Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56366 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2020, 03:24:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thanks for legwork, Slam....TP

I really wonder what the Celtics would do with three new guys?

After adding:

Edwards
Grant
Langford
Waters

last year, adding three more sounds like trades, stashes, swaps, cuts and burns.

Whenever I look at these bigs on the draft boards? I just see Robert Williams over and over again. "We already have this guy." Ok, he's injured all the time.

Wanamaker - out
Poirier - out
???- out

TP back at ya for being a devoted reader

Personally, I look at the current roster and the 5 potential draft picks for next season and there's obviously a lack of roster spaces for everyone.

My (uneducated) guess.
-- Out:
- Poirier (not an NBA caliber player.  he's under contract but can't see any explanation for keeping him around)
-Wanamaker (better contract elsewhere and also the only player on the 15-man roster who isn't under some kind of contract next season)
-Semi ( Team option - nice player to have and at a nice price but C's really need to have someone better as a back up PF unless he really develops his offense the rest of the season)
-Green (non-guaranteed contract -  nice player to have if we didn't have other guards/wings under contract that we're hoping will develop and contribute next year)
Theis (non-guaranteed contract -- no way C's let him walk with how he's produced this year and at such a cheap cost)

Free Agency:
- Gordon can opt out but I suspect he opts in and gets signed to an extension.  if he does opt out, I have to believe it's because he's got a deal in place with Danny to resign.
- Kanter can opt out and likely will.  Can't help but see Danny using every means available to bring him back which likely means the MLE gets used to resign him. 
- with the MLE expected to be used up on Kanter, C's would be kicking the tires on vet min players if they have any slots open.

2-way
- Waters figures to make the club next year filling Wanamaker's spot
- Tacko will either be back on another 2-way deal or collecting a paycheck elsewhere.  he won't be ready for meaningful minutes for at least 2-3 years if ever.

Trade
- I don't see the core 5 or Theis going anywhere.
- Langford, GWill, Timelord, Edwards, Poirier, Waters and all of the draft picks are likely in play for a deal. I would expect Poirier to be moved at a bare minimum with likely the C's or Buck's picks going out for another bench guy or a future pick.  Might need both to move him.  Would anticipate Green or Edwards going out as part of that deal to free up some salary and a spot.

Draft:
- Memphis pick was almost assured to be kept when they looked like a lottery team but if they make the playoffs and the pick stays around 16-17 going into the draft I would not be surprised to see it used in a trade with one or more of our young players (other than Langford and GWill) to bring in a vet. 
- If Danny keeps the Memphis pick, I highly anticipate him dealing the other first rounders as part of a deal to move Poirier and/or to get a future pick from a team that doesn't have a pick this year.  If Danny doesn't trade the second rounders, I think use them to take flyers on guys to see if they might be able to stick with the club.  He tends to have pretty good results with the second rounders and they're not guaranteed contracts.

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 09:26:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Standings as of 2/7/20 -  will try to update weekly

Memphis pick tied #17—  (last playoff spot in the West) (protected top 6 )
                   Games Behind    Current Wins   Games Left   Last 10
Memphis               ---                    26                   31              7-3

—>  Memphis now has a winning record.  what’s up with this?  they were supposed to be comfortably in the lottery.  no one close to them in terms of record so just posting their record now

Boston Pick #26
                   Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Miami                    1.0                  34                      32               6-4
Denver                  ---                   36                      30               7-3
Boston                  ---                   35                     32                8-2
LA Clippers            +0.5                 36                     31                8-2
Toronto                 +1.5                 37                      31               10-0
-->C's had a good week record-wise relative to those around them and draft slot changed 3 spots.

Bucks Pick #30   -- (protected  top 7) 
Milwaukee                  —                      44                     31                9-1

-->  no change.  I’m just going to post the Bucks for this pick until someone gets within hailing distance of them.  At this point, I don’t see that happening short of a Giannis major injury.

Second Rounders:
Boston 56 (protected 31-53)  — C’s now losing the pick

Brooklyn 45 (least favorable of Brooklyn/Knicks — currently Brooklyn)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:36:53 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 09:33:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Memphis               ---                    26                   31              7-3

—>  Memphis now has a winning record.  what’s up with this?  they were supposed to be comfortably in the lottery.  no one close to them in terms of record so just posting their record now

Boston Pick #26
Miami                    1.0                  34                      32               6-4
Denver                  ---                   36                      30               7-3
Boston                  ---                   35                     32                8-2
LA Clippers            +0.5                 36                     31                8-2
Toronto                 +1.5                 37                      31               10-0
-->C's had a good week record-wise relative to those around them and draft slot changed 3 spots.

Milwaukee                  —                      44                     31                9-1

-->  no change.  I’m just going to post the Bucks for this pick until someone gets within hailing distance of them.  At this point, I don’t see that happening short of a Giannis major injury.

Second Rounders:

Brooklyn 46 (least favorable of Brooklyn/Knicks — currently Brooklyn)

Thanks for this.  One clarification — the Nets pick would be #45 as of today.  2nd rounders are based on record, regardless of making the playoffs, with the tiebreaker being the better pick goes to the team with the worse pick in the first round.

