Author Topic: 2024 MLB Season  (Read 18176 times)

Re: 2023-24 MLB Offseason
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2023, 06:40:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Chris Sale to the Braves for Vaughn Grissom

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39208393/sources-red-sox-deal-chris-sale-braves-vaughn-grissom

WOW! Bold move.

Thanks for everything Sale, especially 2018.

Is Grissom any good or is this mostly a salary dump for the Sox?

Grissom tore up Triple-A and is only 22 years old. There's a lot of hype for him as a 2B and that's where he's projected to play with Boston. Atlanta did try using him at SS but it didn't work so well and also the Braves are pretty loaded as is so there weren't many spots for Grissom. He did hit his first HR at Fenway Park lol. Grissom isn't a power hitter but he's a really good hitter, and I think a reason he isn't seen as a shortstop going forward is because he has "modest range", but that's fine for 2B.

I think it's a mix of both. Sox save 10.5M, but also, I think it's just a needed separation for all parties (Sale and Boston). The last 3 years have just been inconsistent due to his health/injuries and the Sox were also probably sick of just relying on him to return each of the last 3 seasons. Now hopefully they go out and add 2 more pitchers to go along with Giolito-Bello-Pivetta in the rotation. Sale meanwhile removed his NTC and has a chance to compete for a WS with Atlanta in the NL

Adding Grissom does also make a few of their redundant OF/SS/2B prospects more expendable in a potential trade for an ace-caliber pitcher like Luzardo, Burnes, Framber Valdez, Cabrera, etc. And it's likely the Sox will add Teoscar Hernandez and he plays OF.

So basically a salary dump  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2023, 08:26:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Grissom is a pretty solid prospect and he played well when Albies was injured in 2021, but he has no real spot on the Braves because of Albies.  He doesn't have the defensive range to play SS, which the Braves tried and it didn't work.  You keep Grissom at 2B and he can start for years thoigh.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2023, 11:19:25 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Yeah, Grissom is a legit bat. I like the Red Sox infield right now. Hopefully Marcelo Mayer has a better year and can crack the lineup in the next two years. Is he going to be better than Trevor Story? I'm not quite sure.

I also like the Giolito signing and getting rid of Sale. The guy's health and potential were too frustrating, given his lack of production over the last couple of years.

I want another top pitcher , and I think the rotation is set:

Snell
Giolito
Bello
Pivetta
Crawford/Houck/Whitlock

The Sox also need another outfielder. I think they're waiting for prospects.

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2023, 12:50:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I like what my Braves are doing.  They need to keep pace with the Dodgers.  Sale as a 4th starter is nice. Good innings eater at that spot if he stays remotely healthy.  Grissom was nice injury insurance but if you can trade a bench guy for a "quality" starter, I think you have to. 

Starters - Strider, Fried, Morton, Sale, Elder (and a couple of young guys they can call up if needed)
Bullpen - Iglesias, Minter, Jimenez, and solid depth
Starters - Olson, Albies, Arcia, Riley, Murphy, Acuna, Harris, Kelenic, Ozuna
Bench - D'Arnaud, Wall

Still need a solid utility infielder for bench, but team is shaping up nicely.

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2023, 01:20:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like what my Braves are doing.  They need to keep pace with the Dodgers.  Sale as a 4th starter is nice. Good innings eater at that spot if he stays remotely healthy.  Grissom was nice injury insurance but if you can trade a bench guy for a "quality" starter, I think you have to. 

Starters - Strider, Fried, Morton, Sale, Elder (and a couple of young guys they can call up if needed)
Bullpen - Iglesias, Minter, Jimenez, and solid depth
Starters - Olson, Albies, Arcia, Riley, Murphy, Acuna, Harris, Kelenic, Ozuna
Bench - D'Arnaud, Wall

Still need a solid utility infielder for bench, but team is shaping up nicely.

That injury history is rough.  I wouldn't rely on him much, but at a reduced salary and a potentially average 2B / poor SS, it's worth it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
“According to baseball sources, the front office went into last winter with a mandated budget of $225 million, which was significantly under the first CBT threshold of $233 million,” Cotillo wrote. “Boston did not come close to paying the luxury tax in 2023, when the club finished last; estimations had Boston’s payroll just a hair over that $225 million mark by the end of the year.”

Despite Red Sox chairman Tom Werner’s claim of the team going “full throttle” this offseason, Boston’s spending habits have reportedly befuddled the rest of MLB, as well as several free agents.

“I’ve talked to a lot of agents this week and I made it a point to … talk to rival executives, talk to agents to see what the Red Sox were doing,” Chris Cotillo said on his “Fenway Rundown” podcast on Friday. “A few of them were just very clear – [the Red Sox] are acting like a small market team. ‘They like my player, but they are not going to be the aggressive bidders.’”

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2023, 05:52:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
“According to baseball sources, the front office went into last winter with a mandated budget of $225 million, which was significantly under the first CBT threshold of $233 million,” Cotillo wrote. “Boston did not come close to paying the luxury tax in 2023, when the club finished last; estimations had Boston’s payroll just a hair over that $225 million mark by the end of the year.”

Despite Red Sox chairman Tom Werner’s claim of the team going “full throttle” this offseason, Boston’s spending habits have reportedly befuddled the rest of MLB, as well as several free agents.

“I’ve talked to a lot of agents this week and I made it a point to … talk to rival executives, talk to agents to see what the Red Sox were doing,” Chris Cotillo said on his “Fenway Rundown” podcast on Friday. “A few of them were just very clear – [the Red Sox] are acting like a small market team. ‘They like my player, but they are not going to be the aggressive bidders.’”

Yeah I posted it on baseball reddit too. Can't say I'm surprised, but it's pathetic.

Even now they may trade away their good closer in Jansen to "save money" since he makes 16M and they clearly want to stay under the luxury tax. They have about 40M to spend before hitting it and I think they want to add Teoscar Hernandez and 2 starting pitchers.

But still, for a team like the Sox there should be no doubts about going past the luxury tax, and they haven't even gone over it in 3 of the past 4 seasons.

Can't say I have much hype about the Sox this season. We'll see what they do but if it's minimal moves and clearly staying under the LT + cost-cutting I might just not go to Fenway. It's a shame, I do love going with my sister and friends during the summer but I don't have much interest in them right now. Didn't last season either. It's weird, the 2021 season was fun and they had a deep playoff run with electric vibes at Fenway and the city, but I guess ownership doesn't care about that anymore.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2023, 10:33:49 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

This is embarrassing.

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2024, 10:30:58 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Braves extended Sale. 2 years, 38 millin

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2024, 10:57:09 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Here it comes. 170 innings, 2.53 ERA, 250 Ks, 18-6 record
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2024, 11:16:45 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

That seems absolutely crazy to me. Why not see if he can get through one single season healthy?

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2024, 12:20:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That seems absolutely crazy to me. Why not see if he can get through one single season healthy?
I suppose it is so they don't have to answer any questions about his status and then his status is known

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2024, 01:05:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Offseason grades so far from ESPN

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/39265408/mlb-2023-2024-mid-offseason-grades-dodgers-yankees-mets

Red Sox got a C+ and no where near the bottom.

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2024, 09:17:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Orioles to be sold for 1.725 billion. Valuations in sports are so crazy theses days

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2024, 09:22:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Orioles to be sold for 1.725 billion. Valuations in sports are so crazy theses days

Wow, they have a couple of good seasons and sell high.  I lived in DC for a while and the Orioles have a good, old-school base of fans.  It is probably a good investment.