Author Topic: Kemba trade idea via B/R  (Read 3077 times)

Kemba trade idea via B/R
« on: October 11, 2020, 07:43:26 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Quote from: B/R
Boston Celtics Receive: PG Dejounte Murray, C LaMarcus Aldridge, 2020 No. 11 overall pick

San Antonio Spurs Receive: PG Kemba Walker, C Enes Kanter

While Walker was signed to be the Celtics' go-to scorer, Jayson Tatum has proved capable of assuming the role, and Jaylen Brown outscored Walker in the playoffs (21.8 to 19.6 points per game), as well.

With Walker as the third option moving forward, the Celtics could flip him now while his value is still high and get some much-needed frontcourt help.

Aldridge is still playing at a high level (18.9 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.6 blocks) and has developed a nice outside shot (38.9 percent from three). He would be a huge upgrade over Daniel Theis at center and bring nine years of playoff experience.

Murray, 24, would better align with the Celtics' young wings than Walker, giving them an elite defensive backcourt with either Brown or Marcus Smart.

The Spurs need an injection of talent if they want to make the playoffs next season, and Walker would help create a one-two scoring punch with DeMar DeRozan. Getting Kanter would give them some size and rebounding to make up for the loss of Aldridge, and San Antonio looked good in the bubble even while the 35-year-old center was out following shoulder surgery.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2911665-trades-that-would-shock-every-nba-fanbase

https://tradenba.com/trades/gOqwWH2kh

Imo, Kemba is a luxury, not a necessity. I'm ready to move on from him for the right price. That being said, I don't like this trade.

- LMA ain't getting any younger. He isn't mobile enough to switch ball screens on the perimeter, hence he'd be a bad fit in our defensive system.
- Murray's injury history makes me uneasy.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 07:56:55 AM by Jvalin »

Re: Kemba trade idea via B/R
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 08:21:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Hard pass. Celtics are at their best when they are pushing the pace. Kemba excels that, LMA would not. LMA is a great half court player but we need Kemba more than we need an Aldridge.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:18:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No interest in Aldridge. Terrible defender and his passing doesn’t bridge the gap between the difference in his scoring and defensive capabilities.

Murray and Smart would probably not function well either on offence. Defensively would be great
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If it was Hayward with picks 26 and 47 it would be good. LMA only has one year left. At 35 its unsure when he will drop off. Could be this season or during his next contract.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 09:39:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Walker going be a Celtic for the next 4 years so get use to it..they not going to trade him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 09:50:16 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Who cares about Aldridge? He's just a super upgrade over Kanter, and a salary dump after next year.

The question is whether Murray is healthy. If he is, he gives us a young long all-NBA level defender at point guard. He's an efficient complimentary offensive player, which is what we really need at point going forward, and he's locked into a good long term deal. He's had several years of discipline under Pop. And we get out from under Kemba.

Perfect.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Kemba's a Celtic and has Celtic DNA.

He has that mentality to lead when NEEDED but ALSO to step back when he realizes that one (or BOTH) of The Young Jays, Smart or GH has a hot hand.

As hard as he worked in CHA I'd gather that he LOVES having this much talent around him.

He's starting to move past his prime but he will ALWAYS be a GREAT teammate - this is indicative of the IMMEDIATE change in MOOD and MORALE on this team as we moved on from the drama we had before.

He ALSO leads our team in assists, correct? And he's a decent defender?

Kemba stays a Celtic for the rest of his playing days, I hope.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 11:14:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think I trust Aldridge to be able to make an impact come playoff time at age 35.

I'm also persuaded that the Celtics can't afford to trade a guy that signed to a big contract in free agency one year later unless it's a mutual decision.  They need to maintain cred with potential free agents.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 11:27:22 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Value wise it's a good trade for the C's imo.  Pick 11 plus 14 probably gets you Okongwu, or it gets you Vassell on it's own...so that you can take Achiuwa or P Williams or S. Bey at 14.

Heart wise it's a no go. I think the C's are going to try to win with the guys they've got...and a shored up bench.

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 12:04:38 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Kemba's a Celtic and has Celtic DNA.

He has that mentality to lead when NEEDED but ALSO to step back when he realizes that one (or BOTH) of The Young Jays, Smart or GH has a hot hand.

As hard as he worked in CHA I'd gather that he LOVES having this much talent around him.

He's starting to move past his prime but he will ALWAYS be a GREAT teammate - this is indicative of the IMMEDIATE change in MOOD and MORALE on this team as we moved on from the drama we had before.

He ALSO leads our team in assists, correct? And he's a decent defender?

Kemba stays a Celtic for the rest of his playing days, I hope.

Kemba, by all accounts, is a great person and teammate. He was solid in the regular season. I root for him. But i don’t see him as a guy who takes over at crunch time in the playoffs. I don’t know enough about Murray’s game, but I’m at least intrigued. Murray-Brown-Hayward-Tatum feels like it has plenty of scoring, better defense, more than enough ballhandling. If it also gave us another draft asset to use to trade up or get a big I‘m intrigued. No idea what Aldridge can give, but he’s at very least a bench big/situational big who’s been there (upgrade over Kanter) and comes off the books in a year.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 01:51:42 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Here's an idea for a blockbuster:

https://tradenba.com/trades/8kaJzPSnf

Blazers in: Middleton
Bucks in: Kemba
Celtics in: McCollum

Feel free to include pick(s) if you deem it necessary. Based on the following link from BlazersEdge, the Blazers might be willing to include a couple of firsts for Middleton. Apparently, most Blazers fans would be on board with it.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/9/4/21423109/portland-trail-blazers-trades-2020-salary-cap-khris-middleton-cj-mccollum-celtics-bucks

Why for the Blazers:
- CJ is a bad fit next ro Lillard. They are both below average defenders.
- They already have a promising replacement at the SG position in Gary Trent Jr.
- Middleton would be a massive upgrade for them over Ariza/Melo.

Why for the Bucks:
- The Bucks need a closer. Giannis is a below average shooter and Middleton is an average shot creator. Time and again, he has failed to deliver in the clutch. Not sure whether Kemba is the answer to their problem, but imo he's a better shot creator than Middleton.
- Rumor has it that the Bucks are looking to move on from Bledsoe. If so, they may be interested in Kemba.

Why for the Celtics:
- Kemba got 4+ months of rest during the quarantine, yet he still wasn't himself in the playoffs. It's possible that he's facing a chronic issue with his left knee.
- I fully believe CJ is underrated cause he's playing off the ball. Imo, he's at his best when running the point. Fwiw, CJ has played 29 games without Lillard in his career. In these 29 games he has averaged 28.4 points, 6.2 assists and 5.1 rebounds.
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/cj-mccollum-career-stats-without-damian-lillard
- I'm not a fan of Kemba's contract (especially given his knee issue). CJ's contract ain't exactly a bargain either, but it's well below the max. We'd save $5,024,948 next season. That's basically the equivalent of the taxpayer MLE.

Kemba
2020/21: $34,379,100
2021/22: $36,016,200
2022/23: $37,653,300 (player option)

$36,106,200 per year

McCollum
2020/21: $29,354,152
2021/22: $30,864,198
2022/23: $33,333,333
2022/23: $35,802,469

$32,338,538 per year
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:58:04 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 02:06:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not sure why we’d do Kemba for McCollum. Lateral move at absolute best talent wise. Given what we saw with Kemba being attacked on the defensive end I’d hate to see us with McCollum.

Would rather just go for Middleton and go super tall. Hayward runs the point on offence with Tatum and Middleton as secondary playmakers
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 02:08:41 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Celtics sadly wouldn't part Kemba Walker just a year after giving him a max contract. Does Anthony Davis's dad ring a bell about "loyalty"...could be a bad narrative for the Celtics in the long-run if they were to ship him out so soon. I'd do it if it involves getting a superstar like Giannis though.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 02:32:24 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Here's an idea for a blockbuster:

https://tradenba.com/trades/8kaJzPSnf

Blazers in: Middleton
Bucks in: Kemba
Celtics in: McCollum

Feel free to include pick(s) if you deem it necessary. Based on the following link from BlazersEdge, the Blazers might be willing to include a couple of firsts for Middleton. Apparently, most Blazers fans would be on board with it.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/9/4/21423109/portland-trail-blazers-trades-2020-salary-cap-khris-middleton-cj-mccollum-celtics-bucks

Why for the Blazers:
- CJ is a bad fit next ro Lillard. They are both below average defenders.
- They already have a promising replacement at the SG position in Gary Trent Jr.
- Middleton would be a massive upgrade for them over Ariza/Melo.

Why for the Bucks:
- The Bucks need a closer. Giannis is a below average shooter and Middleton is an average shot creator. Time and again, he has failed to deliver in the clutch. Not sure whether Kemba is the answer to their problem, but imo he's a better shot creator than Middleton.
- Rumor has it that the Bucks are looking to move on from Bledsoe. If so, they may be interested in Kemba.

Why for the Celtics:
- Kemba got 4+ months of rest during the quarantine, yet he still wasn't himself in the playoffs. It's possible that he's facing a chronic issue with his left knee.
- I fully believe CJ is underrated cause he's playing off the ball. Imo, he's at his best when running the point. Fwiw, CJ has played 29 games without Lillard in his career. In these 29 games he has averaged 28.4 points, 6.2 assists and 5.1 rebounds.
https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/cj-mccollum-career-stats-without-damian-lillard
- I'm not a fan of Kemba's contract (especially given his knee issue). CJ's contract ain't exactly a bargain either, but it's well below the max. We'd save $5,024,948 next season. That's basically the equivalent of the taxpayer MLE.

Kemba
2020/21: $34,379,100
2021/22: $36,016,200
2022/23: $37,653,300 (player option)

$36,106,200 per year

McCollum
2020/21: $29,354,152
2021/22: $30,864,198
2022/23: $33,333,333
2022/23: $35,802,469

$32,338,538 per year
So you're suggesting that we downgrade from a top 20-30 point guard into a top 40-50 guard who has a weird skillset (he actually doesn't do that well when he's the primary ball handler despite his raw slash line, a look at tracking data, composite box and scaled +/- metrics would suggest that he's best in his current role in Portland as an on/off-ball hybrid guard) because of "possible chronic injury issues" and Milwaukee to give up a potential top 10 player who's actually a really good shot creator contrary to what you'd like to believe for an All-Star guard? ::)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 02:37:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Not sure why we’d do Kemba for McCollum. Lateral move at absolute best talent wise. Given what we saw with Kemba being attacked on the defensive end I’d hate to see us with McCollum.

Would rather just go for Middleton and go super tall. Hayward runs the point on offence with Tatum and Middleton as secondary playmakers
I don't think we can get Middleton unless we trade the farm for him, the lad was fantastic last season.

https://twitter.com/elgee35/status/1230660347205259265
Player A in the link is Khris Middleton without Giannis and player B is Khris Middleton without Giannis (the points and shots created numbers look even more impressive when you consider that they're adjusted for pace). Throw in really good wing defence with that offensive package and you're getting a borderline top 10 player in a historically stacked league.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:43:31 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA