true the shame of that margin falls squarely on the guys on the court.
The point is, the better players weren't even on the court though.  Of course the bench on a 6 win team isn't as good as the bench on a contender.  That bench didn't have a chance.  The Bulls starters all played 20 minutes or less and were all -10 to -18, so they were losing, but they weren't getting completely demolished either and they actually showed some life in the 2nd quarter and kept the game from getting out of hand after the 18 point 1st quarter lead. 

This is 100% a coach related issue with respect to that game.  The coach gave up at halftime because he wanted to keep guys fresh for practice.  He should be fired immediately for statements like that.  Immediately.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

The point is, the better players weren't even on the court though.  Of course the bench on a 6 win team isn't as good as the bench on a contender.  That bench didn't have a chance.  The Bulls starters all played 20 minutes or less and were all -10 to -18, so they were losing, but they weren't getting completely demolished either and they actually showed some life in the 2nd quarter and kept the game from getting out of hand after the 18 point 1st quarter lead. 

This is 100% a coach related issue with respect to that game.  The coach gave up at halftime because he wanted to keep guys fresh for practice.  He should be fired immediately for statements like that.  Immediately.

NBA players of any stripe shouldn't get demolished that badly in a quarter of pure garbage time. Generally if they're playing hard and the other team's coasting they should tread water or make a meaningless little dent in the margin. Watch the video, it's not like they're trying hard and just incompetent. They gave up. Maybe they gave up because they were demoralized by how the game was handled, but they gave up nonetheless.

If anything bench guys should be playing harder in that situation because it's an opportunity to make a case for a bigger role to a coach who's obviously trying to shake up the team. They didn't. Again the coach could be awful and make awful decisions - he probably is and does - but their lack of effort and the embarrassment of a 56-point margin vs a 30ish one is squarely on them.

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

NBA players of any stripe shouldn't get demolished that badly in a quarter of pure garbage time. Generally if they're playing hard and the other team's coasting they should tread water or make a meaningless little dent in the margin. Watch the video, it's not like they're trying hard and just incompetent. They gave up. Maybe they gave up because they were demoralized by how the game was handled, but they gave up nonetheless.

If anything bench guys should be playing harder in that situation because it's an opportunity to make a case for a bigger role to a coach who's obviously trying to shake up the team. They didn't. Again the coach could be awful and make awful decisions - he probably is and does - but their lack of effort and the embarrassment of a 56-point margin vs a 30ish one is squarely on them.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised at how easily the Cs scrubs were scoring late in the fourth. Semi was raining threes and Wanamaker was taking it to the rack ... the Bulls players totally mailed it in at the end.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 11:24:42 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Blame the coach?  BullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..  The players are disgraceful and all 5 should've been benched because they sucked and laid down like the little Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. they are.

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Poor S.W.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 11:50:15 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I bet Boylen in gone in about a week. The players clearly have no respect or confidence in him and are mailing it in until the next coach arrives

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i think the next game will show many things about the situation there. a poor team having one game of total suckocity against a very good team that is on a roll (our beloved celtics) is always possible. it happens.

but, if the bulls come out and tank a second game, then more serious issues may be the cause.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 12:40:12 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Did they do better or was it the inevitable letdown by our guys? We coasted pretty early. Even a team with a low tier of talented players can put the ball in the hole when the resistance slips. I'm sure their coach can gauge their effort better than we can. It's pretty clear he thought they weren't trying because 20pt leads are nothing in the NBA.

Now, I wouldn't coach that way but I understand that he felt they were half-assing it. Probably has a bunch of divas to deal with and tried to do something different to get to them since nothing else has worked.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 12:51:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Did they do better or was it the inevitable letdown by our guys? We coasted pretty early. Even a team with a low tier of talented players can put the ball in the hole when the resistance slips. I'm sure their coach can gauge their effort better than we can. It's pretty clear he thought they weren't trying because 20pt leads are nothing in the NBA.

Now, I wouldn't coach that way but I understand that he felt they were half-assing it. Probably has a bunch of divas to deal with and tried to do something different to get to them since nothing else has worked.

They don’t look like a bunch of divas though. It’s more like a group of young guys who are poor defenders like Parker, Lavine and Markannen, and then a bunch of vets fighting to stay in the league.

They also beat the Thunder the night before, it’s not like they were so disfunctional that they couldn’t compete. Their coach not trusting in them after they came out flat on the second night of a back to back against an elite defense was terrible coaching. I mean, one of their starters is a rookie and the other a second year player. They need guidance and patience, not public embarrassment for starting off slow against a hungry Celtics defense that included Morris and Smart

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
They also beat the Thunder the night before, it’s not like they were so disfunctional that they couldn’t compete. Their coach not trusting in them after they came out flat on the second night of a back to back against an elite defense was terrible coaching. I mean, one of their starters is a rookie and the other a second year player. They need guidance and patience, not public embarrassment for starting off slow against a hungry Celtics defense that included Morris and Smart

I agree with this much, it was bad coaching to bail on the starters so quickly 24 hours after they'd just beaten a really good team. Especially in that second half. Still doesn't excuse the effort from the guys that replaced them.

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The loss is on the players, but the coach handled this situation about as poorly as possible. The Bulls had literally just beaten a quality OKC Thunder team the night before. It's not a surprise that they came out a bit flat, that typically happens to young teams.

But Boylen made a major error in judgment by throwing in the towel so early in the game. It sent a terrible message to his players that it is okay to give up, and the players unsurprising were not happy about it. The fact that their deep bench allowed the deficit to get as large as it did just shows how lacking the Bulls are in depth (especially with Portis/Dunn still out).

I think we all just saw why Boylen has been an assistant coach his whole career. He's clearly not prepared to manage players at the level a head coach needs to.

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
kinda money they are paid ,  heck yeah im in.

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 02:04:05 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
 :police:

of course the Bulls just experienced the NBA equivalent of Hiroshima beat down by Celtics