Author Topic: Grizzlies (3-1) vs Celtics (4-0) Vegas SL Game #5 7/13/19  (Read 27149 times)

Re: Grizzlies (3-1) vs Celtics (4-0) Vegas SL Game #5 7/13/19
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2019, 06:56:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Carson was the only one who looked like he belonged on NBA roster today for Celtics.

Robert Williams had a few decent moments, but added nothing on the offensive end.

Tre Waters was off, but we should cut him slack.

Grant Williams look small today. 

Tacko looked passive. Did not rebound well.

Memphis put a good defensive game plan in, and was incredible from 3 point range.  They outplayed us.

Loved how our bigs played "big" throughout the SL

But tonight got rocked....especially D end. You cant give up 2nd chances like that

Brings back a bad taste from last season

Cobolco was also a killer helping out as a power wing. The guys has ridiculous length

« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2019, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the coaches played Robert Williams big minutes and then got hurt with a serious injury late in the game, everyone here would be itching and moaning about these useless coaches that tried too hard to win a meaningless game.

It's the Summer League folks. It's a glorified practice/exhibition game. It means exactly nothing. Better to get your players home healthy, especially if you know which players will be at training camp already.

« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I wouldnt play Williams at all..summer leagues are useless for a player already on the team
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2019, 08:13:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If the coaches played Robert Williams big minutes and then got hurt with a serious injury late in the game, everyone here would be itching and moaning about these useless coaches that tried too hard to win a meaningless game.

They wanted the players to go home, it was pretty obvious through the game.

Grant was tried as a small ball big today and he failed pretty badly.

« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2019, 08:30:17 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370

It's the Summer League folks. It's a glorified practice/exhibition game. It means exactly nothing. Better to get your players home healthy, especially if you know which players will be at training camp already.

Celtics games are serious business [dang it]!!   >:(  ;D :P

Love the passion though. It was a fun couple of weeks at least, got to cheer for a likable team and got some insights into who might be able to help us this year and who might need more seasoning in the G League. As well as who might be better off finding another team to help.  :angel:

Props to Tre Waters for playing so soon after his father's death. I couldn't begin to imagine what he's going through.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2019, 08:34:09 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Watching the SL Celtics fall behind by settling for quick threes (14 3s out of 18 shots in the 2d quarter!!) left me with an all-too-familiar bad feeling.

« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2019, 09:25:40 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Unless C's have other plans for Tacko, I can't see justified reasons why Tacko only played 7 minutes. The guy is trying to make the main roster and the coached just denied him his opportunities. It's not like he was a huge liability on the court. In fact, it was total opposite.

« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2019, 09:35:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Unless C's have other plans for Tacko, I can't see justified reasons why Tacko only played 7 minutes. The guy is trying to make the main roster and the coached just denied him his opportunities. It's not like he was a huge liability on the court. In fact, it was total opposite.

maybe they had seen enough.

« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2019, 09:39:33 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

maybe they had seen enough.
During the game, I posted that they should run some plays for Tacko while he was in there. He was not engaged in the offense.

« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Summer league isn’t going to secure a spot for him.  He’s got his invite to training camp already, which is where he’ll earn a spot (or not).  Onuaku is a guy who they are thinking about for camp, so minutes should have gone to him.

« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2019, 09:55:51 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Summer league isn’t going to secure a spot for him.  He’s got his invite to training camp already, which is where he’ll earn a spot (or not).  Onuaku is a guy who they are thinking about for camp, so minutes should have gone to him.

Fair enough, although its still quite unfair when guys like Max Strus secured a 2-way spot while Tacko have to fight for it.

« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i saw it mentioned somewhere that during the game tacko grabbed his shoulder, then motioned to the bench. he came out shortly after that.

maybe the celtics did not want to take any chances with his health in a useless, unimportant summer league game.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2019, 10:18:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Fair enough, although its still quite unfair when guys like Max Strus secured a 2-way spot while Tacko have to fight for it.
As salty has stated, Tacko has a contract and is going to camp to compete for a spot. If the team decides to make him a two-way contract while cutting someone already on a two-way contract, it's not going to cost a lot of money. The team could also guarantee his year and give him the 15th slot. Getting as many guys into camp under some sort of team control with some flexibility is actually very smart. All these guys are all vying for their Celtic lives. The best guys will be retained, one way or the other.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 11:32:27 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2019, 10:35:19 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
I think organization and players wanted it over with. Selfishly speaking I wanted to watch the C's play some more games. I hope the attitude shown during the SL is a by-product of a organizational mission statement.

« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2019, 12:33:51 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I wouldnt play Williams at all..summer leagues are useless for a player already on the team

I agree.

If the goal was to avoid injury then why play Rob Williams at all?

I mean he was even put in the game in the 4th qtr.