Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56363 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2020, 04:07:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I'm excited by this draft for picking up some high quality bench players. Maybe we get lucky and get a starter with three chances. Reminds me of the 2004 draft were we got Tony Allen, Big Al and West. There are some really good defensive guards in this draft. We could really use a good defensive guard to check super quick point guards.

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Standings as of 3/12/20 -  Last one for the foreseeable future

Memphis pick #17—  (last playoff spot in the West) (protected top 6 )
                   Games Behind    Current Wins   Games Left   Last 10
San Antonio             4                     27                   19              5-5
New Orleans            3.5                   28                   18              5-5
Sacramento             3.5                   28                   18              7-3
Portland                  3.5                   29                   16              4-6
Orlando                   2                     30                   17               6-4
Brooklyn                 1.5                   30                   18               5-5
Memphis               ---                    32                   17               4-6

—>  Memphis still keeping its distance for that last Western playoff spot but it’s not inconceivable someone could catch them based on their schedule in relation to the teams chasing them.  of good news is that if Memphis does hang on to that last playoff spot, Brooklyn and Orlando have closed that gap so it’s very possible they could pass Memphis to have the pick fall to 15.

Boston Pick #26
                   Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Denver                  0.5                    43                      17               5-5
Boston                 ---                     43                      18               5-5
LA Clippers            +1                     44                      18               7-3
Toronto                 +3                     46                      18               6-4

-->C's struggles have hurt their playoff standings where they’re no longer close the #2 seed and separated from the Western teams in the overall standings.  another cold stretch (if they resume the season) could have an improvement on their pick but worse playoff position for HCA.

Bucks Pick #30   -- (protected  top 7) 
                        Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Milwaukee                  —                      53                    17                6-4

-->  no change.  They were finally starting to come back to earth after losing 3 in a row. 

Second Rounders:
Boston 56 (protected 31-53)  — C’s now losing the pick

Brooklyn 46 (least favorable of Brooklyn/Knicks — currently Brooklyn)

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
May be one of worst draft class ever and we got 3 late picks..my guess at least 1 will be a stash player overseas.. 3 this season and with 3 last season (Romeo, Grant & Carsen)..not too many roster spots left so got to do some maneuvering
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I'm going to miss these pick watches and threads regarding them! RIP

I'm excited by this draft for picking up some high quality bench players. Maybe we get lucky and get a starter with three chances. Reminds me of the 2004 draft were we got Tony Allen, Big Al and West. There are some really good defensive guards in this draft. We could really use a good defensive guard to check super quick point guards.

Same. Fine with taking three chances or even trading #17 and #26 to move up a few slots.

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2020, 01:14:33 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think you could argue that with less data due to the cancellation of conference tourneys and the likely cancellation of March Madness, teams will be less prepared to draft the best players, and therefore top players might fall to the middle of the first round.

I mean, that happens in normal years, especially when players don't have a lot of tape (see Giannis). I wonder if that could happen more this year.

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2020, 01:44:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think you could argue that with less data due to the cancellation of conference tourneys and the likely cancellation of March Madness, teams will be less prepared to draft the best players, and therefore top players might fall to the middle of the first round.

I mean, that happens in normal years, especially when players don't have a lot of tape (see Giannis). I wonder if that could happen more this year.

Great point. Hope we have gathered a lot of intel to this point.

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2020, 02:01:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Same. Fine with taking three chances or even trading #17 and #26 to move up a few slots.

Me three.
Probably replacing Wannamaker, Green and Poirier....

Waters starts season as Kemba backup...then traded once he shows how good he is (I don't think the versatility conscious C's want to keep two small PG's on the team (3 counting Edwards). 

In the draft, since we can't have my binkies at pick 17, I'd say don't trade up.  Just make all three picks. 

Since we can't have Okongwu or Toppin, try to get Isiah Stewart or Nnaji.
Since we can't have Haliburton or Hayes, get Maledon or Ayayi.
Then, please take my new binkie, Patrick Williams.
Also like Cassius Stanley and consider him a bit of a sleeper...

Thanks Danny.

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2020, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Me three.
Probably replacing Wannamaker, Green and Poirier....

Waters starts season as Kemba backup...then traded once he shows how good he is (I don't think the versatility conscious C's want to keep two small PG's on the team (3 counting Edwards). 
figure Wanamaker will get a better deal elsewhere.  Green will likely be moving on.  Poirier is a guaranteed deal for next year but I anticipate him being dealt with a first rounder to free up the roster spot for a better, cheap vet.  would not be surprised to see Kanter leave either based on recent play. 

thought Semi would be let go as well but his play of late has been of value so they may retain him. 

Waters isn't looking like the 3rd string PG we hoped for so he may not be around next year either.  Edwards may not make the team either - might be included in a deal to move Poirier with a first to get 2 spots open for vets.

