Author Topic: Pick one to build a team around: Anthony Davis or Karl Towns  (Read 10174 times)

Pick one to build a team around: Anthony Davis or Karl Towns
« on: December 10, 2015, 04:42:32 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It might seem ridiculous, because Anthony Davis seems like the next NBA superstar... and he is...

Averaging 24 points, 11 rebounds, 1.5 assits, 2.7 blocks, 1.4 steals with 48%/35%/74% shooting in 36 minutes.  He's 6'10 253.  He's only 22 years old.  Dude is the real deal.  Of course, the Pelicans haven't accomplished anything yet, but that guy is a bonafide franchise player...

But is he going to be better than Karl Towns?  7 foot 244lb Towns is like like a prototypical big man for the year 2015.  He can seemingly do everything.  Inside scoring, defend, ball handing, shooting for distance, etc.  He's a freak.

He's only played 21 games, but he's averaging 15.3 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1 assist, 2.2 blocks, 0.7 steals with 53%/44%/81% shooting.   That compares favorably (so far) to Davis' rookie averages of 13.5 poins, 8.2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1.8 blocks, 1.2 steals with 52%/0%/75%.

Actually, it's kind of freaky but if you take Town's rookie stats and project it to 36 minutes, he's putting up numbers pretty similar to Davis already:  19.1 points, 12 rebounds, 2.8 blocks.  I can't imagine what that kid is going to look like in a few years.  He's legit.

Just curious... if you had to pick one to build a team around (forget about the fact that Towns is on a rookie scale salary), which would you take?  Is it insane to even consider Towns over Davis at this point?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:20:34 AM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Pick one to build a team around: Anthony Davis or Karl Towns
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:10:41 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
 His jr year in hs I wanted him on the celts and it kills me we didn't get a big guy in this draft. We all talked about how this draft was going to be the one in which we took care of our center issues. But we made the playoffs and many people think that was better than tanking/waiving Bass, Jonas, Gigi, Crowder, and trading AB for a first.

I think the best we can do now is trade for Myles Turner and if he continues to improve his hips then he could be better than Towns maybe.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:03 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Good topic.  It would have seemed ridiculous a month or two ago, but I would be tempted to take Towns if I had to make a choice today.  Davis is awesome, but I wonder if Towns will be a lot more durable.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:57:05 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
interesting question, though I don't think I'm qualified to answer it coz I haven't seen KAT play for the Wolves. But yeah, statistically, he seems like a franchise player.
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:33:24 AM »

Offline kne

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think you simply cannot underestimate the impact of having KG in KAT's ear (and Wiggins, for that matter). That was such a good move by Flip.

So to answer your question: I would go for Towns if given the choice.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Good topic.  It would have seemed ridiculous a month or two ago, but I would be tempted to take Towns if I had to make a choice today.  Davis is awesome, but I wonder if Towns will be a lot more durable.
Thats funny because Towns was seen by Scouts as a guy who could break down(knee issues in hs) and that was one reason he was not ranked in the top 10 by draftexpress right before the college season.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:06 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
If we're not considering durability and [current] salary, I'd go with Davis. He's still improving as well.

But Towns will be about Davis' level eventually I think. I just hate every New Orleans squad that Anthony Davis has been surrounded with. I think [hope] we'll eventually see his strengths magnified by quality teammates. I think that's something Towns already has in place. A lot of good young players to grow with. New Orleans tried to win to soon, in my opinion. I would have liked them to be more patient. Now they are losing anyway.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's crazy how good towns is so far.   Maybe he putters out and hits a rookie wall, but there doesn't seem to be any signs of it yet.  He might be the best rookie we've seen in years... Just in terms of how good he is as a rookie.  They have been a little weird with his minutes so far.  If he starts getting 30+ nightly, it will be fun to see what he ends up averaging.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Good topic...I'm thinking Towns...but I'm not crying if I end up with Davis.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Anthony Davis = more explosive quickness and overall mobility + athleticism.

Both are top notch talents though. MVP caliber talents.

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'll take KAT. I've only seen 3 or 4 Wolves games, but when Mitchell actually let's KAT play he's unbelievable.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 01:03:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Davis

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 01:06:06 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Really?

A top 5 player, top 1-2 at his position, who has already played four years vs. a rookie who is doing well.

RJ Hunter or Bradley Beal?
Mickey or Taj Gibson?

MAYBE if we say in 2-3 years or Davis now vs KAT at age 23-24.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 01:15:38 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Really?

A top 5 player, top 1-2 at his position, who has already played four years vs. a rookie who is doing well.

RJ Hunter or Bradley Beal?
Mickey or Taj Gibson?

MAYBE if we say in 2-3 years or Davis now vs KAT at age 23-24.

That is the question. It's who do you want to build around, who do you project as a better player. That's why some of us are picking KAT.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Is it insane to even consider Towns over Davis at this point?

Yes.  We don't even know if Towns is the best big man in his draft class yet.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes