Author Topic: In praise of Smartacus  (Read 10622 times)

Re: In praise of Smartacus
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2020, 04:25:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Let’s call a spade a spade, Marcus Smart is a mixed bag.

Terrific versatile defender but man, I definitely hate those early threes which he usually seems to attempt in the middle of a big run! Just bad timing and bad assessment of the situation! I mean, a step back 3 with 18 secs on the shot clock? I get that it tied the game and was big for us but man, what a terrible shot! The C’s had the heat on their heels. Imagine if that missed and the Heat got a transition bucket/FTs. Just a momentum killer.

- LilRip

« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2020, 11:22:13 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
In the Celtics two wins he's averaged 9.5 shots a game and 7 assists. In their three losses he's averaged 14.3 and 5.3 assists. In other words its better for the Celtics when Smart plays within himself and lets other people carry the scoring load.

Or Smart is the player that picks up the slack when others are struggling, and those players need to step up (so Smart doesn't have to/feel he has to)

The entire offense bogs down at times (ESPECIALLY off ball movement), and that leads to the ball handler finishing more possessions. That's not the ball handler's fault, it's the entire team's fault.

Ya I think this is partly true, I also think it is most definitely Smarts fault when he takes a deep three with 17 seconds left on the shot clock as he has done several times this series. Or when he launched a three when Jaylen Brown is literally alone under the basket.

But in general I agree, a lot of the time its just a symptom of the team playing passive.

And that's because one in 3 times it works, and the other 2 times he thinks it will work  :laugh:

Remember when he hit 5 3s in a row in the 4th quarter? Or that face up 3 that tied the game last game? It was a terrible shot but it went in. It's those situations that make him keep doing that. I think he simply believes every shot is going to go in. Shooters need to be confident but that's what he needs to temper.

Sure it occasionally works, but more often it doesn't. That makes it a bad shot. All I'm trying to say is its fine if we praise Smart, but I'm not going to forget all the stupid stuff he does on the court either that has contributed to some of our losses this post season. On the whole he does more good than harm, but the harm is really ugly.

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2020, 12:39:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't mind Marcus taking 3's in the flow of the offense. But not when there are 15 seconds left on the shot clock, and he hoists it up because  he is confident.

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2020, 05:53:48 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
for those of you who have not seen this article, it is an interesting read on many levels.

the parts about Smart facing racism in massachusetts was particularly unsetting, but not surprising for me.

worth reading. hint: it is not only about basketball, but about today's life as well.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/marcus-smart-nba-boston-celtics-covid-racial-injustice
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2020, 10:19:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
for those of you who have not seen this article, it is an interesting read on many levels.

the parts about Smart facing racism in massachusetts was particularly unsetting, but not surprising for me.

worth reading. hint: it is not only about basketball, but about today's life as well.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/marcus-smart-nba-boston-celtics-covid-racial-injustice

Great read thanks for posting.

Smart goes in depth about his experiences.

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I remember Smart telling that story when it first happened and couldn’t believe it. Glad it’s sticking with him in a positive way as well as for what it is - a negative. He’s a good role model
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2020, 11:34:17 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Love Smart. I want him to stay in Boston forever. Win a few rings, win a DPOY, get his jersey retired.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008