I anticipate Danny only making one pick in the next draft due to trading the other to either move players off the roster or to get future picks.  I think next year is the one where Danny starts using his trade chips to bolster the roster for a title run.  he's got a solid core in place.  just need to shore up the bench a bit.  Timelord, Gwill and Langford will hopefully be good rotation players but we could use 2-3 decent vets to bring off the bench for consistent play.

« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2020, 12:50:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Would like ainge to draft at least one of these FSU kids. That FSU team played with unstoppable grit and looked ready to win the national championship. I wonder if they would get picked much higher had that happened. Nbadraft has us projected to take vassell with pick 30: https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28957 :-X719/fsu-freshman-patrick-williams-declares-nba-draft

Florida State forward Patrick Williams announced Thursday he will forgo his sophomore season to enter the NBA draft.

The 6-foot-8, 225-pound Williams averaged 9.2 points and 4.0 rebounds in his freshman season.

He is the 20th-ranked prospect in ESPN's draft prospect rankings.

Williams is the second FSU player to declare his eligibility for the draft. Sophomore guard Devin Vassell, who led the Seminoles with 12.7 points per game this season, also has said that he'd enter the draft.

The NBA draft is scheduled for June 25, but following worldwide suspensions of basketball activities amid the coronavirus outbreak, NBA front-office executives and others in the industry told ESPN they are bracing for the potential impact of a delayed 2020 draft with a heavily reduced pre-draft process.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28942980/devin-vassell-entering-nba-draft-two-years-florida-state

Florida State guard Devin Vassell, projected as a potential first-round pick, has declared his eligibility for the NBA draft.

Vassell announced on social media on Monday that he would be leaving the Seminoles. Vassell is projected as the 19th-best available player on ESPN's draft board.

"What an incredible two years, Nole Family," he wrote. "It is with a heart full of gratitude that I am entering my name in the 2020 NBA Draft. I'll never forget the amazing ride of these last two years, and I'm excited to see what the future holds."

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2020, 12:31:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
NBA Draft.net has us taking RJ Hampton at 17. 

Anyone have any thoughts on him? I like his speed and play-making. Needs to improve his shooting.

Really cool scouting breakdown with him and Mike Schmidt, see below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKmuRF--jQI

« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2020, 01:25:32 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28942980/devin-vassell-entering-nba-draft-two-years-florida-state

Florida State guard Devin Vassell, projected as a potential first-round pick, has declared his eligibility for the NBA draft.

Vassell announced on social media on Monday that he would be leaving the Seminoles. Vassell is projected as the 19th-best available player on ESPN's draft board.

This site's mock has Vassell to C's at #17

https://armchairdraftscout.wordpress.com/2020/03/22/2020-nba-mock-draft-covid-19-edition/

#17 Pick (from MEM):

Devin Vassell

Wing | SG/SF | 6’6″ 195 (6’10” Wingspan*)

Florida State | #24 | Sophomore | 19*

Prospect Rank: 14th

Key Stats: 12.7ppg | 5.1rpg | 1.6apg | 1.4spg | 1.0to in 28.8mpg

49% FG | 42% 3FG (2.2-5.2) | 74% FT | 59% TS

Strengths: Great run/jump athlete | Strong shooter from deep with high release | Intangibles | 2-way motor/upside | Defensive versatility

Weaknesses: 1-on-1 shot-creation | Frame could use some bulk | Half-court offense | Consistency?

The Fit: The Cs have 3 picks and a roster with plenty of young talent, so I’m banking on Ainge simply making “Ainge picks,” if he doesn’t choose to trade them. Vassell fits the bill as a strong 2-way wing who could fit right into their system — his frame/game remind me a bit of a young Josh Richardson.   

#18 Pick: RJ Hampton

Guard | PG/SG | 6’5″ 190 (6’8” Wingspan*)

New Zealand | #14 | International | 19*

Prospect Rank: 26th

Key Stats: 8.8ppg | 3.9rpg | 2.4apg | 1.1spg | 1.5to — in 20.6mpg

41% FG | 30% 3FG (0.9-2.9) | 68% FT | 49% TS

Strengths: Size to play either G spot | Strong run/jump athlete | J form shows promise | Capable shot-creator | Overall 2-way potential

Weaknesses: Not as dynamic with the ball as other top Gs | Shooting efficiency overseas | Early in development; no standout skills yet | Can he be a primary creator?

The Fit: I’m not as high on Hampton as some, but the long-term appeal is definitely there. Either way, he’d benefit from playing next to a guy like Doncic (eventually), where he won’t have to be the primary creator. He’d need some time regardless, but Dallas can afford to bring him along slowly.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 01:30:35 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2020, 04:14:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This site's mock has Vassell to C's at #17

https://armchairdraftscout.wordpress.com/2020/03/22/2020-nba-mock-draft-covid-19-edition/

#17 Pick (from MEM):

Devin Vassell

Wing | SG/SF | 6’6″ 195 (6’10” Wingspan*)

Florida State | #24 | Sophomore | 19*

Prospect Rank: 14th

Key Stats: 12.7ppg | 5.1rpg | 1.6apg | 1.4spg | 1.0to in 28.8mpg

49% FG | 42% 3FG (2.2-5.2) | 74% FT | 59% TS

Strengths: Great run/jump athlete | Strong shooter from deep with high release | Intangibles | 2-way motor/upside | Defensive versatility

Weaknesses: 1-on-1 shot-creation | Frame could use some bulk | Half-court offense | Consistency?

The Fit: The Cs have 3 picks and a roster with plenty of young talent, so I’m banking on Ainge simply making “Ainge picks,” if he doesn’t choose to trade them. Vassell fits the bill as a strong 2-way wing who could fit right into their system — his frame/game remind me a bit of a young Josh Richardson.   

#18 Pick: RJ Hampton

Guard | PG/SG | 6’5″ 190 (6’8” Wingspan*)

New Zealand | #14 | International | 19*

Prospect Rank: 26th

Key Stats: 8.8ppg | 3.9rpg | 2.4apg | 1.1spg | 1.5to — in 20.6mpg

41% FG | 30% 3FG (0.9-2.9) | 68% FT | 49% TS

Strengths: Size to play either G spot | Strong run/jump athlete | J form shows promise | Capable shot-creator | Overall 2-way potential

Weaknesses: Not as dynamic with the ball as other top Gs | Shooting efficiency overseas | Early in development; no standout skills yet | Can he be a primary creator?

The Fit: I’m not as high on Hampton as some, but the long-term appeal is definitely there. Either way, he’d benefit from playing next to a guy like Doncic (eventually), where he won’t have to be the primary creator. He’d need some time regardless, but Dallas can afford to bring him along slowly.
based on those write-ups, I'd take Vassell without hesitation.  sounds very much like an Ainge kind of pick

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2020, 06:25:18 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Would like ainge to draft at least one of these FSU kids. That FSU team played with unstoppable grit and looked ready to win the national championship. I wonder if they would get picked much higher had that happened. Nbadraft has us projected to take vassell with pick 30: https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28957 :-X719/fsu-freshman-patrick-williams-declares-nba-draft

Florida State forward Patrick Williams announced Thursday he will forgo his sophomore season to enter the NBA draft.

The 6-foot-8, 225-pound Williams averaged 9.2 points and 4.0 rebounds in his freshman season.

He is the 20th-ranked prospect in ESPN's draft prospect rankings.

Williams is the second FSU player to declare his eligibility for the draft. Sophomore guard Devin Vassell, who led the Seminoles with 12.7 points per game this season, also has said that he'd enter the draft.

The NBA draft is scheduled for June 25, but following worldwide suspensions of basketball activities amid the coronavirus outbreak, NBA front-office executives and others in the industry told ESPN they are bracing for the potential impact of a delayed 2020 draft with a heavily reduced pre-draft process.

"What an incredible two years, Nole Family," he wrote. "It is with a heart full of gratitude that I am entering my name in the 2020 NBA Draft. I'll never forget the amazing ride of these last two years, and I'm excited to see what the future holds."

Vassell, seems like a very safe pick who fills a highly sought after 3-D wing role. I wouldn’t be shocked if a later lottery team like NO drafts him as he easily fits in with the young core they are building.

Williams, very interesting player. He hits a lot of the statistical markers that indicate an NCAA player should be a good pro 1.5+ blk/stl per 36min and good ft% at 83%. He also possesses a clear nba frame/ build and is one of the youngest players in this draft. He role will be a little in clear. His measurements will be interesting he is listed at 6’8 225 with 6’11 wingspan, this makes him same size as Aaron Gordon. On offense I think he is more of a wing while on defense I think he will be a Grant Williams type undersized 4/5. Given his age and current build it isn’t a stretch to think he could easily bulk up to 240s and thrive as a small ball 5.

Williams falls into group along with McDaniels and Achiuwa who I think have a wide range of draft landing spots. I could absolutely see DA drafting him as a longer term developmental project.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2020, 06:34:24 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Anyone have any thoughts on him? I like his speed and play-making. Needs to improve his shooting.

If Hampton is available at #17 the big is a no brainer for me. He has a lot to work on but is one of the higher ceiling prospects in this class and the Cs have a roster construction that allows for gambling. Very similar to drafting Langford last year the talent is there it just needs to be developed.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2020, 05:07:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

If Hampton is available at #17 the big is a no brainer for me. He has a lot to work on but is one of the higher ceiling prospects in this class and the Cs have a roster construction that allows for gambling. Very similar to drafting Langford last year the talent is there it just needs to be developed.

the stats say he's 6'5 with a 6'8 wingspan.  what am I missing that makes him a big?  He's shorter than Vassell without as good a shot and a shorter wingspan