Author Topic: (Rumors) Should the C’s trade for Thaddeus Young or Brook Lopez?  (Read 7722 times)

Re: (Rumors) Should the C’s trade for Thaddeus Young or Brook Lopez?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Brook Lopez would be a terrible fit for this Celtics team. He is a slow, unathletic black hole. I've never been a fan of his game and don't want him to be part of this Celtics team, especially with his horrid contract.

I've also never been too high on Thad Young. Love how this great source lists Thad as filling in for the lack of offense amongst Amir and David Lee...Uh what? Last I checked Thad Young has never really been an offensive juggernaut. He is having a decent stats season on a bad team this year averaging 16 and 9...But he has only averaged 6+ rebounds a game once in his career...That's pretty dismal for a young power forward. He's young and athletic but not particularly good at offense, in my eyes he's around the jeff green level of defense as he is strong and athletic so he can body some guys up, but he can't space the floor at all.

I say no to both of these trades. Use a first round pick on a package that will actually help the needle move up as opposed to moving it laterally.
Thad Young is Jeff Green without the ability to guard small. Not what we need right now.

I don't watch him all that much but that's pretty much where my assumption on him stands as well. I also know that Jeff Green isn't shooting it all that great but on the offensive end, he spaces the floor much better than Thad can.

So Thad Young is a Jeff Green who can't guard small or space/shoot. Not what we need right now at all.

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Brook Lopez would be a terrible fit for this Celtics team. He is a slow, unathletic black hole. I've never been a fan of his game and don't want him to be part of this Celtics team, especially with his horrid contract.

I've also never been too high on Thad Young. Love how this great source lists Thad as filling in for the lack of offense amongst Amir and David Lee...Uh what? Last I checked Thad Young has never really been an offensive juggernaut. He is having a decent stats season on a bad team this year averaging 16 and 9...But he has only averaged 6+ rebounds a game once in his career...That's pretty dismal for a young power forward. He's young and athletic but not particularly good at offense, in my eyes he's around the jeff green level of defense as he is strong and athletic so he can body some guys up, but he can't space the floor at all.

I say no to both of these trades. Use a first round pick on a package that will actually help the needle move up as opposed to moving it laterally.
Thad Young is Jeff Green without the ability to guard small. Not what we need right now.

I don't watch him all that much but that's pretty much where my assumption on him stands as well. I also know that Jeff Green isn't shooting it all that great but on the offensive end, he spaces the floor much better than Thad can.

So Thad Young is a Jeff Green who can't guard small or space/shoot. Not what we need right now at all.
Thad Young is a much better defender than Jeff Green. So there is that.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 01:29:06 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Brook Lopez was a guy I begged and clamored for during the Big 3 era when we were slow and almost exclusively ran a halfcourt offense.  Even later on when the offense shifted to run around Rondo, I would have LOVED to see those 2 run the pick and roll with KG/Pierce spacing the floor and waiting for WIDE open shots.  The thought reminded me of how absolutely dominant we were with Rondo and Shaq together and all the easy buckets we would get.

As of now, I think he might actually be detrimental to our offense.  I don't even really like Sully out there because he just slows us down SO MUCH compared to Johnson/Kelly/Lee/Zeller who sprint down the court EVERY possession and tire out the other team.  Lopez is even slower.

As for T. Young, I wouldn't touch him with a 20 ft pole.  I like him as a player, and I love him as a scorer, but that's kinda the same way I felt about Jeff Green.  Young is a 3rd/4th complimentary piece to a championship team.  Building around him would be absolutely ludicrous.  He's certainly no Draymond Green or Kawhi Leonard.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Lopez would be Boston's best player.  Obviously depending on the package, any time you can acquire a guy that becomes your best player you have to consider.  I agree he isn't the best fit for the current system, but the real question is, are we only running this system because it gives a team of lesser talent a chance to compete with more talented players, or is this the only system Stevens will run.  If it is the former, then adding a real legit center who instantly becomes Boston's best player makes a ton of sense (even if said player isn't a great rebounder or defender).  Again it depends on the package needed to acquire him, but I would absolutely acquire Lopez in an instant if the price was right (and I mean trade price not actual salary).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
What we need is a 2 for 1 (or 3 for 1) trade to clear up roster logjams. At the moment we have 6 guys that can play the PF position : Sully, Amir, Kelly, Lee, Jerebko, Mickey.
I know most of them play other positions as well, but still that’s way too many players and we should definitely trade away some of them.

For instance
Jerebko, Kelly, Rozier for Thad Young

Young is a 3rd/4th complimentary piece to a championship team.  Building around him would be absolutely ludicrous.  He's certainly no Draymond Green or Kawhi Leonard.
Who said anything about building around Thad Young???
If you ask me I wanna build around Ben Simmons. By trading for either Young or Brook, the Nets pick becomes more valuable, hence we increase our chances with Simmons. That’s the number one reason to go ahead with the trade. 

Thad Young can definitely guard small. After all, when he was younger he was a SF. He is also a 32% shooter from the 3 pt line (for his career). Not bad, I guess.

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What we need is a 2 for 1 (or 3 for 1) trade to clear up roster logjams. At the moment we have 6 guys that can play the PF position : Sully, Amir, Kelly, Lee, Jerebko, Mickey.
I know most of them play other positions as well, but still that’s way too many players and we should definitely trade away some of them.

For instance
Or we can just play Amir Johnson.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

For instance
Or we can just play Amir Johnson.

Exactly.

I like Jerebko, KO, and Rozier all miles better than Young. That trade should never be looked at.

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 05:08:57 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
So you ’re telling me you ’d rather have Amir (at 12 million a year) than Thad Young? 

Amir and Jerebko were most likely signed as trade chips with a view to the trade deadline/draft night. Hate to say it, but that’s why they are here and that’s why their second year is not guaranteed. As for Rozier, he is probably a bust.

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
So you ’re telling me you ’d rather have Amir (at 12 million a year) than Thad Young?
I'm telling you I'm not going to give up anything in a lateral move getting a player that is (1) largely redundant, and (2) not a major upgrade.

As for the specific question at hand, I'd much rather have Amir Johnson, who seems to be the only player on the current roster who can block a shot.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 05:18:49 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
He is also averaging 18 points/game for his career. His stats for this season are 20.2 points, 8 rebounds, 2.3 blocks per 34.3 minutes.

The thing is that if we trade for Brook or Young, the Nets pick becomes a lot more valuable.

Brook for Lee, Zeller and future pick(s) makes the Nets a far worse team than they are right now. After all, Brook and Young are the best players on their current roster.

Who cares?

The guy can't rebound, he can't stay on the court, and he's being paid as much as Bradley, Thomas and Smart combined. If we could take him for free I'd say fine, but there is no way I am giving up any assets of value (including / especially Nets picks) for that guy.

For most guys now days a trade is better value than a FA signing, because many players will still be on old deals going in to the cap rises.  Brook Lopez is on such a ludicrously high contract that even AFTER the cap rise it will still seem like bad value.

Theddeus Young is the better value of the two players right now, but he's also not that great a player.  He's an undersized PF who cannot protect the paint OR stretch the floor.  Not a good combination for today's NBA (or any NBA, for that matter).

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 05:20:20 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I'm telling you I'm not going to give up anything in a lateral move getting a player that is (1) largely redundant, and (2) not a major upgrade.
It's not a lateral move because
1.   the Nets pick becomes more valuable
2.   Young > Amir

As for the specific question at hand, I'd much rather have Amir Johnson, who seems to be the only player on the current roster who can block a shot.
Jordan Mickey. But of course he is in Maine because we have 6 PF’s.

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I'll throw in with the anti-Lopez crowd. He's one of these players that somehow manages to blocks more than 2 shots a game and still be considered a bad defender by experts and advanced stats. And as others have noted, he's slow and ill-suited to the modern NBA that asks centers to be more active. At $20 mil, I don't really want him.

I like Thad Young but I don't think he's an upgrade on what we've got now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 05:27:41 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

I have to say, I agree with you.

Thaddeus Young is terribly overrated...I have no idea why his name is so well known.  He's a career 14 / 5 / 1 tweener who has never had had a consistent outside shot, has never been a good passer, and has never been able to defend the paint. 

At the start of the year I thought it might be a decent move as an upgrade over Crowder, but the way Crowder has been playing this year I honestly don't know if it even would be an upgrade.

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
2.   Young > Amir
You'll have a hard time convincing me that letting the Nets off the hook of Lopez's horrible contract helps our picks. And yes, it is a lateral move. Young is not talented enough to compensate for the fact that he does nothing great.

Jordan Mickey. But of course he is in Maine because we have 6 PF’s.
[/quote]
No, he's in Maine because he couldn't beat any of our other 5 PFs for an active roster spot. Trading away 2 of the 5 isn't going to make Mickey any better.

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
2.   Young > Amir

Your claim that Young is better than Amir is highly debatable. 

Please tell me what Thaddeus Young can do that Amir cannot?  What actual strategic advantage does this team gain by replacing Johnson with Young?

Defense?  No.
Ball movement? No.
Floor spacing? No.
Rebounding?  No.
Fnishing around the basket? No.
Toughness? No.
Rim protection?  No.
Intangibles?  No - Amir has a league wide reputation for his intangible values.

Oh and before you say scoring, take a look at Young's career history - he's only averaged >17 PPG once in his 9 year career, despite the fact that he's always been one of the top 2 or 3 offensive options on the teams he has played on.

Don't get me wrong Young is a nice player, but to have great value in this league you need to either do one or two things at an elite level, or else you need to do everything very well.  Young falls in neither of those two categories.  He does one or two things very well (but not elite), and is mediocre-to-average at everything else.  To make matters worse he is also a tweener in the most pure definition of the term, since his body and game aren't optimally suited to either the SF or PF spot. 

Young is basically a skinnier, more athletic Brandon Bass without the elite jumper. 

If you ask me Amir Johnson has more value because even though he also is not elite at any one thing, he does absolutely everything well.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:44:05 PM by crimson_stallion »