Right now the Nets are tied with Portland for the 15th worst record, meaning that pick would be 45, since Portland picks higher in the first round on account of being outside the playoffs.

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 09:36:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Boston Pick #26

Second Rounders:

Thanks for this.  One clarification — the Nets pick would be #45 as of today.  2nd rounders are based on record, regardless of making the playoffs, with the tiebreaker being the better pick goes to the team with the worse pick in the first round.

Right now the Nets are tied with Portland for the 15th worst record, meaning that pick would be 45, since Portland picks higher in the first round on account of being outside the playoffs.
excellent point.  I normally catch that but missed it while trying to rush this post.  TP for the sharp eye

fixed it in the post

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Hopefully Portland, with Lillard back, will push Memphis out of the playoffs and down to the 14th pick. Maybe with a significant injury a couple of more teams could pass them (San Antonio and NOLA) but it's doubtful. I think pick 14 is the most likely scenario. FECK!!

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 11:02:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Hopefully Portland, with Lillard back, will push Memphis out of the playoffs and down to the 14th pick. Maybe with a significant injury a couple of more teams could pass them (San Antonio and NOLA) but it's doubtful. I think pick 14 is the most likely scenario. FECK!!
SA should be better than Memphis with Aldridge and Derozan.  NO with a healthy Zion is looking like a handful.  I don't think it's unreasonable for both to catch and pass Memphis.  SA gains nothing by missing the playoffs and NO needs to sell their fans on being an up and coming team after having AD force his way out.  how funny would it be for Zion to push NO into the playoffs when AD couldn't do it.

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 11:20:31 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
SA should be better than Memphis with Aldridge and Derozan.  NO with a healthy Zion is looking like a handful.  I don't think it's unreasonable for both to catch and pass Memphis.  SA gains nothing by missing the playoffs and NO needs to sell their fans on being an up and coming team after having AD force his way out.  how funny would it be for Zion to push NO into the playoffs when AD couldn't do it.

Deleted mine - misread a stat.

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2020, 02:08:01 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
thought this was interesting

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.html

current projections go along with the general eye test. I would expect Portland to be able to pull it together late and sneak into the 8th seed leaving Memphis in the lottery.

Funny thing about this draft is the way its shaping up I'm not convinced the #6 pick has much more value then the #14.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2020, 03:47:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
thought this was interesting

https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.html

current projections go along with the general eye test. I would expect Portland to be able to pull it together late and sneak into the 8th seed leaving Memphis in the lottery.

Funny thing about this draft is the way its shaping up I'm not convinced the #6 pick has much more value then the #14.

Last year's #3 to #14 range seemed that way too. Still does. #11 and Saric were traded for #6. #8 and #17 for #4.

Go Lillard, make that MEM pick #14! Too bad about the refs not calling that goaltend vs. UTA.

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 10:48:38 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
The Portland loss to Memphis last night was pretty big as far as standings go. I cannot believe what I am seeing from this Grizz team.

That said, I've read posts and seen his name mentioned as a possible (Memphis) pick but wasn't crazy about the idea. Isaac Okoro. My goodness, this kid can defend the NBA right now. 6'6 and moves so effortlessly. Cannot really shoot the ball right now but shoots it anyways, from deep 3 even. I would not be against this pick if that is where Danny decides to go.

I also like Devin Vassell in that range. He has a nice shooting stroke from 3 and would be that Herro pick DA missed on last year.

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
One of the 3 UK guards would be nice..Quickley, Hagans or Maxey... all are very quick, good ball handlers and decent shooters
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2020, 11:37:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The Portland loss to Memphis last night was pretty big as far as standings go. I cannot believe what I am seeing from this Grizz team.

That said, I've read posts and seen his name mentioned as a possible (Memphis) pick but wasn't crazy about the idea. Isaac Okoro. My goodness, this kid can defend the NBA right now. 6'6 and moves so effortlessly. Cannot really shoot the ball right now but shoots it anyways, from deep 3 even. I would not be against this pick if that is where Danny decides to go.

I also like Devin Vassell in that range. He has a nice shooting stroke from 3 and would be that Herro pick DA missed on last year.

Okoro will be long gone by the time we use Memphis pick.

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2020, 11:48:26 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Memphis beat Portland last night. They're for real. And because they'll have a better record than the lowest east seeds, the pick is probably 16 or 17.

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Memphis beat Portland last night. They're for real. And because they'll have a better record than the lowest east seeds, the pick is probably 16 or 17.
I think the Pelicans catch them.  They are a much different team with Zion. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2020, 12:06:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Standings as of 2/13/20 -  will try to update weekly

Memphis               ---                    28                   28              8-2

—>  Memphis is really ticking me off with this unexpectedly successful season.  [dang] them. 

Boston Pick #27
                   Games Behind      Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
LA Clippers            +.5                     37                     28                6-4
Denver                  ---                      38                     27                7-3
Boston                 ---                      37                     29                 8-2

-->C's climbed another spot despite losing to Houston.  Big game with the Clips tonight and then the break

Milwaukee                  —                      46                     28                8-2

-->  no change.  I’m just going to post the Bucks for this pick until someone gets within hailing distance of them. 

Second Rounders:
Boston 57 (protected 31-53)  — C’s now losing the pick